488 Pista Audio Options | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Audio Options

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rrr1, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I specced the basic sound system. I had the upgrade in my 488 and it was crap.

2. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    No radio at all?? Did you delete it. I only had the two options when I specced so I went with the upgraded one. Sounds great to me but my wife’s range sounds better than the pista and the 991 Burmeister. Actually I think my raptor and the pista are a tie in the audio dept.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have no radio or speakers. I figure my car is as light as a Pista can be - every carbon option including the wheels. I really need to weight this thing and report back so we have some real data.

LVP488, Autolove and SoCal to az like this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I agree 99%. I believe you haven't sat is a Car Audio's Car :) It just cost a lot of money and you have to have the right car

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Ive got the jbl upgrade in the pista. Road noise kills all these systems anyway but still glad i have it. If im parked waiting I want to listen to something that sounds at least half decent quality. No sense paying for a lesser system that sounds like total crap .

Rrr1 likes this.
  6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    At speed the sound is junk from road noise?
    I’m still vacillating if it’s worth the spend.

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Save your money, if you read all comments here it seems obvious !

C50 likes this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Your call but to me it wouldnt matter how much you spend because the road noise kills it. The only consolation in spending the extra for the jbl premium is that at least you have some semblance of coherent sound where the base would just be a static fuzz which may as well be switched off.

C50 likes this.
  9. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I went with the upgrade, but I couldn't really notice the difference b/w standard audio when I listened to them in the 488s. I also wouldn't buy a car without a radio - but that's just me.

Boomhauer, Shadowfax and C50 like this.
  10. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I figured the road noise would negate any marginal improvement the premium system has over the standard one.

Thank you, boys
    Saved me some cash
    The jbl is off the list

Melvok likes this.
  11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I put a JL Audio aftermarket system in with subs, EQ and monster cable in my Speciale with the factory head. Changed out the tweets to Steinway (Yes , that Steinway) and the kids to JL. 6 k all in and you could not see anything at all that didn’t look bone stock. Sounded even better than the engine!

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I did something similar a while back to my 430 spider. Swapped the speakers with Focals, new EQ, cabling and custom sub. You would never know unless you pulled the grills off.

MANDALAY likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #38 Shadowfax, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Rrr1,
    I found the opposite - there was a significant difference hence why i went the premium route in both 488 and Pista. The main difference i found is when you’re driving the car and the sound system is left to contend with the engine and road noise. In the 488 the premium did quite well in its own up against the elements mentioned. The same situation applies with Pista but to a much lesser extent. Its only when driving on coarse bitumen that it becomes less audible and is a bit of a waste of time in those types of situations.

I see the main problem here as being the option cost which tends to get in the way of things, but when you consider the cost of the car the sound represents a very small percentage so it comes down to removing the likely regrets which usually come about after all the bubble and fizz dies down after the new car delivery experience.

Rrr1 likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The only way to mask the engine / road noise etc is to have a louder system. The other option is to add sound absorbing/sound deadening materials. Both of which I have done to my competition cars but would never do to a Ferrari. Reason because I want and adore the other sounds :)

And a bigger system even though more enjoyable it will always be OK and not perfection.

Shadowfax likes this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I personally found with Pista not having sound deadening has robbed the driver from hearing the sound of the engine better. Jmo. The sound system is just further collateral damage. i found the gt porsches have a better blend of raw and edgy with no deadening as a more successful part of that equation.

Rrr1 likes this.
  16. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Disagree totally. My 991.2tt has Burmester and it is much better than upgraded JBL.

Rrr1 and Shadowfax like this.
  17. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    JBL in the regular 488 is awesome. JBL in the Pista lacks the subs and quite some power but is a must even if just want to listen to the radio from time to time. Every little bluetooth speaker sounds better than the basic system.

18. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I think the upgraded system is right for the car. I left no regrets when i ordered with the exception of not getting the factory floor mats. Aftermarket mats just don’t work well on the alum floors

19. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    I specced the JBL on my 2019 488, and I was very, very happy with it. My prior experience with was with the standard system in the Speciale, and I've got to tell you it was the worst system I've ever experienced...thankfully, I never turned it on, given the sonorous engine note of that magnificent NA V8. When I specced the Pista, I opted against the JBL, based on my theory that I will once again be more interested in the soundtrack behind my bald melon. I'm sure the only time I'll regret it is when I'm sitting in the car, with the engine off, listening to music. I predict that this will happen exactly never.

20. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Do you have more pics of your setup?

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Did you ever weigh it?

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    No but I should, it would be interesting to see what the net difference is. Mine has carbon everything, even the floors. My guess is that all this might equal ~100lbs. Basically a wife.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  23. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    the dealer said they cannot do the upgrade for a Pista from the basic system to JBL...
    what other options i have?
    I am a music person, I know it wont be very good anyway but at least decent?

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You would have to go aftermarket but then that might kill resale. Get a portable Bose speaker and use Bluetooth. Stick the speaker in the metro by behind you.

25. Best audio system for the Pista is to roll down the windows and push hard with your right foot.

Lupo and AD211 like this.