458 - Rear Brake Pads | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Rear Brake Pads

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hgoodwiniii, Apr 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Thanks. Will the Motul be ok to top off whatever the dealership put in last year?

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    yes, it should compatible with all other brake fluids. Check Motul's website for more specifics.

Ray

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you don’t remove the calipers, how do you drive the pistons back into their bores without nicking the rotors?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Finally got around to changing the rear pads. Like everyone else, the rears wore faster than the fronts. I didn’t wait for the warning light because I didn’t want to risk overheating or damaging the rotors. So, I changed them when the pad material was less than the thickness of the backing plate. I used OEM pads. Ricambi has a nice set with pads, pins, spring retainer and sensors.

As others noted, it’s an easy job. The hardest part is driving the pins back in. There isn’t a lot of room behind the calipers to swing a hammer, so I suggest a small one and short drift pins. You don’t need a lot of force but you do need to be sure they are seated. You can easily spread the old pads and drive back the pistons with this handy, but pricey tool from Girodisc.

Unlike iron rotors, the carbon ceramic ones remain true, so even using no high temp brake grease or other lube, the new pads are quiet. As with any brake job, be sure to watch the level of the fluid, as driving back the pistons will overflow the reservoir.

Be sure to have a few small zip ties handy. You will need them to secure the brake warning sensor wires. The sensor plugs into the harness and slides on and off a rail. Don’t pry it off. You also have to un-do a latch before the old one will slide off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

hgoodwiniii and SVCalifornia like this.
  5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I won’t need front pads for awhile, but looked up the price, and was surprised to see they cost less than the rears, even though bigger. Any idea why?

6. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Sorry, I'm just getting around to this; I was able to push the rear pistons on the rear calipers back using a large set of pliers. I was able to get them on the caliper bolt and a small metal area of old brake pad that protrudes above the pad material and then squeeze the pistons back. I was able to push the front pistons on the rear calipers back with my hands using 4 fingers on the small top metal area of the old brake pad and my thumb on the top front part of the caliper