How Do You Put One On Jackstands? | FerrariChat

How Do You Put One On Jackstands?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Redneck Slim, Jul 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Cal/Cal 30/Cal T/PF (I have a PF). Where do you put a floor jack to lift one,and where do you put the jackstands?

2. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    I recently had a high end touchless mobile tire and wheel service come to my house to swap out some new wheels. Here are a couple pics of how they supported my car front and rear on jack stands. They also used hockey pucks on top of the floorjack contact point to give some extra cushion and space between the aluminum jack and my body work. Since then, I have discovered it is much easier if you can find a friend who has a 4 post lift and simply lift from the four points specified in your owners manual. When I tried the floorjack routine it made me nervous setting my car down on what looks to me like delicate aluminum suspension components verses the jack points built into the frame. Good luck!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Thanks for the input. I will be seeing my dealer next week hoping for pointers. If you have the optional spare then you get a jack kit and there are four places where you can use that jack. But where can you lift the whole side of the car in order to place stands? I plan on new wheels/tires and exhaust parts,among other things,and I am used to doing my own mods.

4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Mark: FWIW,I showed your pictures to my service manager and he does not recommend putting jack stands at those points.

Federal man and 4th_gear like this.
  5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a lift, I am too old to be crawling around on the floor to get something placed in the right spot. I also have race ramps, and quite a few low profile lifts. When working with cars like the 4C. i8. a Corvettes you need to be very careful with how you lift them. You might look to see if any garages will rent you lift time, nothing beats a lift.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 4th_gear, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    I use a "racing jack" with my vehicles because they work on cars with low ride heights/clearance. I also place a hockey puck in the jack's "cup" which usually uses a rubber mat but this mat is always too thin and will result in the stepped ridge of the cup damaging the car's undercarriage next to the jack points.

Hockey pucks are cheap, easy to find, extremely robust, tall enough to clear the cup and provide a perfect, secure fit within the cup as well as a perfect fit over the jack points. They are made of very hard rubber but are still softer than metal so ultimately, provide ideal cushioning between the cup and the rubberized jack points.

Here's an image showing a racing jack almost identical to mine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ferry430 likes this.