Why haven't 550s Appreciated More/Dropped in Value? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why haven't 550s Appreciated More/Dropped in Value?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sgtpeper, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Don’t get to hung up on the “wife” approval peice. With more than 2 genders nowadays that’s not the majority in the future :)

Oh , and the “DINK” ( Double income , no kids ). They like new as well :)

billwest and BOKE like this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    If you want that kind of impact, and 12 cylinders, then you should look at a F512M, or a 512TR. Everyone stares when I drive my F512M around. As Curt says, the 550 is quasi-anonymous, which also has its advantages. The M is more crazy to drive, the 550 is a better car, and still great to push hard. But production numbers of the original Testarossa keep puling TRs down also.

Production numbers:

575 manual: 246 (fewer than half of those with essential Fiorano Handling Pack)
    550: 3081
    F512M: 501 (75 plated US cars)
    512TR: 2280
    Testarossa: 7177

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I suspect that as hybrid and electric power trains become even more powerful (think 919) paddle shift will be the norm. You HAVE to use paddles to account for the algorithm adding electric power here and there. Stick cars will be for the weekend curiosity fun drive. I personally like 3-pedal for its reliability, but reliability of the hybrid drive trains will improve as well.

The big issue I see with the 5xx series Ferrari's is there is no interest by the next stage buyer that I can see. Even guys like me in my 40's.. I haven't met ANYONE that wants a 5xx car.

4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    "Partner approved" so I don't ruffle any feathers.;) Thanks for showing me the wrongs of my ways.:oops::rolleyes::D

I think low-priced used kalifornias are really cannibalizing the Ferrari true sports and GT cars including Italias and F12s. There are also an awful lot of other "fun cars" in the same price range as a Maranello. I like the understated look of my 575M. I don't want or need attention from the kids at cars and coffee. In the same light, I would rather have an Audi R* V10+ than a Day-Glo green Lambo Huracan. If I ever need to impress the kids I can rent a Day-Glo green Huracan by the hour just like all the tourists do.

Themaven and MS250 like this.
  5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "but a 458 would be like wearing a toupe." :):p

Analogy of the year!

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    pilotoCS likes this.
  7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I had mine for 4 years. Loved the car, but the V12 will spoil you. Don't worry about the $$$ keeping it up, they just cost time and part, plus labor. I put in $30,000 on mine in 3 years to keep it up to mint condition mechanic department. And every time I started the engine, all was forgotten about the money that I paid. I still miss it today. I traded it for a 458 back when the 550 was at the peak price. The 458 screams, but it is a back breaker after 2 hours. The 550 is smooth all day long.... heck of a great car. I bought mine because it was the most reliable V12 at the time and not much money. I think I paid $59,000. 1st , 3rd and 5th were about all the gears I ever used. The big V12 just keep on pulling. I liked it better than the 599.

Themaven and BOKE like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And how long have you worked for McLaren? LOL

9. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I should get free F1 tickets for a season. But those motor mounts, new ECU's, AC, Drive Shaft, and Majors to cost money when the Dealership digs into the car... but I still loved it just the same. Everyday I was amazed how fun it was to drive. Still like it more than the 458. But the expense of it was getting heavy. The 458 is about $800 per year , like driving a Camary..... just crank and go.

BOKE likes this.
  10. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for all the responses. It's definitely starting to change my thoughts on which Ferrari to look for. I may also expand my search to early 6mt Murcielagos and Diablos..

11. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Not sure I would go that crazy...... lol

12. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Keep us posted

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hilarious!

14. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The 575 in a three peddle is an amazing car and very expensive. The 550 is a very beautiful car, much more in person than in pictures. It's a true Ferrari with great performance at a bargain price. Cars in this range are a rotten investment. Buy it because you love it and you want to drive it.

15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    They are very beautiful cars. This is my old 1998 550. It is Rosso Barchetta, only 11 were made in that color in 1998 worldwide. Over the years I have found 3 in America. Loved how smooth it was to drive. Just not sure there is anything that will be big money in the next 5 years that is less than $500,000. I find that when I buy something I like , in cars, art, wristwatches they tend to go up. But when I think I will try to buy something for a profit down the road, it never turns out. I may have ruined the 308 GT4. I bought one 3 years ago for $75,000 in great condition, sold it a year later for $61,000. So don't ask me what to buy, it will be the wrong thing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Themaven likes this.
  17. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Thanks Nuno... How much do I owe you...

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This one is on the house. Just this once :D:D:D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Robb likes this.
  19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Maybe part of the problem is you can now get similar performance in newer cars without the high maintenance costs?

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Not sure that’s the case, Jim. Usually, the vintage cars fans couldn’t care less about modern cars, and vice-versa. I think most 550 prospective buyers wouldn’t feel much tempted by a newer car with similar performance from another brand other than Ferrari. There isn’t much in the way of a substitute for a manual transmission V12 Ferrari.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sure there is. BMW 850, Porsche 928, Aston Vantage V12, Aston DBS, Jaguar XJS

Tons to choose from at a much lower price point... if the gated shifter is that important it too can be installed.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Curt,

Thank you for your reply, I guess you’re right. What I was trying to convey is that none of them are italian and that’s an x-factor of sorts, very difficult to find elsewhere even if other manufacturers offers similar solutions in terms of displacement, no. of cylinders and/or horsepower, how you feel the car is entirely different and therefore may not be an 100% substitute for a 550.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

vrsurgeon likes this.
  23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Certainly recommend a Diablo.....AMAZING CAR, great mix of vintage and modern (the later ones,the best that Diablos have to offer). Extremely visceral to drive....but if you are timid about the rock star level of attention, buy something else.

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nope, they don't build cars like a Diablo or a Scuderia any more....everything now feels isolated and detached.

BOKE likes this.
  25. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    There is a lot of truth to that. The question is where is the line?

BOKE likes this.