7 Years of Joy - except for shifting | FerrariChat

7 Years of Joy - except for shifting

Discussion in '308/328' started by tiredtom, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tiredtom

tiredtom Karting

Feb 26, 2012
    Monterey County, CA
    Full Name:
    86 328 GTS
    I bought my 328 in 2012 and was lucky enough to get great support here on a couple of issues. I tried to use the search function but am doing something fundamentally wrong. I continue to enjoy the car but am still dissatisfied with the trans shifting. I know this was a perennial issue for many, but am wondering if there has been any new consensus beyond the Redline MT90 NS. Feel free to roast me for yet another trans oil thread...

2. tiredtom

tiredtom Karting

Feb 26, 2012
    Monterey County, CA
    Full Name:
    86 328 GTS
    Correction 75/90NS I believe was the best some years ago.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Redline MTL works just as well

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I wrote here many times: the problem is the play between the shifter turret and the gearbox connecting rod. Put a perfect fit no play bushing with a high precision machining and the gearbox will wonderfully work even when cold whatever oil and temperature there is.

If your connecting rod has some play, you can try all the existing oils without solving anything.

Ciao

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I tend to agree. Just came back an hour ago from a 100 miles trip with my '89 GTS, and I was precisely thinking during my trip how much I love that gearbox: once warm (about 15 miles) it is delightful. If I had to sell the car one day, I would miss that gear change. Never had any problem; a very precise machinery. I don't even know which oil is inside...
    Rgds

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Probably simple Agip Rotra MP 80W-90. Came from the factory, still easily available (in Europe) and cheap. Never had a problem. The only problem I ever had, was the shift rod silent block which was shot after 20 years. Put in a new OEM one and also replaced the one inside the car and shifting was back to precision.

Best Regards
    Martin

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Rifledriver (I believe) stated he only uses Redline MTL. I followed that advise, and my shifting immediately improved. 2nd gear is smooth even after a cold start.

miketuason likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Just checked: "Shell Transaxle 75W90".
    Rgds

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I put in Royal Purple last change based simply on the fact that it cost more so it's gotta be better.

308 milano likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    MTL does the trick in the f355s

11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    A local shop just changed my trans oil from Redline 75/90ns to I believe Agip. I'm now having some crunch downshifting from 5th to 4th and I've missed engaging 1st a couple of times. Because of the 1st issue I'm not blaming the trans oil yet.
    the shift shaft bushings are about 15 years old & 50Kish miles later. I'll have to check them out. Perhaps they are past their prime.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    that's the same I use, the best product in the Shell lineup. But it doesn't solve the problem: you have to eliminate the shifting connecting rod play (if you have some)

ciao

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One other simple test to do is to start the car in first gear on a level surface, clutch pedal depressed, without the brakes nor emergency brake applied -- if the coachwork lurches/moves forward = a sign the clutch is not disengaging well/fully. Of course, you need to leave some safety room in front of the coachwork in case it does move forward or even start-up. Probably not the issue, but something very easy/quick to test.