The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 15 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
  2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Right... good examples. None of them outside of the C8 have a rear trunk.

C8 is about 6” too long near the rear wheel well. Kind of like the original Acura nsx which had the same proportions problem. May be related to the need for the golf club extra trunk. Or a bmw 750 with the extra L ...

I’m a commercial photographer so my work is about visual balance whether that is symmetrical or asymmetrical. I appreciate great design.

The C8 doesn’t have it in the rear. Sorry.

If you love it. More power to you. Would I kick it out of bed? Probably not. But i can’t unsee the proportions. I put my money where my mouth... and visuals go. Bought a 360 to go with my F355.

Robb

INTMD8 and kes7u like this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    much more (too much?) side fender/front overhang on the others

95spiderman likes this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Not disagreeing on the proportions.... however, I'll reserve judgement until I see and drive and hear in person.

Also this is GM's 1st iteration of design...…. expect to see an evolution of sorts.....

kind of like how F went from Mondial to 308 to pista…… it will get better (I HOPE!!!!!)

would pinanfarina do a body for GM????????? why not?

Robb likes this.
  5. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    So I’m looking forward to purchasing my first Ferrari.

That being said, part of that will ultimately involve me needing to convince myself not to make life easier by just getting the Vette.

I’m pretty sure I can do that. At least for the first Ferrari.

But still, if the C8 was just a reworked C7, that internal mental conversation would NEVER happen.

So ultimately, when I get my first Ferrari, it will be because I’ve talked myself into it, and out of a McLaren or C8.

Already scratched the 911 itch with an air cooled car. No point in driving a water cooled car - I’d rather just enjoy the fond memory of owning that car.

Frankly, I imagine NSX and R8 owners have to feel horrible right around now.

6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I believe they are being very careful which images of the C8 are revealed. I think this is a good example of the problems with the width and length of the rear of this car. Is that the batmobile, or a Corvette???

In the end, if you love the look of this car, you'll buy it. If you like the looks, but not as much as a Ferrari, then you have to decide how much the added performance outweighs not getting to gaze at a Ferrari in your garage.

Kevin

KC360 FL likes this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Not exactly the same angle but yes, see how much longer the rear is in the C8 because of that trunk. That’s not a plus visually.

If all you care about is the view from the wheel then it might not matter to you.

Robb

kes7u likes this.
  8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Most customers would gladly take the extra trunk over a fairly minor visual design difference. I've never needed 2 trunks and if I ever did drive a car with a small trunk I'd pack accordingly but 2 trunks is still quite useful.

The LaFerrari and Enzo/MC12 have longer rears too.

9. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    This.

That being said, I understand why they said you could fit two golf bags, but they really should have used another unit of measurement.

Golf will always carry an element of senior citizenship to it. I know that people of all ages suffer through the frustration provided by the sport, but there is definitely an over representation of older folks on the links.

10. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    the front overhang on the Enzo is ridiculous. (love the low and wiiide rear)

kes7u likes this.
  12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow the enzo was ugly at launch and its even worse now. worst ferrari design of modern era

Lagunascorpio likes this.
  13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So golf is important to their current demographic, but my sense is that golfing is on the decline. Designing a car to cater to that group is fine, but hopefully not a mistake to the extent that accommodation resulted in a design compromise.

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/06/the-next-housing-battleground-dead-golf-courses/561896/

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

one4torque likes this.
  14. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The rear of the C8 slopes upward rather than the Enzo, which slopes downward. Thus, while the length appears similar, the overall heft of the C8 rear end dominates its appearance from several angles.

But seriously. If you have to convince yourself that you are happy with the appearance of a car, you will never be truly satisfied. Never had to even attempt to convince myself I loved the look of my Ferrari.

Kevin

15. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes. A great example. The fender of the Ferrari is sloping inward towards the rear, with the headlight protruding. The C8 continues to take a straight beeline to the outside all the way to the rear. And the obvious appearance of length disparity of the rear as you mentioned.

Kevin

16. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    I think instead of designing just for golf clubs, taking into account standard luggage sizes and showing how those fit would be much more universal.

I took up golf several years ago, but didn’t stick with it. I was literally inspired by a public course I would often drive by that was really gorgeous.

Frankly, I think golf carts ruin the appeal of the activity. I don’t have an issue with a hand cart.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  18. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    You do make sense, but Chevy couldn’t do that.

It needed to still look like a Corvette.

Next generation, and the one after, it can start to drift further. But for now, it needs the link.

one4torque and 95spiderman like this.
  19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Agree it had to tie to the c7 as an evolution. They played it safe.

But it see opp for something good in the future.

Just look at the evolution of f and l mid engine models over the years.

I would rejoice w a simple swoopy variant.

20. PBT58

PBT58 Karting

Jul 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Peter T
    I'm a bit late to this debate... I've driven many late model Corvettes (C6 & C7's)... never had anyone roll down their windows to ask questions or give me the thumbs up.
    Almost every time I drive my 2008 F430 I get comments like "Wow, that car is beautiful!" and numerous thumbs up.

No doubt the C8 will be a great "Bang for the Buck" vehicle.
    But as others have stated... It's not a Ferrari!

TomAZ, Apollo 11 and ttforcefed like this.
  21. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    So Jalopnik is suggesting the Z06 may end up with a flat plane crank and twin turbos, with hp in the 800s.

I imagine it will sound amazing.

one4torque and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    To be fair though, NO previous gen Corvette has taken styling to the level this new C8 has.

By the same token, no other previous gen Corvette ever made me reconsider my decades old Ferrari dream.

one4torque, espvh and PBT58 like this.
  23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think most here can appreciate lots of different cars whether that means a Jaguar, BMW E30, old hot rod, Miata, or todays exotics. But we all have to make those hard choices as to what to put in our own garages given that most don't have endless dollars, space, or time. Some can get around this by flipping cars every year or two to get lots of different experiences but that can get even more expensive with depreciation and other little fixes. But I'd say if you have one slot - go for the long held Ferrari dream - and see how it goes.

I'll bet you'll be spoiled forever and never be able to give up ownership - because of all its aspects.

Robb

KC360 FL and kes7u like this.
  24. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Course for horses. Impressing soccer moms and 12YO boys with a fancy red bauble isn't really on my priority list. Spanking the ever-loving **** out of every F430 will be my mission from day one of C8 ownership. :rolleyes:

p.s. yes, I know the idiom is backwards. Purposefully done.

one4torque and 95spiderman like this.