Ferrari 360 Spyder VS Porsche Boxster GTS | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Spyder VS Porsche Boxster GTS

Discussion in '360/430' started by lotus425, May 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotus425

lotus425 Rookie

Jun 7, 2005
    Arcadia, California
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Wang
    Summer is upon us. Two great sports car at similar price point. Which would you prefer? Fun factor, Performance, and value retention. The F360 is not available at local exotic car rental company. Hard to make a purchase decision without getting a feel for the car. How does the 360 spyder drive? Is it a quicker car compared to the Boxster GTS on the street and on track?

2. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Not fair comparison .. Newer vs older , horsepower difference . Driving characteristics are totally different

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Value retention? Have you ever seen a Boxster sell for more that $10,000 ten years out? The GTS will be no exception. Lead anchor.

I'm sure more refined, more reliable, etc. etc. A friend bought one new. I wouldn't trade it for a 360. He has a 430 spider btw as well.. and his comment is nothing like a Ferrari.

imahorse and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The 360 will not be quicker or out handle the Boxster but they sure are fun to drive. The Boxster is a great car but will become routine, it will be more special in the Ferrari. Depends on what you want - a great DD or something for beautiful days.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yup, my 991 S with x51 lost $50k in 2 years with only 10k miles. Newer Porsche values suck.

6. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Unless it's a GT3.

7. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    i would take a 355 over a boxster . lol

8. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    50K? Seems high. A brand new 991 S MSRP is $105K? Not sure what it was back in 2014. Let's say out the door price was 135K...you can only sell for $85K?

If you don't me me asking...if you paid above 135K..what made you choose a 991 S over a used Ferrari F430? I'm curious to know. Thanks

9. Trouts10

Trouts10 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Heilman
    Yes, the old apples and oranges thing. I own both a gated 360 and a Cayman S; the previous owner of the S had some engine modifications done to increase horsepower (dyno'd @ 328) so it's similar to the GTS.

Completely different animals: The Cayman is great for errands and is, of course, a practical and good handling car. But the Modena is an exhilarating drive and seems a bit raw, like a throwback to an earlier era, which makes it much more exciting and fun.

I can tell you the Cayman will eventually be sold long before the Modena.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The 360 is almost fully depreciated, hence, is more likely to retain its value. However, the latest 360 spider is 11 years old. It will be more expensive to maintain. Am sure the Porsche will be fun to drive, but it is not a Ferrari.

11. Nautilus12

Nautilus12 Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Get the 360. More fun imo and better value retention without a doubt

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #12 Gh21631, May 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Mine listed at 130K, sold it for 80K to a dealer. The 991 S might retail for about 85k or so. Just bought a 430 spider, I guess I should have skipped the Porsche but I have to say it was/is a great car. Plenty of power, great sound, conformable and beautiful.

Here are the old and the new. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Evo did a comparison of the 360 Spider and the 987.2 Boxster Spyder last year:

Porsche Boxster Spyder v Ferrari 360 Spider | Evo

Great article. I've owned both of the cars, as well as a brand new 981 Boxster Spyder, and it's truly apples-to-oranges. Get which one you lay in bed dreaming about.

anunakki likes this.
  14. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    I'm in CA and Porsches are very common... like a Toyota Prius. Very pedestrian. And Porsche doesn't even know how to correctly spell "spider".

A 360 however is uncommon... and it's a Ferrari. Get the 360 Spider (insert mic drop here).

15. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Nice! 991 S is a great looking car. Thanks for clarifying you sold it back to the dealer. You probably could have gotten 10K more if you tried selling it on your own but that can be a hassle. Congrats on the F430. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

I would choose the 360 over the Boxter GTS.

16. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have owned 10+ Porsches... They say "There's no substitute" but Ferraris are beyond what you could own.. It is a unique experienece and I would go for 360 in a heart beat.

17. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Porsche has more mechanical grip, more confidence inspiring handling, more outright ability I'd imagine. Boxster has phenomenal ride quality but the 360 is remarkably good too. Porsche will have a quieter cabin when you want it to be quiet...my 360 has the Tubi and, well, it never calms down. Which is what I want in a once-a-week thrill ride.

Boxster sounds fantastic but 360 (again with Tubi in my case) is just a mechanical symphony. It SCREAMS!!!!!

Porsche is solid and well made (I've owned 5 911s including a 997 GT3) but the Ferrari surprises with it's solid feel IMO. At once solid but you can see and feel the lightness of the design as well. When you look over your shoulder and can see right out the ass of the car (challenge grill) or pop the hood and there's nothing in there but engine and aluminum space frame. So sexy!

Though I'd rate the Boxster (all generations) as one of the finest sports cars ever made and one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driver (and I've pretty much driven them all) it doesn't have the drama and theatre of the 360.

