Steering Rack Install Question | FerrariChat

Steering Rack Install Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by chasjen, Aug 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chasjen

chasjen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I'm getting ready to replace my steering rack (85 308 QV). I'm a little fuzzy regards the steering wheel linkage. Any tips on getting it centered/aligned? Thanks.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    To index true centerpoint, I probably didn't do it the right way. But here's how I did it. I got the steering box linkage perfectly lined up, and then connected. Once that was locked down, I went with attaching the brackets to the frame. From there reattached the outer tie rods.

Afterwards, I put the car on the alignment rack and went from there. Alignment was quite nice, so in the end everything worked out nicely.

3. chasjen

chasjen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Thanks for the reply. So straighten the steering wheel and connect the linkage?

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think what you are asking for is what orientation of the splines on the rack to column interface to keep the steering wheel centered? If so, attach the column to the rack in any spline, turn all the way left. Carefully count the rotations all the way right. Back up exactly half of that. Separate the two, turn the wheel to be the correct orientation, reattach. Your alignment tech will get it right on using the tie rod ends, but you'll be close.

Or I misunderstand your question.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I might have misunderstood the question too. I was referring to putting the rack into the car, not describing how to get the wheels centered relative to the steering wheel.