458 "Simple" Stereo Upgrade? | FerrariChat

458 "Simple" Stereo Upgrade?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by HX_Guy, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Has anyone done a simple upgrade to their 458 stereo? I've read some threads where people did pretty extensive upgrades, requiring removal of a bunch of interior trim pieces and a hole in the firewall? Not looking to do anything like that.

Thinking just the interior speakers to something aftermarket, and maybe a small sub or bass tube behind the front seat? Would love some input. Thanks!

2. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    I’m following this post. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Of course, you can upgrade the exhaust.

Caeruleus11, tekaefixe and Ash Patel like this.
  4. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Not super useful when driving down the freeway going to a Friday night dinner or when maybe sitting in traffic. ;)

IloveGT likes this.
  5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    stay on 6th gear, downshift 3 gears when exit on the freeway.

I have jbl on the 458, and still don't listen to it.

There was a very detailed thread in the FF section on the FF stereo upgrade. That may help you. If if anything, I would upgrade the stereo on my FF (after exhaust upgrade again).

6. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I think the JBL sounds very good, I got to listen to it in a Spider rental back in February and really though it was great. That's about the level of upgrade Im looking to get if possible.

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    agree. so I don't think you need to go completely crazy on the stereo upgrade, unless you are a true audiophile.

8. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Decided to back off the entire idea of upgrading the stereo. The thought of dismantling the interior, door panels, etc just makes me uneasy. It'll never be put together exactly the same way, or be as tight as it is from the factory, and I dont want to risk some rattles or other mishap. Stock stereo is good enough. :)

Caeruleus11, Graz and jomarti1 like this.
  9. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    I’m kind of in the same place. Using a Bovee iPod bluetooth adapter and playing digital rather than radio seems to help music quality.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You made the right choice. Its doable, but to do it well, it's involved, and that also means expensive. Unless you truly truly want it, its just not worth it.

11. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    SAS Bazooka tubes are a good removable option with the least amount of working and re-wiring, the addition of the Bass and diversion of the power through the Class D amp in the powered ones have changed the imaging in three of my prior cars/trucks. Simple bracket addition into the carpet and wiring harness to tap into existing speakers. They're about $250-300 to purchase and about $150 to install. On my 6 series BMW it was the choice between a $500 addition and a $5k upgrade......

https://www.bazooka.com/

12. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Interesting. How do they hook up though, especially if powered? Assume it would need a wire ran from the battery like normal amps?

13. Gonzales25

Gonzales25 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I recently had 2 amps installed in the frunk, 1 powers the 4 factory speakers and 1 is for a shallow mount 12in sub that I had placed behind the seats (sub is directly in the middle of the seats)...

I know everyone says "just listen to the beautiful engine sound" but I like to listen to my music LOUD (90s gangster rap, yes I'm 50 but listen to rap or classic rock) and I have a LOUD car (full Fab speed w/headers and race cats)... I went to a local audio shop and stayed away from the high end audio stores because as you know most places like to charge a Ferrari tax! Only cost me around $1,800 for everything, which I think was fair given the work that went into the install.

Pocty likes this.
  14. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    Did you start with the upgraded JBL or base piece of crap?

15. Gonzales25

Gonzales25 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Base piece of Crap! LOL... It was so bad my wife would make fun of me!

PappyDewBoston likes this.
  16. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've discovered that my hi-power system sounds much better with any other source than Sirius/XM. In fact, if I use the Sirius/XM app to stream, it sounds better than the satellite source.

PJxxx likes this.
  17. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Hmm, all Ive listed to exclusively is Sirius/XM. Maybe I need to put some music on the hard drive and see how that sounds?