Corvette C8 over used 458??? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Corvette C8 over used 458???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PA Wolfpacker, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    When you actually see the new C8, you realize that it is not cohesive in design. Being in MI, see a C8 almost everyday. Pulled up next to a white one while I was in the 458, everyone gave the C8 a big thumbs down - no comparison. I can see the C8 being serious competition to the Porsche Cayman. Will be interesting to see the ZO6 variant as with the added ground effects, it may enhance overall cohesion. Lastly, the back end of the car has some serious issues with the Camaro taillights.

docf likes this.
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I believe the C8 is *a lot* of car for a relatively small amount of money, imho. The 458 has the aura of being a Ferrari. And a 458 at that, no less.

Given the choice of owning just one, to the exclusion of every other car, I believe most people would choose the Ferrari (regardless of specific model in question) over the Chevrolet, to experience that magical thing called Ferrari ownership experience at least once in one’s life.

Because of that intangible, I think the comparison between the two is fruitless. Classic case, textbook example of apples and oranges.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

docf, Fireman1291, Chizz and 2 others like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The 360 vs. C8 and to a degree 430 is not apples and oranges. The C8 cars that will leave the dealer lkts, will not leave with a 60 grand sticker. They will leave with 90+ grand stickers. This means that the 360 is a direct competitor and so is the F430 as it's not priced that far from the C8's you'll see on the roads.

It will however not compete with the 458, 488 and F8. Those cars are in a completely different price bracket. The 458, 488 or F8 owner might add a C8 to the collection, but the average C8 buyer is probably not able to afford a 458, 488 or F8.

But there's no doubt that some will consider whether they want the true exotic, i.e the Italian pure bred, or the sportscar made by "Buck" and "Earl" in the boonies. The cars may be very different, but the allure and price put them in direct competition.

Graz likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    To me the reality is that the C8 is not a competitor to any Ferrari - different prices, and above all, different motivations for the buyer.
    Ironically a C8 will probably cost more to own in the end than a 360 or F430, because it will depreciate whereas the 360 and F430 are already close to their bottom prices. But being relatively old cars, the 360 and F430 can probably not be used as extensively as a C8.
    A 458 could, but then it's significantly more expensive.
    So for similar prices or usage, there is no match between a C8 and any Ferrari - the choice is between two very different propositions.

Jeronimo GTO, KC360 FL, Chizz and 3 others like this.
  5. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    We are making more out of this than necessary. Classic case of mental masterbation. I seriously doubt any car enthusiast would choose any modern corvette over a comparable Ferrari if given the opportunity to own either.
    We would do better to continue to beat up the 458 vs. 488 thread.

gh0st0 and ScrappyB like this.
  6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    And I say tell potential buyers that the C8 will have no warranty and financing will be difficult-- and then we can find out what really separates the car from a 360 or 430 purchase in "potential" buyers' minds

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Very true. Then again the C8 is tremendous value for money.

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Corvette always has been. So was the C7 and the C6.

But again, not a Ferrari. I doubt the mid engine layout hype changes the landscape of potential buyers who are looking into buying a 458-- and can afford one.

9. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Agreed. But if you have the money to buy a 458 or 488 you aren’t looking for value just a fair price

Gh21631 likes this.
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The possibility of cross-shopping is very low, indeed. I wouldn't mind a C8 though.

11. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    I keep seeing this argument tossed around but I don’t believe it’s entirely valid unless you add “... so long as you don’t actually drive the Ferrari very often”.

Chizz likes this.
  12. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    Thats the point looking for reliable sports car you can drive and not worry about miles

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am currently purchasing a 458. But as expected, my wife wants to upgrade her car. I told her about the new Corvette. We went to a dealership "Team Chevrolet of Swansboro NC". We went through the different models and decided on the 3LT model for the MSPR of $72K. Then the manager comes over to tell me that the dealership is going to charge an extra $10K. I say "bull sht" and walk out. Just 45 miles down the road, I called and can get the same car without the upcharge. Everytime I think about the dealership, the taste of puke crosses my tongue. Just the thought of GM allowing this to happen turned me off of the car. It also told me they will be everywhere and a dime a dozen. NO THANKS!!!

