2 car goose neck vs one car box and 1 car/2 car open combinations | FerrariChat

2 car goose neck vs one car box and 1 car/2 car open combinations

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Frank_C, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    New to tracking, been to COTA with my F12 and MSR Houston. Just picked up a 991.1 RS to track. I will join MSR and get to track it this week. I live 67 mi from MSR and 120 from COTA, all country roads and with my work schedule I can track every day if I wanted to (yes garage is a thought, but regardless I will need a trailer). I live in the country on 40 acres, have 2 barns, my '06 F350 and my wife's'19 F250 are both diesels. 99% of my driving will be either on country roads or highway, so a goose neck really has no negatives. Country roads also mean gravel so driving back and forth is not an option.

I suspect 90% of the time I'll be driving one car at a time at MSR and Ferrari days at COTA are just Ferrari. But I know there will be times when I will want and need to take both cars (as I start to join track clubs I'll want to track both cars at more venues).

So the question is long goose neck and be done with it, even though it will be a one car hauler most of the time? One car box and long 2 car open? Will I want a 1 car open or even a 1 car box for my short MSR runs even with the gooseneck? I have a spring '20 812 SF on order so kinda leery on open trailers or 2 cars on an open.

The biggest question I have is figuring out if a long goose neck is ok for a daily driver (as most with cabinets and non cramped floor space are 48'). Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks, Frank.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    You should also consider a stacker. It'll be shorter so it may be easier to maneuver than a long two-car trailer and the rear lifts make it way easier to load/unload low cars compared to ramps on other trailers. I'd always go for an enclosed trailer for the extra security of the car and equipment plus it can be a climate-controlled place to hang out between sessions.

SAFE4NOW and Manda racing like this.
  3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

My personal preference (be it single or two car) would be an enclosed Gooseneck trailer. For two cars, plus spares, tools, etc you are talking about a triple axle 40'+ trailer. Pulling a Stacker behind a conventional pickup is doable, but it's like pulling a parachute with it's tall frontal area.
    My advice is look for a decent used trailer before springing for a new one, trailers outrageously depreciate and you can pick up a lightly used fully outfitted one for a half or less of a new one. Here is a decent site for finding used and new trailers of various configurations/ accessories.

https://www.racingjunk.com

4. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    enclosed will be better, as you have an option of leaving the car inside the trailer till say next week for another track event. You don't want to leave your F12 on top of an open trailer during Texas thunderstorm / baking sun....

as for 1 or 2 cars. I have a feeling you will try 2 cars once, and realize tending to 2 cars on track is just too much work.

technom3 likes this.
  5. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have tracked the GT3 RS before I asked. A Beast!!! All I can say is I am impressed the F 12 can almost keep up with it. No point in getting a long trailer for me as I’ll be using only 1 car a time- went 3 times in this past week and the few times I’ll go out of town I’ll have them both shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Manda racing likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The only thing worse than a 1-car enclosed bumper pull is a 2-car enclosed bumper pull. :)

How far are you going, if less than 3-hours just track days 1-car I would do a nice aluminum open with front shield. You will be able to pull this with the family SUV or truck and still be able to haul ass down the highway 85 MPH. Also so easy storage, load, and unload.

Once you get into 2-cars and longer trips I would get a 1-ton truck, gooseneck, and 2-3 car enclosed.

GuyIncognito and BOKE like this.
  7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’d kinda like to add a open trailer too with shield and winch.

20’ vee nose enclosed wonderful privacy and security but minor PITA .

Btw— Craigslist is a good place to look if used.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well... i couldn't disagree more.

Wouldn't part with my too large 24 foot enlcosed aluminum trailer if you paid me twice for it. The thing is awesome. And if I ever pull anything worth more than 20k... it goes enclosed...

I also have a featherlite open... WHICH I LOVE for a quick 10 minute jaunt... and if its not too low... otherwise.... its enclosed... fully etracked... wheel strapped. on and on and on...

One broken windshield... one hail storm... one tire that flies up and hits the car... and you will kick yourself in the ass... ASK ME HOW I KNOW...

Also, I will load or unload a car in the rain in an enclosed.... on an open... F-that. Im not laying on a F'ing wet trailer. NO WAY

showme1946 likes this.
  9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Unmarked enclosed trailer for sure
    I like the 28 footers. Enough room for spares and an air mattress if you need a nap like me. Roof and a must. Mine s insulated with a silver roof so very company if needed for shelter. Easy tow with a 2500

10. jetracer21

jetracer21 Rookie

Apr 1, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    William
    Manda racing likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would certainly do a gooseneck in your case. the open aluminum has front protection and good for just going local 1-2 hours. if you are going further than that you don't want to deal with drivability of the bumper pull, go ahead get a gooseneck. yes I prefer enclosed, but once you've been spoiled with an open or a gooseneck you can't go back to a bumper pull.

Manda racing likes this.
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I of course appreciate your perspective but I own all 3 options. All that being said my gooseneck is a utility trailer I've had custom made/ordered because it's short. Now I can find a single buyer for it but that's a different story.

No matter what bug aluminum.

I've never had an issue with a featherlite open and pulling. I've always had a nice new modern truck as well and I drive carefully so I don't really find myself in evasive manuvering situationa but I have been extremely happy with my bumper pulls.

A 24 foot enclosed goose neck is just too short and LIGHT if you go aluminum.

I honestly would even touch a steel trailer (except utility trailers). They are often built like crap and not square and little engineering goes into them.

Pulling a featherlite or atc bumper pull pull like butter. Of course a gooseneck is better especially on high winds and poor weather. But... I don't go anywhere with my cars in high winds and bad weather. I guess I have that luxury.

Manda racing likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the opens bumper pull and tow great, 90 mph. I agree a gooseneck needs to be 30+, but they pull great. what doesn't pull great is an enclosed bumper pull 75+ mph.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I think we are on the same page. But Im in arizona where weather isn't an issue and my 24 foot pulls just fine from AZ to california but its a quality trailer and I keep everything fresh and do something few people do... check tire pressure.

Also, Id go with a weight distributing hitch if I was super concerned before I went gooseneck. BUT... If i was going to haul 2 cars... The only trailer to get is a Gooseneck

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Can’t imagine a 2 car bumper pull in a crosswind. My Trailex is perfect at 75, even up to 80 or more when passing. It’ll probably go at 80 all day long too.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, single car enclosed bumper is tough, but then nightmare longer you go. My Tundra rated for like 10k, but I pull 19k gooseneck between farms no problem.

17. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Have you thought about a toter with integral garage and pulling a trailer. I have a Showhauler RV with a rear lift and 19 ft garage which I use when going alone and add a single enclosed trailer when hauling a second car. You get to the track and you have all of the amenities including AC. I stay at the track so I can sleep longer in the morning and towing is no issue since the RV starts as a Volvo Semi. You can find used deals for a bargain.

rob lay likes this.
  18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  19. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There is this ugly black 40-50 ft gooseneck for$9900 down the road — kind of tempting b/c I’d like to haul 2 cars.

Attached Files:

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I actually like that!

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
  22. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Nothing that a custom wrap with graphics won't cure.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    as long as its a wave theme...

Manda racing likes this.
  24. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    William,

If you still have this trailer for sale, I am interested. Send me a PM, this is just what I have been looking for.

Thanks!@
    Cassidy

25. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Didn't notice this when posted, but there is some serious wrinkling in the side panels fwd and aft of the wheels. None of that is structural, but you gotta wonder if the thing was overloaded.