Why don't more Ferrari owners do their own maintenance? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Why don't more Ferrari owners do their own maintenance?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Aug 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Two cars that color in the world. This one and one in the UK

Blu Scuro Micalizzato
    Dark Blue Pearlescent

Similar to Blu LeMans but that one is metallic not Pearl. This is slightly darker than TDF Blu.

Robb

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

3. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #78 LightGuy, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    True story: back when I was doing project cars for fun and money I bought a Lotus Turbo Esprit with a blown engine. I thought they would one day become collectable ( by rights they should be ) and I could enjoy a cool car for peanuts in the meantime.
    The previous owner brought it into the top Lotus dealer for a routine belt change.
    Their top factory trained and blessed mechanic flipped a conical washer on the crank pulley that guides the belt. So instead of acting as a guide it cut into the belt. The belt would have none of that nonsense and let loose within a few miles.
    Back to the dealer.
    There the top notch mechanic informed the owner that because the crankshaft had cracked , which also lanched the valve interferance head, the motor was a total write off.
    Sorry no warranty. That will be 20 grand for a new engine please.
    The desperate owner sold it to me for 10 grand.
    The crank was just fine and when I approached the top notch factory trained mech he said "well we THOUGHT it was cracked".
    Unsrupulous idiot.
    I located a head and put the engine back togeather with better parts for about 4 grand.
    BTW Lotus engines are pretty cool especially back then. A work of art.

Moral of the story ?
    The dealer not only did not step up to their mistake but was willing to bend this guy over as a profit making opportunity.

Without a basic knowledge of mechanicals he was easy prey.

On the other hand the big finance and medical guys and gals are probably doing the same to us.

The circle of life.

4. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #79 TrojanFan, Aug 29, 2019
    The only time I brought my 355 to the Ferrari Dealer was to have them fix the convertible top when I first purchased the car. As I was driving the car off their lot after the repair I noticed a 4" crack in my windshield. I pointed out to them and they tried to claim it was pre-existing (which it wasn't). The only thing that saved my but was that they had done the PPI for the car the prior week and the car hadn't left their shop since then. In the report they had noted that the windshield was in perfect condition except for a few minor pits. They ended up having to install a brand new one on my car. Had I driven it off their lot, they would have never been willing to replace the windshield.

Since then I've done all of the work on the 355 - new cats, exhaust ecu, new bypass valve, etc. Will be doing the engine out next year. I have the Stooges to fall back on if I have any issues. Lot's of experience there. Also did the timing belt change on my 328 a couple of years back and recently did the timing belts, new bearings and new water pump on the 612. I take photos of everything and keep a detailed log sheet of the work done, parts replaced, etc. Very much like a shop invoice. Yes I was a bit nervous starting that V-12 back up after the change, but everything was perfect and I know how the job was done.

ernie, Llenroc and LightGuy like this.
  5. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #80 LightGuy, Aug 29, 2019
    IMO, crazy as this sounds, a reason that a lot of really high dollar older cars command their premiums is that they are relatively simple animals and any good mechanic can work on them. The old stuff was bulletproof.
    In other words the owners of these multi-million dollar cars are cheapskates !
    I LOVE and can identify with that. :D

Gary Sandberg and Martin308GTB like this.
  6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Great statement and I cannot agree more. When I compare costs of my italian classics with those of friends with mean modern stuff, it confirms your theory by 100%.
    And for occasional daily drives I have a 100hp Fiat 500, which is much more fun, than any 100k€-SUV, which are bothering me day by day :) It's getting somehow tired now and the next thing will be an Abarth 595 Competizione. Some folks say, I am too old for such a thing in my mid-50s but I couldn't care less :) And anyway. My wife loves this tiny black thing and it becomes her greatly :)
    Though; For longer business trips I take the plane or train and if necessary rent the smallest car I can get on-site.
    Around town I use the bicycle or my feet. Actually car driving became more and more a fun thing for me without being absolutely necessary.
    Sorry for getting off-topic.

