Can not find: Air box delete (the spare one off intake) delete F355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Can not find: Air box delete (the spare one off intake) delete F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Dec 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    #51 plugzit, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Perhaps you could design a resonator to Helmholtz Ernie from the thread????
    If you can do that, then maybe perform a true service to mankind.......wives?????
    Teach us, oh great one. :D

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It would take a Christmas miracle! :)

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #53 ernie, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Relax "professor", I'm not writing a paper for the society of automotive engineers. All I'm trying to do is give a loose IDEA of why it is my opinion that the resonator is not for making power. I never said that my very loose discription was the end all be all, hence why I used a Coke bottle as an example. Nor am I going to get into a pissing match with you about the physics of acoustical super charging, or noise cacelation.

What I will say is that I know what a harmonically tuned intakes looks like. I have talked for hours on end with a guy that has experimented with them, tested them, and modified them, until he got verifiable, repeatable, dyno proven results. I have been to his shop a number of times, seen his prototypes, finalized products, and discussed how he was able to achieve acoustical super charging via resonance tuning. I have been to the dyno testing facility and have gotten solid verification that his tuned intakes indeed made significantly more power than the stock intake. Matter of fact his intake is so good that they made more power than individual throttle bodies on the same engine. And yes, that included optimal ecu tuning for both the ITBs and his tune intake. He had several variations that produced peak power at 8500, 9000, 9500, and was working on one that was tuned to make peak power at 10,000 rpm. And by making more power I'm not talking about an extra horse power or two. His manifold beat the ITBs by 14+hp. Over the stock intake it was something to the tune of 40+hp.

I have also been to another guy's shop a few times, talked to him for hours and hours on end about modifying and tuning intakes, even was privileged to lay hands on his work. His latest creation had a bone stock f119 348 engine making well over 300hp at the wheels on a roller dyno at just over 8000rpm. Stock long block, stock cams, stock compression. I have seen his prototypes, and various iterations of his intakes, plus the proven real world dyno results.

After having witnessed all of this, and seen the vast difference in sizing for what it takes to extract substantial amounts of power out of an engine with acoustical tuning, I am pretty confident in saying that chicken**** resonator on the side of a 355 5.2 intake is a joke. At BEST, and IF it makes ANY power at all, it will be a single low digit.

I myself had my stock plenum for a 348 modified, and then I tested it on the dyno. I lost power, because the stock motronic 2.7 is not adaptive at wide open throttle, it runs in open loop at fixed afr settings. The engine was drawing in more air than the stock ECUs were supplying fuel = the engine ran lean, as in over 14:1 from 1800 - to the rev limiter at 7750rpm. Though it did loose power, the power curve remained the same. I haven't gone to get my ECUs tuned for my modded intake, and probably won't after having seen the sizing of the other intakes.

I am a real world build it and test it kind of guy. No I'm not a person "edjumucated" in the field of acoustical tuning. But I have witnessed what it takes in real life, and that goofy little cigarette box on the side of a 355 intake tube ain't it.

My apologies for insulting your "superior intellect and education".

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=AevY1yvVvAs[/ame]

:D

4. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Denied!!!

It's a piece of coal for you.

:p

5. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    seriously? you need to back it down.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Gee's, and I even said please! :(

7. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Ernie, wait, are you saying that this guy made more power than all the engineers at Ferrari?

Come on, this has been discussed before, Ferrari knows best and you simply cannot improve on what the engineers in Italy have bestowed upon us.

It (the resonator) is clearly there to make power and without it you will lose at least 50 HP. ;)

LMFAO. However, only the dyno knows the truth.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'll eventually post a thread with all the pics, including the dyno sheet vs my sheet on the exact same dyno.

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Any noise reducing is to make customers happy that's it.

Engineers didn't do it for any other reason.

Fact is again if you want to keep that pos keep it, if you don't put in the plug.

This discussion was gone off topic all he wanted to know was if one was available. Not all of us have a lathe in the garage to make one wish I did I would have made one.

That box is worthless to me others the noise and frequencies may be ouch to their body's that's why it was installed.

10. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC

lmoa. thanks brother. Ricambi just came in the mail. Looks great, aluminum black, with gasket. took 1 second to install.

and I'm done. merry xmas everyone and a happy new year! In JAIL (wonderful life) LOL

11. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    cool :)

12. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    did anyone verify if the benefits of removing this outweigh any potential disadvantages by removing it?

13. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
  14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Stick it on the dyno and test it. 3-5 pulls with a resonator, and then another 3-5 pulls with the resonator deleted. Then get back to us and let us know what the dyno said.

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #65 ernie, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019