355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have two nice sorted cars. PM me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeman1234 likes this.
  2. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    An F355 GTS (manual) is usually the hardest model to find in the U.S. I do know of a local one in Giallo (yellow) that will offered for sale before Oct. with a fresh major.
    And, no, it's not my "as-new" :) condition Giallo 1998 F355 GTS.

Contact [email protected] (or PM)

Robb and carnutdallas like this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Image Unavailable, Please Login

That's a GTS behind me at Watkins Glen International. A very capable car with its Challenge wheels and slicks. :)

cnpapa24 and eyeman1234 like this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Not a clue, Barry. But of the spiders I see for sale in the USA gated spiders out number F1s by about 2 to 1.

5. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Yeah cars are out there. Not surprising that most owners are not posting their cars up with general prices where they are.

6. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My thoughts too but add 5% for BAT & coming up on a major... it’s 85$k for a sorted car. Surprised reserve was much higher.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    95 red, tan, less than 3 owners, no paint, sub 20k mile with service history, guides done, tubi headers, tubi exhaust and bradan H pipe IS the unicorn!

climb likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Are you looking for a car for yourself or someone else?

9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Man I’d love to take home your 348 challenge but unless something changes with my back and I can get back to work I’d never be able to afford it. My life has spiraled down the tubes...

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yeah been there done that like I told you
    You will recover and do great, just takes time. :)

11. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I don’t know, they keep saying it is nerve root damage, like spinal cord damage it will never heal. Hope to be moved to Houston in a couple months and I’m going to try some stem cell injections into my spine. Maybe that will change something. I know it hasn’t gotten any better in the last 3+ years.

12. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    My former black 97 GTB that’s been listed for some time by my friends dealership just sold last week.

I think he had it listed in the 90s. I’m not sure what he let it go for however.

I also owned this yellow car listed for several years. Although the mileage is over 30k (which is absolutely ridiculous that this is considered “high mileage”) it was one of the strongest GTBs I ever owned.

MAD828 likes this.
  13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yuup same deal on me, took about 7 years Im 13 or so now and just starting to not feel like its there
    Had nerves cauterized they grow back. Friend has stem cell done took a year to kick in, no on off switches but it gets better :)

14. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    I've been lurking for a year or so, realizing I missed an opportunity back in 2010. As time wears on, I'm getting more flexible on specs. I'll keep being patient and saving for a better car, rather than buying low and dumping money into a mess. I will say I've been surprised that guys that have $90k and listing WTB ads can't find what they are looking for

Robb likes this.
  15. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Why are you surprised? For someone who has a nice sorted F355 and sells it for $90k.. what does he get with that money to replace it? Non-turbo 993? NSX? A Toyota Supra? No thanks! The F355 is amazing and still is one of the best deals out there, it's worth the money and trouble to find one.

mclaudio, Steve355F1, MAD828 and 3 others like this.
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #41 Ferrarium, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Even with 90K there is easily 20K of stuff to do on these cars. Replace faded carpet, replace door leather, rebuild clutch and flywheel, relays, it goes on and on. That aside I pulled this from BAT, Its not the end all be all by any means but it is representative. At those prices its a bargain for what it is just stand by for the occasional bomb. I dolt see many 90K+ versions mentioned out here though.

At those prices its a bargain if its a good one. I am not certain that ONLY 90K ones are sorted though, I suspect many below were sorted?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

zstyle and Robb like this.
  17. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Every car will need “stuff”... but if you wait forever.......... you’ll have waited too long.

So find a solid car to start with and elevate its game.

Robb

Steve355F1, Wsmatau, MAD828 and 3 others like this.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Oh please. Sure them may be things that could be addressed, but if you have to put 20k into a 90k car, you bought the wrong car.

Wsmatau and Robb like this.
  19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Interesting OK then. I'm wrong.

20. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    There’s no wrong answer but you have to add up what a car needs prior to the purchase. If you assume 20k and you add that in and are still ok with the price then you’ll be happy.

Everybody has a different value system in what you’d pay for a watch, a suit, and an F355.

Example:

My Blu car. My dream car....

Let’s run the numbers although I forget the EXACT numbers for just mechanical needs - not all the custom extra preferences that we like.

75k buy in
    Oil service and Full car fluids change - 800
    Radiator replacement labor - 800
    Sticky interior - 4,200
    Broken vent - 300?
    Broken shift gate plastic frame - 200?
    Had wrong window switch surround for rhd - 100
    Radio Blank plate - 400
    Motor mounts - 250
    Trans mounts - 250
    4 Drilled fiorano rotors and new Parking brakes - 1800
    Drill out broken parking brake attachment screws - I forget...
    New A/c compressor -500
    A/c recharge- 200
    Corner balance / lower / alignment - 1200
    Wheel refinishing - 1200
    Battery - 275
    Labor for some of these items - dollars and also sweat equity but not to be taken for granted.

Major is good for 4 years and I can address a coolant pipe patch then.

I also added a capristo and will add tubi headers at some point but those are more extras and not essential mechanicals to address. The car wasn’t bad without these.

