F8 - Lithium Battery upgrade on F8 | FerrariChat

F8 Lithium Battery upgrade on F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Texas2step, Aug 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    The F8 has $3,375 option to upgrade from the traditional battery to the Lithium Battery which I believe is standard on the Pista. Is it worth it?
    I am aware of separate general tread on Lithium ion Battery.

2. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    There are cheaper DIY options, but a LI battery is a good choice in terms of weight and electrical stability.

3. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    With all of the problems with the Ferrari branded battery they should make it standard equipment.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    They will make it standard but raise the MSRP by $3,375.

boobernackle likes this.
  5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I've been advised not to go for this option since apparently the LiIon battery of the Pista is causing even more problems than the standard battery...
    An aftermarket LiIon battery might be a different story and a better choice.

Il Co-Pilota and Texas2step like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I would skip this option and get the Braille I48CS lithium battery. One of the best and most powerful batteries on the market - and it's cheaper.

Texas2step likes this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    But if you go lithium don’t you need the lithium tender ?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. jamiew

jamiew Rookie

Dec 30, 2009
    Can you please elaborate on the battery issues in the Pista?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    it can get worse?

FWIW if Ferrari can't even get their basic lead acid battery right, I don't know that I would trust them for Lion battery tech vs a proven aftermarket solution...

tekaefixe and PA Wolfpacker like this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I believe the answer to that is yes. CTEK has lithium specific chargers. Although, it is not clear to me what changes are required to the car's charging system under normal driving/charging. Doesn't make sense for it to be the same algorithms.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Curious as well
    What issues are being reported w the Pista battery?

13. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I did not have any issues with the battery in my 458. My 488 had a lot of issues. If the Pista is worse then Ferrari has a real problem on its hands. Based on this info I wouldn’t even think of looking at the SF90.

tekaefixe likes this.
  14. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Just an opinion but - Nobody has satisfied me that Lithium batteries are fire proof and I wouldn't waste the money just to find out. I keep my 2015 car on the charger but I drive it a lot - 25,000 miles in 4 years. I automatically put new tires on every 3 years before the tread wears and have now changed the original Ferrari OEM battery while it still works fine after 4 years and replaced it with an identical replacement from O'Reiley Auto Parts for $183.00. The Original Ferrari OEM battery is now in my 2008 GMC Sierra Pickup Truck and is working fine and I'll drive it there until it dies.

No One will ever feel the difference in handling and performance due to the weight saving in LI battery other than the cost of it burning a hole in your pocket and god forbid it burning up your car!

Just my .02.

Solid State and Texas2step like this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apparently the Pista like the 488 is prone to discharge its battery - except that whereas the regular battery can be charged when it's been completely discharged, a Lithium battery must not go under some power otherwise it's virtually dead.
    Maybe I was too happy to save some money to investigate more ;)

16. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    BTW - There is a reason why the FAA made Boeing put a Fire shield around the Lithium batteries on the new 787!!

17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    My Ducati 1299 Superleggera discharged its lithium battery despite. Being on the appropriate tender. Dead as a door nail. Replaced under warranty but to this day I worry the new one will do the same. But it is lighter and probably makes more of a difference on a sport bike weighing 340 lbs than a car weighing 3400

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tekaefixe likes this.