The Boxster is a much better car, the 360 is an experience.

18. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    #18 Rosso_United_1999, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Sorry to reignite this old thread but it struck me a while ago how little the modern sports car vs older supercar (for basically the same outright money) discussion is covered by most outlets. It's often the presumption that you'll either be focusing on one or the other, but not in comparison.

Supremely capable modern Porsche (generally) vs a few gens back Ferrari / Lambo / McLaren. I think a LOT of guys will weigh this up on a fairly regular basis.

The way I look at this debate is really to look back at what I've done over the years, namely I've been driving Porsches for a good while now (6 years) and finally I made it to the land of Fez.

As has been mentioned, these two marques (especially comparing Porsche and Ferrari, moreso than say Porsche v a Huracan or basic McLarens) are starkly different.

Porsche offers you precision, detail, refinement, an overall picture of what a sports car should be (and that definitely includes excitement); evolution and perfection is really the aim of these cars. Get everything as right as possible. A Porsche will impress you more than any other car on the planet. They are cars to feel immensely proud of. They are to be eternally admired.

Ferrari (quite severely) sacrifices the idea that what you want is overall perfection and instead provides you with a far more basic philosophy. It wants to thrill you in every way it can. It wants to make you feel younger. And in true Italian spirit, Ferrari wants to make you fall in love with it. They are cars for romantics. And with this naturally wilder adventure comes things that are harder to live with. They are less precise. Less drivable in many ways. They are difficult machines to live with at times (well, quite a lot of the time). They can be twitchy. They can throw hissy fits. It will cost you more (over time).

Porsche is the girl you marry. Ferrari is maybe the girl you *wish* you could marry.

Did I want another Porsche or did I want a Ferrari this time around? Well, I got the Ferrari, at last. But will I go back to Porsche? Absolutely, I would. I'd kill for a GT3. This is not a case of never being able to look back.

But for the time being I don't want perfection. I don't want the mass produced bits of aluminium Audi-style teutonic interior as nice as it is to use and touch. I just want a sea of old-school Italian leather all around me and not much else. I don't want LED screens ****ing everywhere, I just want a tachometer with a limit of 9000 RPM (or thereabout). I don't want what a slightly generic "sports exhaust" sound burbling behind me. I want the shrieking, howling cacophony of a flat-plane Italian V8. I don't want superior lap times. I want the constant roller-coaster ride of never quite knowing when the infamous 360 "twitchiness" is going to try and chew me up mid-corner. But for all that outright thrill, I have the far lesser thrills of trickle-charge discipline. The fear of vandalism. The fact the door locks (oh, and most everything else on the car) will need changing. The fact it can barely reverse. The fact it's an utterly useless car for errands. The fact the MPG is comical. The fact that when it barely drizzles I get anxious that the "car probably won't like it." The Porsche couldn't care if you forget about, the Ferrari just refuses to let you.

Some affairs are longer, some are shorter and at this point I wouldn't care either way how this current one goes. All I'd recommend to anyone is to experience both sides of the spectrum and enjoy these incredible machines for what they truly are!

VAF84 and Makuono like this.
  19. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sounds right what you are saying with old Ferraris but anything from 2010+ Ferrari have raised its own bar and pretty much reached the same level of its competitors IMO.

20. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    The Boxster is a great car. Porsche builds wonderful cars all around. Not part of the comparison but will share that I love my GT3. Quick, modern, loud, sharp handling. You know which keys I grab when I have a free hour and want to go for a nice drive? My 360. Every time. Something special about that car....

Robb likes this.
  21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Porsche is more bang for the buck, less drama (good and bad). It’s the girl your mother wanted you to marry.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I have three Ferrari wives in the garage. My mom is good with all of them. Never regretted a day. Would never pick a Porsche over them.

Robb

23. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I don't know why my experience got moved to the Porsche section...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/120-miles-in-a-2017-cayman-s.604346/

I have had my 360 Modena gated manual for 3 years now. For me, it was a quest, a dream come true, a goal acheived, etc. On the other hand, if you want a new car or one with ALL the modern conveniences and you want to be able to buy one within a few weeks or months, the Porsche Cayman S that I drove is an excellent choice! I dont know if if fulfills a dream, but I would NEVER complain about driving it. The fact is the vast majority of purchases are cost limited and there are not that many Ferraris that are in the Cayman price range, new or used, and the ones that are, are not going to out perform it by much if at all...

I love my 360 and I like my dad's Cayman S PDK too! There is enough pavement for both in this country...

24. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    The Porsche is better...but buy the 360.

25. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I love my 981 Boxster GTS it handles way better than a F360 and is not much slower