360 handling vs. 550 | FerrariChat

360 handling vs. 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by vanimal, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    I read a lot about the nervous handling of a 360 on the limit and in high speed corners on this board, now I am looking at moving from a 348 challenge to either a 360 or a 550 - not for track use but occasional maybe. So how would the handling characterstics compare between these cars as I know the nurburgring times are pretty similar and its not exactly the place where the 550's extra bhp is going to make all that much difference.

Any feelings on this?

2. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Drive them both, and choose the one you like best. Only YOU will know what you like.

Ernesto

550nitis likes this.
  3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    only you can decide.

VERY different animals, vanimal ;)

doody.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    You really, really need to drive both, back to back if at all possible, if you haven't already. I have owned both - the difference in all respects truly surprised me.

As a track junkie, I also question your use of "occasional." I'd rather have a 360 for track use, as it feels so much lighter to me than a Maranello. I also much prefer the seating position and many other attributes of the 360 for the track.

That said, I'd sign up for a 575 Stradale in an instant.

Nice problem to have, eh?

5. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Owning both cars,

I think 360 is more responsive in curves and turns. Faster acceleration since it is a lighter car.

Higher speed definitely V12 gives much better performance wet and dry track.

Love them both

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    First of all, all my predecessors are right. Make you your own opinion if you have the chance to get a decent, relevant and comparable test drive.

My opinion (355 owners, 550 buyer, drove 360 & 575 back to back on a track for two days) is that ... it is just not comparable.
    The Maranello is a car, mid-engined V8s are go-karts. No inertia at turn in or in chicanes, much less body roll, much more agility. A different league, period.
    Yes, the mid-engine V8s will forgive less if you make mistakes (such as hitting the brakes while changing direction), but this the price to pay for an agility which is truly stunning and highly satisfying. These things just don't know the meaning of body roll. I truly love Maranellos ... because I have a 355 too :)

Never drove a 348 but all I read said unanimously that they are nasty & snappy at the limit.

7. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    ze_shark....

I've owned a couple of, and have spanked the living tar out of the 348 Challenge Car, and I'm of the exact opposite opinion. I found them to be extremely predictable and very easy to handle at their limit. I'm not Schumi, but I would guess that in the hands of someone who doesn't have much track time, it may be a handful.

8. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Just stumbled on another similar opinion.
    CAR Magazine (UK), Dec 2003 issue, p79.
    "Angus McKenzie, 20 years of road testing ... His biggest disappointment ? His first Ferrari, a 348. 'It was an evil-tempered ***** of a thing'"

Judging from the quote, the car is a handful, even for the most experienced.

9. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    i've heard the exact same, as i recall even from sources within ferrari. the quote i read went something like: no matter what you did (throttle, brake, or neither), once the rear end started coming around, nothing was going to stop it...

ernie

10. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    had a 360
    have a 575
    Lots of track time?=360
    Mid range or long distance touring?=575
    They are completely diff machines.
    360=tossable- lighter-great fun-sexy
    575 )or 550)= rock solid, more comfortable-classic looks-amazing torque.
    Can't go wrong with either one.
    Drive them both and decide.

11. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Vanimal, is it a little voice in your head talking about mid engine and balance that makes you nervous? Loads of people that have never driven mid engine are given the stigma of a fishtailing fiero that has no traction in the rain... blah blah blah. Don't go into it feeling weird because of where the motor is, my g/f gets all freaky in mid engine cars, and gets hypersensative. Chill out and drive one.

The balance in the 360 is delightfully sublime, very responsive, loving the curves. As a 550 owner, I love the feel of the car, I feel alot more comfortable over distances, and the cabin noise is less.

If your zig meets your zag the 360 is worth a test. If your future is flat and freeway, the 550, but to ditto the responses, drive them both see what you think. The 360 may awaken your inner beast.

If a convertable suits you, go 550 Barchetta, I will not even say that 'other' models name. :) lol

12. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    360 are amazing cars and for twisties are the best. Mid engine, wow! Now the 550 is a beast and feels heavy and not as agile, that was my impression until a 550 owner came and showed me that the car was meant to slide through the curves and that changed everything. 550 all the way!

marce likes this.
  13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    16 year old thread?

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting to see how language and online posting culture has evolved in those 16 years, although maybe not by as much as I would have thought.

I wonder where the OP is now. Not seen on Fchat since the 599 was a young car.

Good point though that Maranellos feel like they are not made for twisties until you push them to the limit and they show their pedigree. Unlike Astons of the era which just fall apart.

stan996turbo likes this.