So a well maintained full records car still has needs.

Add it up. Not out of the question to hit 90k. But I wouldn’t be hitting 110... just sayin.

Worth it to me. No wrong answer here.

Another car:

My good friend and mechanic bought the 95B in Tucson. So you’ll see it at my place on the lift for some service items and on our adventures.

At 68k buy in which was lower than mine, It still needs a major, cv boots, some interior cracked plastics, tires, battery, So he’s ahead of the game. But no F355 is really ever turn key. Don’t let anyone sell you that crap. :D

Same thing on the 348 - especially if you’re talkin a/c issues. Give up hope and enter Dante’s inferno now..... I kid.

Hope you can see all these cars can be great but none will ever be cheap. But they are still very rewarding. I wouldn’t sweat the mileage. I’m almost done and ready for driving season in AZ. Hope the breakdown was helpful.

Ask some other regulars like TAZ or 355dreamer, or Dave In Buffalo... they’ll give it to you straight.

Robb

Wsmatau, pcarcraig and carnutdallas like this.
  21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

No comment. ;)

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No doubt everyone is different and has a different judgment on what sorted means. To me EVERY relay, bulb, fuse, sensor, fuel pumps, FPR, check valve, injector rebuild, steering rack rebuild, all bushings and ball joints, shock rebuilt, steering rack rebuild, caliper rebuild, clean and de corrode every connection etc etc etc I can go on for 3 pages here. All need needs replacing or attention, if not now then soon thee are not new cars. This forum is FILLED with common issues over and over and over. All those things need to be addressed.

All that adds up quick, Only one car I know where someone went and did all that. A pretty, clean, shiny and low mileage car is not the same thing as a well sorted 25 year old car with that stuff sitting waiting to strand you or take a little away from how amazing 20K is not that hard to get to. That or drive the pretty, clean car and wait or CELS and issues and idle problems and gas tack crushing etc and attack them 1 by one. To each their own no doubt.

to each their own. Live and let live there is room for all perspectives here. My "well sorted" is a bit different than everyone eases is all. :)

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i understand your point but its a bit extreme, which you are entitled to. i have owned by 95 355 since 2002. if i remember correctly im the 2nd or 3rd owner. it has a full service history when i bought it. the valve guides were done and i did upgraded to tubi headers etc. since 2002 i have driven the car maybe 7 or 8k miles. the exterior and interior are perfect. i've had oil and fluids changed every 12 to 24 months (car lives in climate and humidity controlled building). i did majors in 2007 and 2012 and skipped the 2017 as i cant drive all my cars. Since 2012 i've probably driven the car 1500 miles so i wld argue the belt is completely fine (different debate which i stand on the usage of the belt and not the number of days) brakes, suspension, fuel system/pump, etc always get inspected annually. I use viper fuel which helps. so my point is if i did a major tomorrow, i cld go use the car as a daily driver and as FNA has remarked, it is and will be one of the cleanest f355s on the planet. if brakes, suspension fuel and obviously tired are fresh, you can enjoy putting miles on it ever day and if issues come up you address them.

carnutdallas likes this.
  24. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Subscribed

25. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well I have the ultimate one off unicorn. Let’s see what that gets me on the chart. Best of the best. People have to step up and buy..... they will not get cheaper and worrying about what it cost to maintain is not a reason to not own an iconic car.

Boats are worse. My buddies hunting lease is a complete money pit, the meat he harvest is way cheaper at the finest restaurants. The lake house, the country club dues.... They all add up. With cars very few wealthy individuals, shop iconic cars at this point in the game. Those long time car guys like us want one and we have budgets. We hear stories, we read limited forum post - cause most are lurkers, do not own or have other underlying personality traits that manifest in negativity, narcissism and desire to have automotive perfection. It is hard and costly to have that perfection in a 25 year old car on a budget.... it creates a vicious cycle. I sold my Gated GTS fully sorted and ready for top dollar. The buyer who is on here would probably not agree, cause he has continued to work on it and replace items partly for the joy of tinkering and to improve a few of the original systems, but still found flaw. And that car had a stack of receipts!! I fixed a lot of things that I thought were fixed when I bought it, but I did not complain and I liked to tinker too.

These threads can be big circle jerk. But I feel Robb was making a valid observation and trying to share a perspective of availability, production, heritage and cost analysis. All those things being considered, these cars are underpriced - yes I want them to be worth more - and the availability of certain models will make it harder in the future to buy nice cars unless people step up or buy and spend refurbishing. That later step should increase values on these older limited cars .

I personally felt I could buy, enjoy and hold for the next 5-7 years.... but my reality is, I still have high schoolers and soon to be college freshman and am about 7 years early on my discretionary income. I am a Glass is half full guy all the time and as business increased quarterly to record levels, I saw no end in sight - but there is one - oops.

I might be stuck for awhile. I can afford to hold, but liquidity would be better for me. No one is buying though and only getting bottom feeders on two really nice sorted cars. We shall see. Maybe not selling is a good thing and keeping to the 30year mark May see a nice upside. I am definitely not taking a loss. That is for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJC likes this.