458 - Drifting - better with CT Off or ESC Off | FerrariChat

458 Drifting - better with CT Off or ESC Off

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by thebigo, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Have a question for the experienced 458 owners. When I disable all electronic systems (i.e. ESC Off), drifting, even on dry roads is quite easy. But I would prefer CT Off to have a security belt for unexpected situations and the manual states, that drifting should be possible in CT Off as well - at least to a certain drift angle. Yes - I know that the 458 do not have something like the SSC, but as said, according to the manual it should be possible. My personal experience shows something different, since the ESC kicks in very early.

Any other experience out there?

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    CT Off won't allow you to drift. It'll shut that down. You can, however, lay thick black stripes in a straight line. It isn't until you reach a certain angle that the TC kicks in. Personally, I love it. No wear on the rear brakes in 6k miles, and enough fun on the street to get into trouble. Works great at the track too. Other than wanting to drift, I don't think ESC off is ever needed.

3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Well, it’s safe to say you’re a bigger man than me. Never had the balls to do it :oops:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    CT off sure allows you to drift the car, I do it all the time in this mode

Ianjoub likes this.
  5. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    I learned drifting quite a long time ago and the 458 is a very nice and balanced car for drifting. First tried it on very wet tarmac on a race track and it was very easy and controllable. In the dry you only need a little bit more speed, but in the end it is the same. Anyway, staying in ESC Off just feels not safe, when driving our back country roads with a lot of a commitment. When doing a power oversteer drift, you are typically not that fast, but riding at the limit with ESC Off is totally different thing.

PJxxx and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  6. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Hmm, mine allows only a little slip and not a full fledged drift with the largest possible steering angle. Maybe different software versions? My 458 is a 2012 MY...

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We turned everything off at Corsa Pilota to drift/donut the Pista ....:p

Keith Ngulube and DefunctNeurons like this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So CT off won’t let you drift but CST off will?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Ct off cuts throttle. It won’t let driver to go deeper with angle. Mild power slide I would say.
    Turn it off to ever try any serious angle.
    Bear in mind though, when MR spins, it goes backward since rear is heavy. Brake sooner and firmer than FR when things go wrong.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tekaefixe likes this.
  10. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Ct off cuts throttle. It won’t let driver to go deeper with angle. Mild power slide I would say.
    Turn it off to ever try any serious angle.
    Bear in mind though, when MR spins, it goes backward since rear is heavy. Brake sooner and firmer than FR when things go wrong.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Mine is a 2011. Maybe I should clarify that I don't do donuts rather drift out of corners mildly in CT off mode

12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Everything off to drift the car and to have maximum control! But you need to know what you’re doing.
    Love drifting all the way up mountain passes up and down (for example Stelvio). Can get expensive with tires.
    Also no semi slicks otherwise you have too much grip.
    Actually middle tier tires are the ones you should have.

AlfistaPortoghese and Makuono like this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I never got the fascination with drifting. I too do it sometimes, but I know it is silly and usually prefer to drive quickly with lines.

14. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    You can't really drift if everything is not off. However, the E-diff on the 458 is so good, that it makes the drift so controllable, that even someone without any experiense can do it after several tries. I never owned another car, that is so user friendly in that point of view.

15. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Ok, thanks for all your replies. It looks like for drifting the Manettino must be set to ESC Off. This is in line with my experience, whereas the manual says soemthing different. Anyway, therefore we have the Manettino - to switch everything off when this marvelous long, open and wide curve is ahead.

SVR likes this.
  16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I know that CT off turns just traction control off vs ESC off where all the electronic nannies are off (from my understanding), but can anyone elaborate on the difference between the two /also what the result is for spirited driving in the 458/488? just trying to learn a bit more

17. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Traction control is simply about controlling wheel spin. Different levels of F1-Trac allow more and more wheel spin. On the other side ESC (aka Electronic Stability Control) keeps your car on the track by applying selective braking to single wheels or limiting throttle, when the car detects, that it is not pointing in the right direction anymore. Therefore, ESC Off limits sliding. Everything in the limits of physics, just to say..

sampelligrino and johnr265 like this.
  18. Anindith Reddy

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anindith Reddy
    I feel CT off intervenes too early if you actually want to drift. I use ESC off

SVR and sampelligrino like this.
  19. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    You mean ct off limits sliding?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Yes, actually it is the ESC, that limits sliding.

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  21. Battleweapons

Battleweapons Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Jerez De La Frontera
    Pretty easy to sum up ... Race mode = 20° angle max.... CT off = 45° max ... ESC off = 70° or more...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Wow. Nice Resurrection of an almost 2 year old thread. Lol.

Battleweapons likes this.