Cal 30 vs Cal T with Handling Speciale Package | FerrariChat

Cal 30 vs Cal T with Handling Speciale Package

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rbtrader, Aug 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    I have been looking at the Cal T that has the Handling Speciale package. I drove a Cal T with and without the HS, and I think I like the feel and look of the HS option. It seems like the car might even be a little lower.

A friend of mine has suggested I compare the Cal T HS with a Cal 30 HS. He thinks for the money difference, I might be happy with a Cal 30 HS car. I cannot find a Cal 30 HS car nearby, so I am looking for some thoughts from anyone who has made the comparison. I know the Cal 30 HS does not has the matte gray diffuser, but I wonder of the handling and transmission management HS features are like the Cal T HS cars.

Has anyone driven the alternatives? Any thoughts? I plan to do some travelling in my car, so I am not necessarily looking for a low mileage perfect car. I would like to enjoy the drive, and have the performance feel that the Cal T HS car had when I drove it. There is probably a Cal 30 exhaust system upgrade that will provide a little more grit in the exhaust note!

I appreciate any experience or advice you can share.

Rich

Tito1969 likes this.
  2. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    how much is the price difference?

3. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    Depending on the car, type of dealer, mileage, etc, it is $30K-$50K more for the Cal T HS car. Of course, the Cal T cars are also 2- 5 years newer.

4. Joe M

Joe M Karting

May 17, 2018
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    I have a Cali T HS and it has so many driving enhancements over the regular Cali T. The suspension is a good 16% firmer and 30% faster upshift speed, not to mention an exhaust that is noticeably deeper than the regular T. Aesthetically, I like the unique matte chrome grille, design of the rear diffuser, and dark exhaust pipes more too. I think the extra bucks for the HS is worth it as it feels so much more aggressive behind the wheel. The magnetic dampers were reprogrammed for a sportier ride while maintaining comfort. And if you’re more than six feet tall, it’s an ideal Ferrari for top up or down driving. Google Motor Trend’s write up on the 2017 HS and you won’t consider the other siblings.

Chizz likes this.
  5. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    What Joe said is correct.

Earlier this summer, I installed the HS package on my non-HS 2017 Cali T. It really has transformed the car from a GT feel to more of a 458/488 feel in terms of firmness. Far less body roll -- especially on high speed sweepers. I also am enjoying the deeper exhaust note.

It does not feel like it has lost much in comfort mode. I would call it about 5% stiffer in comfort mode and 15-20% more firm in sport mode (which was welcomed).

The transmission reprogramming has also been excellent. The upshifts are crisper with a better sound (whether you using the paddles or in auto mode). I was worried the car might "lurch" due to the harder/faster gear changes. That did not happen and I am really enjoying the transmission feel as much as the firmer springs.

If you can find a Cali T in a color you love, I would *strongly* recommend going for it. I cannot speak to the Cali 30 (people love 'em) but I can tell you having been a standard California T owner that it is an even better car with the HS package installed. So glad I did it.

Good luck.

SB

Chizz likes this.
  6. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    So, I'm about to put my 2014 Cali30 HS (10.8K miles on the odo) on the market (upgrading to 458) and it has some tasteful mods including the Ferrari sport exhaust installed by a Ferrari Mechanic. If you're interested I can send you more info. It's the cleanest Cali30 in FL and has won every car show I've entered.

Actually, here's a review a local YouTuber did on my car. Its current in the video save for the red seatbelt conversion I did two weeks after filming.

And for more pics/videos you can follow my Instagram @nfa_review_offtopic

Chizz, BOKE and Randy R like this.
  7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    :rolleyes::eek::D:D:D

Chizz and Fireman1291 like this.
  8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    lol dickkkkkkkkkkk

Chizz and BOKE like this.
  9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

And today they build cars exactly like that ... for show!

10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Uh huh.

Isn't Florida home to the "Greatest Show on Earth"???

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    Fireman,

Thanks for the heads up on your car, it is very cool and I love the black wheels. Unfortunately it is not one of my color choices, black cars are tough for me to keep up with.
    If anyone else has thoughts about the HS packages on CalT's and Cal 30's, or some good leads on cars, I would love to know about them. The silver and grays, the blues, the metallic reds, and some of the other unusual colors would be my first choice. I am not worried about some miles on the car, as I plan to drive it quite a bit on some trips. Thanks in advance,

Rich

12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Howdy Rich,

Sorry, I trashed your thread. Adam is my adopted nephew and I have to give him a bad time at least once a month.
    You asked a good question.

Here are a post and a knowledgeable kali owner for you. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146784550/

Good luck in your search for a kali.

Cheers,
    Marc

13. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve