Are there any mods that are value neutral or additive? | FerrariChat

Are there any mods that are value neutral or additive?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GH13, Aug 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    The thread about the modded 360 has me thinking...

Are there any mods that don’t subtract value, or perhaps even add some value?

I’ve generally been a “strictly factory” person with regards to most vehicles, barring a Jeep and a Harley that I once owned.

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    turning a 964 Porsche 911 into a Singer 911 adds value ...and cost.....these are amazing cars built out of an old inexpensive 911...

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Replacing crappy fuse boxes, upgrading bearings, using headers with better materials, replacing guide valve stems on 355s would all be value increasers.

Doing regular maintenance and keeping documentation is a value add.

In the Ferrari world, performance mods are not generally the norm.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    from 360 on nothing adds value in the long run. neutral mods are exhaust, wheels, and paint protection.

5. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    So the exhaust is an interesting point.

Does a Novitec exhaust actually add value? I mean, they sound insane — the sound clips of an FF with a Novitec put a huge smile on my face, and instill terror into the hearts of the young and old.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Novitec is one of the respected tuners, so they may hold value better than others. I have dozens of examples 360 to 458's where someone spent $20-50k to end up with a car that was worth $10-20k less than if they would have done nothing a few years later. The problem with mods are...
    1. much of it are personal tastes.
    2. "mods" age and depreciate faster than the base car.
    3. a car with "mods" is assumed to be abused.

DRYHOLE, LightGuy, Themaven and 2 others like this.
  7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well summed up. Although I’d say keep original wheels always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMemphis and rob lay like this.
  9. BobBB

BobBB Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Berger
    Wouldn’t you think a CS TCU upgrade would be a plus in a 360?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

kes7u likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    maybe neutral at best, the most common mod that drops the most value on these cars is ECU.

11. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Challenge grill.

I would say it's neutral or a very small increase, more stylish and letting a lot more heat from the engine bay.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I’d agree with what Rob says, with the esoteric exception that adding (very rare) OEM HGTC wheels to a standard 575 would probably increase its value a little, although not by the cost of the wheels.

On a 599, I’d also think that a Ferrari dealer retro fit HGTE package, typically everything except the seat emboss, would add value, but I’m not 100 per cent about that, I know some Fchatters have done it and maybe they can chip in.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Keep them totally stock. With as much modification that’s done these days, particularly on cars from the 90’s and early-mid 2000’s, it’s the pure ones that will rare and have real value, particularly if kept in exceptional condition.

14. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    On a carbed 308, electronic ignition, where the original looks are retained.

15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Silly me,... I clicked on this thread thinking it was about site mods.
    :p:D;)

kes7u likes this.
  16. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That would be an unnecessary question. The answer is obvious......:cool:

Kevin

17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Heidi Klum, perhaps?

Anything else just looses value, these aren't Lambos to be wrapped in some tacky colour scheme.

Themaven, LightGuy and bernardo66 like this.
  18. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    There's mods, and then there's mods.

High-flow cats and quality aftermarket headers are a not-inconsiderable modification/upgrade for a 355, as the OEM items are known to be failure prone. Not saying you'd get your money back out of them come time to sell, but I would pay more for a 355 with those items already addressed.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you "mod" your car by telling potential buyers that you epoxied a one ounce gold coin in the electrical circuitry behind the drivers seat to help conductivity. It's one electrical mod beyond adding bluetooth that adds value.

20. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Tubi exhaust seems nuetral. I would prefer a car with known exhaust manifold issues to have been modded.

Some people believe the dealer installed HGTE package on 599 adds value. I agree but not anything like the supposed 30k cost. You dont get the provenance, seat stitching and in all the cases I have seen the CF door panels. Perhaps adds 10k.

Perhaps lowering with either factory or Novitech springs.

Window tint.

Clear bra or ceramic coating.

Thats about it.
    If you NEED more performance buy the next generation model.

Will do further research on the Heidi Klum mod. :
    ;)

Themaven and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  21. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Outside of brakes , and just about every italian car till the early 2000's has terrible brakes , i wouldn't do a thing .

22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    The Heidi klum mod will hold its value just slightly longer before plummeting than the Pam Anderson mod did before it.
    Cmon guys, it’s 2019.:)

kes7u likes this.
  23. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    True. And given that it is 2019, perhaps we should be using PAT (of SNL fame) as our ideal standard.

Kevin

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  24. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I don't think there are any that "add" value but maybe some that lessen depreciation! lol I agree that "modded" often means "messed with" but some things appeal to a very large group of owners like exhaust upgrades. Personally I might pay more for some CS trim add-ons to a stock Modena but maybe that's just me and it would have to be the right parts and photo documented for proof that you didn't just buy a Chinese fiberglass pop out replacement bumper that's way heavier than stock! I think a lot of the other things that folks do with all the carbon aftermarket parts "might" not hurt too bad either if they are the real deal parts like from TubiStyle or MacCarbon but poorly chosen bits to add to the car definitely will hurt you IMO. Carbon racing seats and Ti lug bolts also fit into the category of not going to "hurt" you on resale. my .02

25. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    IMO, the mods with the least likelihood of depreciation are those from the oem like wheels, grille, etc, or with a strong reputation for performance /benefits like Tubi or Hill engineering, esp if they’re replacing parts known to fail from the oem,