355 - Pushing it too much, or can I get away with it? | FerrariChat

355 Pushing it too much, or can I get away with it?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jeffdavison, Aug 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Looking to get new tires for my F355. Eyeballing the Michelin 4S tires. I'll be using the Stock rims. I would like to put 285/35-18's in the rear and the 10" width is good for that size. However, I want to put 245/35-18's on the front where the minimum published width recommended is 8", The Stock F355 front wheel is 7.5" wide, just a tick under the recommended width. Is this something I can get away with, with minimal complications?

JD

2. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Rears would be fine. Re fronts, yes you could get it on the wheel but the sidewalls would be bulging over the rim's edge which actually make them more prone to rolling and reduce lateral grip. Stick to the stock size on the front IMO.

308 GTB likes this.
  3. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    this is a given, question really boils down to, how much (buldging and overhang)?. With only 1/2 inch difference, in practical terms of normal usage, that's 1/4 inch per side, is that really that much of a concern in real world usage?

4. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have that size on 8 inch Challenge rims. I think you would have a little too much tire bulge . 8 inch really is a minimum

308 GTB likes this.
  5. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    ok, agreed y'all... going to the 225/40-18's up front.
    Thanks
    JD

308 GTB likes this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Good choice, Jeffrey. There are other reasons why 225/40-18s up front are a better choice. See the attached Racing Setup guide that I've attached.

Barry

Attached Files:

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Good choice. I think the side wall height with the 245 would have been too tall as well.
    However, I would absolutely recommend the 285 in the rear, perfect sidewall profile