812 Spider | Page 23 | FerrariChat

812 Spider

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    We just had a bad crash in Switzerland this week on the highway near Zurich, caused by automatic braking on the left lane at speed of approx. 120 km/h, the car with two women inside, suddenly completely stopped! For zero reason. Two other cars behind crashed into the completely stopped vehicle.
    I wonder how many people will be killed until this nonsense system ends.

I personally had a very negative problem in a roundabout in the town I live, driving my DD, a brand new 2019 MB AMG GLC 63 S, before exiting to the right and leaving the roundabout, the car suddenly stopped, for no reason. It was very very scary, fortunately not at high speed. No damage happened.

People/manufacturers/governments talk about all these new automatic systems? And all these nannies? From personal experience I can tell that the cameras in my AMG recognize and identify properly not more than 50 percent of the street signs (50 kmh when it is 80 or the other way round, etc.). We are still far far away from autonomous driving. In the meantime thousands of people will be killed and lawyers will become really wealthy.

Marcel Massini

mofatmi9, stavura, of2worlds and 8 others like this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I turn these systems off in any car I drive.

red passion, Bundy, chrixxx and 2 others like this.
  3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Instead of dumbing things down to the lowest denominator, society should instead be focused in actually increasing the aptitude of said lowest denominator. Easier said than done, however. Point is: Even technology can't/won't cure stupidity. It used to be that evolution did that, but no more in today's politically correct world.

My days of new car buying are FINITO.

4. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This thread should be re titled. Way off topic.

MidnightRun and deltona like this.
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    When those in perceived power "government idiots" are the dumbest of the lot it will always be this way.

Anyway I really do hope Ferrari do something special with this Spider. We will know in less than a week it seems

Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Not true. All topics in this thread could be impacting the 812 Spider, either now or near future.
    I couldn't agree more... And unfortunately it's the same no matter what part of the world you're in these days...

Finally we'll know about the 812 Spider, soon. Hope it won't be castrated with GPF's and all e-nannies referenced herein.

7. titanium430isback

titanium430isback Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    because i was told three layer paint and matte color is almost same price

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Personally I don’t see the need for these systems on a Ferrari, however, the article above says 7.6 million sales per year and 400 complaints over the last three years and someone said they wouldn’t buy a Ferrari because of this? Persistent stories of brake failure (I heard about another serious one in SA this week) doesn’t put you off but the introduction of AEB does? Frankly the possibility of brake system failure not AEB failure has me much more concerned. The AEB systems I have used (mainly Subaru which uses video recognition) have been excellent and worked flawlessly. Range Rover system is not so good being based on radar but still no real issues. Maybe Ferrari uses a poor system, I don’t know about that, but on the evidence in the article it wouldn’t stop me buying Ferraris. I am very against automatic driving systems and the future possibility that we might be forced to use them under certain circumstances. Hope that never happens.

9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    AEB is just not working: My former BMW 3-series decided to break in a corner because the corner was a right left right within a very short distance - the car just decided that was not possible and decided to BREAK and stop the car. I was lucky though since no car was behind me - that BMW got the AEB and file lane system turned off within one second after that! Completely wrong implementation and not trustworthy at all. I told BMW they did not fix it - so it was turned off for good.

of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I have little doubt that the number of true AEB malfunctions far exceeds the reported number of cases.

For me personally, it’s not so much that these nanny systems scare me. I simply feel that they are completely antithetical to any design brief with the name Ferrari in it. They do nothing to enhance performance or the driving experience. I believe that they do not improve safety. They add unnecessary complexity and potentially affect long-term reliability.

I haven’t had a single wreck in 37 years of street driving and I prefer to take responsibility for my braking, lane changes, etc, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Caeruleus11, of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  12. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What has any of this got to do with the 812 Spider ? Interesting as it is, but a new topic more appropriate .

So Monday we get the big reveal . Very interested to see how the roof is integrated , how the closed roof profile sits with the 812 line, weight, trunk space and if it is like the 488 spider where you get two cars for 1.

13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thanks Paul. The post the thread needed.

Back on topic gents please

montpellier, pcht5 and Jelial like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Any guesses as to what the debut colour will be?;):)

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    A new Blue...

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    A Rosso tinted purple ....... silver A pillars.... see through bonnet and a humidor ....... now that’s my wishlist done !

of2worlds likes this.
  17. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    Hi all,

I ordered earlier this year an F8 and 812, and asked my dealer to change the 812 for an 812 spider, and they told me the 812 spider is a limited edition and buyers have already been chosen from the factory. So no, I can not have a 812 spider.

Is someone getting the same answers?

I´m from Spain

Thanks !

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I spoke to my dealer today. It’s not a limited number production but will only be made for X months. Allocations for the initial run of convertibles should be completed within a week or so of the launch (this coming Monday). VIP customers will likely already have been told they have a confirmed order.

I think if you’ve not been invited to the launch event and have never bought a new F car before (leaving aside your recent purchases) it will be hard to get one, at least initially.

Maybe try again in a few months?

LMH likes this.
  19. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    So I arrive tomorrow night, for a mini break with the wife, then the event Monday afternoon, if allowed I'll take some pictures :)

of2worlds and 355TDI like this.
  20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I for one did not report it it on my Maybach S600.
    My wife and I were in the rear seats. We were In bumper to bumper traffic. At 15mph it went off an both my wife and I were on the floor. Fortunately no major injuries and we thankfully did not get rear ended. Turned it off as well as the “lane assist” feature which slams on the brakes and steers you back into your lane-god forbid you try to change lanes without signaling- it would s violent to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  21. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain

22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Same happened to my wife and I after being picked up in a brand new S-Class Mercedes limo at Laguardia in NYC a few months back. All of a sudden, for no reason, the car slammed on the brakes from approx 15-20 mph when driving out of the airport. The driver was just as shocked as we were, as he didn't know the cause. He said it was the SECOND time it had happened in as many weeks, and he had just taken delivery of the car a few weeks prior. Good thing we were wearing our seat belts, else we'd have done face plants in the backs of the seats. So, I guess now seat belts serve the dual purpose of protecting from collision AND protecting from AEB malfunctions.

ferrarifanatic25 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Exactly same here! Lane assist is a joke and extremely dangerous. Have had two very critical moments so far.
    None of these b.s. nannies actually work properly. Mercedes and all the others should be sued, big time.

Marcel Massini

stavura, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    ... they will. As soon as the ambulance chaser attorneys in the US get a whiff of all this, there will be class action suits.....

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nice that this is possible in USA. Such a thing doesn't exist in tiny little Switzerland, unfortunately (class action suits forbidden here).

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.