Chizz and G. Pepper like this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Better than having to buy a Lusso to get a Pista.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Buying a Lusso to get a Pista? Must be a US thing.

Ash Patel likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    10k upcharge fo a Chevy...
    There's something seriously wrong with that. I hope that manager saw you drive off in a Ferrari.

Did another dealer sell you the car at MSRP or was it the first dealer that called you bavk and offered you the car at MSRP?

17. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    What stops the NSX and probably is the C8 is the interior materials and workmanship

If GM ever uses real leather and real stitching then Ferrari will have a problem

In the meantime the C8 will be a major door ding in the exotic market

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #143 Il Co-Pilota, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Doubt that very much.
    It is not an exotic, and will never be regarded as a such
    Those who say it is like a Ferrari and alle that bull, are for the most part people whom can't afford a Ferrari.
    Those in the market for a Ferrari will not, not now, not ever, see this as real competition. Most who purchase the newer Ferraris can just add a C8 if they feel like it.
    The only place this thing will make a dent, is in the US, and it will probably hurt the domestic brands and Porsche the most.
    I'm sure there will be people who now considers the fact that they can get a car that is "exactly like a Ferrari" to use an expression that will probably be heard more than once, an opinion over a Mustang GT350R or the Hellcat etc. attractive.
    And of course there's the huge group of middle aged housewives that has always had a thing for the Corvette.

No car in history has managed to be as masculine, but a total girls blouse at the same time as the Corvette:)

19. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    "And of course there's the huge group of middle aged housewives that has always had a thing for the Corvette." Hey my wife represents that remark.

To answer IL Co Pilota question, it was the first dealership that tried to charge an extra $10K. Then the sales manager tried to tell me what a deal it was as everyone else is charging up to $20K extra and only a couple of dealerships in Tx were not charging the upcharge!!!
    We did an internet search to see which dealerships were not charging above the MSRP - that is how common it is for a dealer to charge above MSRP. The second dealership (just down the road) explained that they wanted 10% down and it would be April to May of next year as they had 28 orders ahead of mine. I decided not to purchase one.

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Lol at the outdated idiotic stereotype.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    In Europe some had to purchase a Portifino, apparently those aren't selling so well abroad.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thank you for the explanation:)
    That is just nuts.

23. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    You may want to rethink your comments after reading this article and watching the video.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019/08/22/video-french-company-faurecia-makes-the-interiors-for-bugatti-ferrari-and-now-the-c8-corvette/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=corvette_sales_news_lifestyle_daily_recap&utm_term=2019-08-23

FWIW, a few years back I was part of a focus group of sports car owners, we evaluated interiors, dash, carbon, leathers, seats, etc., not knowing we were commenting on several design concepts for the C8. I can tell you with certainty, Chevy took this feedback serious and is definitely represented in the C8.

MB

Caeruleus11, Thecadster, Graz and 2 others like this.
  24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    When the R8 came out they tried the “upcharge” tactic on me. As I started to walk out the manager ran over and changed his mind not to lose the sale. Car “dealers” have been pulling this nonsense for years including Ferrari on some models. Porsche is doing it now with the new Speedster. The only difference is that those cars have exclusivity in limited build numbers. I think the new Corvette is beautiful inside and out but it will hardly be exclusive. If customers let them get away with it, they’ll continue to take advantage.

Chizz likes this.
  25. Loucho26

Loucho26 Rookie

May 19, 2019
    New york
    Full Name:
    Anzelmo giovanniello
    Why is anyone even comparing a vette aka poor mans Ferrari!!!!!

Chizz, ttforcefed and eljellybean like this.