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Pete, we'll have your engine out in one day. It won't go back in the same day, but it will be out.

8. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Well looks like I'll have to wrap a red one :D

imahorse and Robb like this.
  9. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #84 Llenroc, Aug 29, 2019
    I can’t remember the number of times (it is a lot) I have heard or read stories like this. Just read this thread there are a few others posted here! This bull sh## about having dealer service records or the car is not worth as much drives me crazy. There are way to many stories about so called professionals doing second rate work, lying and cheating customers. Secondly all you usually get from a dealer is a receipt of parts and hours of labor spent, no written notes on describing what, how and why things were done ie; no journal entries or discussion of inspections of related items like I would do. No pictures of what was done. A dealer stamp of approval means nothing to me.

10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    For me, it’s mostly fear.
    I’m basically a talking gorilla. If a bolt can be stripped or snapped, I’m the one to do it.
    So I limit myself to basic stuff....change the battery, brakes (in spite of their critical functions, brakes are relatively simple systems until recently), some interior stuff (I still managed to break most of the plastic tabs off the vents when I removed them for sticky removal), spark plugs, light bulbs.

I’m tempted to do the fluids this year, if I can get up the nerve. But I’m afraid I’ll miss something, as it’s much more involved than most oil changes I’ve done.

11. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I appreciate the positive comments but we all can’t do well at the same things :D. I am fairly sure there are things that you do well at that I would have no clue about. Man, get me near a computer and holy crap does the frustration set in :mad::rolleyes:

On another note thanks for all the likes on my post. Is that kind of a like of a like? Haha

12. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I always say do what you are comfortable with or find someone that has done that job( fluid changes in your case)before and have them to take you through it the first time, take notes and pictures if you need to. Think of how you will feel after you accomplish that:cool:
    Something I realized years ago: another human(s) designed and built this piece of machinery and I consider myself
    (sometimes:rolleyes:) human too so why can’t I repair or maintain it also.

I'm 360 Canuck and Gary Sandberg like this.
  13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I agree.

On the flip side.

There are some extremely talented, knowledgable, and seriously skilled mechanics at some dealerships and at independent shops. Their names become knows, and their reputation precedes them. Many of them have month long waiting lists of cars needing service, and owners are willing to ship their Ferraris clear across the country once they get the go ahead. The attention to detail you get from them is awe inspiring and their price is well worth paying.

14. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Couldn’t agree more (Brain Crall comes to mind). I should have extended that thought in my post. I have always lived in secluded areas of the US so not close to any of them but, like you Ernie I just enjoy doing this stuff myself and I am not sure what it would be like to have someone else touch my cars:eek::D

15. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Exactly. Every car has it's quirks, due to the individuality of the engineers - but they don't have to fix the problems.

If you have the service manual to follow, great. If not, then use common sense.

Starting from outside going in may sound basic and stupid, but take time to study before you start wrenching.

I think much of the fear is also "if I break something it will be expensive".

Maybe, but then you have learned somthing and built confidence. That is the first step.

All the best and kudos as you move forward.

Gary.

imahorse and Llenroc like this.
  16. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    The 328 is the only car I've taken to someone for major services.

I could do the work myself but between jobs, kids, house renovations etc I just don't have time. Even if you think you have the time, you might get halfway done and something comes up, and then the car is on the lift for a month :eek: For me having this car in perfect running shape is a treat to take out and enjoy when I might have an hour or two free to myself. Most of the work -- at least on the older cars -- is not hard or specialized, but sometimes you're worried about making an expensive mistake. Plus you can't just run down to an Autozone/Pepboys type of place and get parts.

Oil changes on one of these cars is the same as most others, although sometimes you have to plan ahead. The first time I changed the oil on a 328 I was all set to go with the usual tools, and I put down the same 6-qt pan I've been using for 25 years. Just as I'm about to loosen the drain plug, I think better check the oil capacity first....

Good thing I did, as it's much more than 5 quarts like my truck or my wife's BMW.

Besides the time saved, the other big thing with services done by a reputable shop is that my 328 came with a full binder of receipts from everything that's been done to the car and I wanted to keep that tradition of service history.

17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    You have to be careful about making disparaging remarks about Gorilla's. Whether outright or implied. They are sensitive animals and and can be easily offended. You run the risk of having yourself reported to the GCLU, (Gorilla Civil Liberties Union).
    Unlike us, they have no "safe space" to retreat to and thus are could possibly have a total melt down.
    Please, for their sake, I implore you to be more sensitive in your comments.

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  18. Gary Sandberg

I totally agree with you. Now about those "ham-fisted orangutans"..................

19. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas

Like LightGuy, I was an aircraft mechanic/avionics technician/inspector for forty-one years. Before that I was a teenager who worked on his own cars and motorcycles. So, twirling a wrench is pretty much second nature.

As for the "highly advanced electronics" on a Ferrari? Well, uh, in a word...no. Compared to fourth and fifth generation military fighter planes, the systems in my 2006 F430F1 are stone-axe simple. The main obstacle to working on my car has been the lack of availability of diagnostic tools at a reasonable price. Technical data such as shop manuals and wiring diagrams are difficult to obtain. Difficult, but not impossible. That's where the good folks of FerrariChat have been my saviors. I have assembled a decent collection of tech data and I do ALL of the work on my F430. Engine oil and filter, gearbox oil, coolant, brake fluid, brake pads, power steering fluid, accessory belt, etc. I have not changed the F1 fluid as yet because I am not sure my diagnostic tool (x431) has the capability to drain, fill, bleed and leak check the system. I am working to find out. I recently diagnosed and repaired a frustrating F1 problem (turned out to be a broken wire). Perseverance.

The key to working on these machines is to TAKE YOUR TIME! The first engine oil change I performed on my 430 took about eight days. I followed the shop manual step-by-step. If a special tool was required, I would stop work until I obtained it (the internal extracting tool to remove the drain plug support flange comes to mind). If I hit a snag or did not have sufficient knowledge available, I would step back from the job until I was confident I had what I needed to proceed. If I am unable to obtain the tools or tech data required for a particular maintenance operation, I will acknowledge my limitations and take my car to a trusted independent shop. There are two such shops within 150 miles of my location, as well as an authorized Ferrari dealership.

If you enjoy doing things mechanical, then do your own work. If you don't, then don't. Either way, just as good. We buy these things for the sensory pleasures they bring. All other considerations are insignificant.

In response to the question of maintenance records affecting resale value: I don't care. I waited all my life to buy a Ferrari and now I have one. I'm in my sixties, retired and living on a pension. Some of the fellows on this forum might even say I have no business owning a Ferrari. I don't care about that, either. This is my first Ferrari and it will be my only Ferrari. I am content. When I am gone my heirs can worry about resale value :p.

Enjoy your Ferrari in your own way. YOU paid for it.

20. Gary Sandberg

You nailed my thoughts exactly. Salutes and good on you sir!

21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I like to maintain, modify and break them.
    Beat the devil out of them on the track leaving nothing left but scrap metal for the next guy.

Sorry folks its just a car like a 76 subaru

:)

22. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I had to stop doing my own maintenance after I lost my deep well 10mm socket.

23. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Ultimately, time is money. If your time is better spent earning more money than would be saved by doing the work yourself, then you have your answer why.

That said, I enjoy wrenching. It's a form of meditation for me and I look forward to tinkering with my cars. It helps I have formal training from when I was younger, but anything that requires special tools I just take it to the shop.

MalcQV likes this.
  24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Definitely this. Though barely a week in the shop and £4500 is more than I earn in a week, but if I was to do it myself (and a big part of that £4500 was parts) it would take me forever.