Kline Innovation Exhaust for 458 Italia - why not more popular? | FerrariChat

Kline Innovation Exhaust for 458 Italia - why not more popular?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Agostinho, Aug 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    After many hours of research, Kline Innovation exhaust seems to check all the boxes for a top 458 exhaust system.

*Good build quality
    *Nice looking finish and welds
    *Great F-1 sounding high pitch sound at higher RPMs (to me sounds the same as IPE and Novitec, which is hard to prove because of headers/cats/decat differences)
    *Good exhaust volume
    *Material options (stainless steel or Inconel)
    *Lots of exhaust options (full, headers, cats, decat, remote valve control, exhaust tips, etc)
    *Some of the most competitive pricing I can find

What am I missing? Why isn't Kline Innovation exhaust more popular?

MacDemarco likes this.
  2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I can't speak in regards to Kline and the 458 or Ferraris in general, but in the 911 world Kline has an excellent reputation for build quality but their exhausts are for people who want to slightly change the tone but want the volume only a smidgen louder than stock. I considered them a few years ago for my 991.1 TTS and it seemed hardly worth the effort as volume was a consideration for me. But again, not sure if that translates to the 458.

3. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I have a 991.2 TTS with Kline inconel headers and exhaust with 200 cell cats

It is VERY LOUD and HIGH PITCH when you are on the pedal, but very tame just cruising around town, which is perfect for me.

Kline is considered one of the very best exhausts in Porsche land.

I would expect the same performance for Ferrari's

I installed the Forza exhaust valve switch on my 458 which sounds amazing now, so I really don't need to change the exhaust on the car

soulsea likes this.
  4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Hmm, it must be the headers that are increasing the volume, the header back alone on the 911.1 TTS with high flow cats doesn't increase volume much ... had a long convo with sam at bydesign about it back in the day and he confirmed this. Ended u0p going with the AWE tuning exhaust which I loved.

Anyhoot, agreed on their excellent reputation ... ultimately it's hard if not impossible to be objective about these things without hearing them side by side.

5. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    yes, indeed, it's all a matter of individual taste

btw I purchased everything from Sam as well, top notch guy!

6. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I jumped on a Kline exhaust during Vivid’s sale. Opted for the 200 cel, valved setup in inconel. Looking forward to getting it on the car. They include O2 spacers in the cars as well for a little extra help with CEL’s.

soulsea likes this.
  7. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

Regarding a 458, whether it's IPE, Novitec or Kline, I find it hard to believe anyone would say an exhaust system with headers, decat and open valves is only slightly different jn tone and volume compared to stock.

All equal (headers, decat, valves open, etc), I'd like to hear a comparison. All equal, especially running what's essentially open exhaust, in a blind test, I bet it would be difficult to say which brand is which.

soulsea likes this.
  8. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    maybe not on a 458, but on a Porsche turbo s, the different brands make a different sound that is noticeable

9. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

If you run open headers (no exhaust, just headers) on a Porsche, can you hear the difference from one brand of headers to another?

10. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I don't know, I have not heard one with no exhaust

11. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    There’s a YouTube video by Shanon Amos with his 458 Spider that had 200 cell cats and a valved backsection. Don’t know the material he bought and the video only has sound inside the car with the roof down. Would be interested to hear that car from the outside and to know what materials he has. I’ve been told inconel gives a higher pitch due to the chemical makeup of the material.

daflk likes this.
  12. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    yes, inconel produces a higher pitch compared to stainless steel

daflk likes this.
  13. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

Is wall thickness or density different? Why can you hear a difference?

14. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    It’s stronger so you can use thinner material, achieving both lighter and higher pitch.

I ordered an inconel version of the Novitec exhaust. Will update vs stock exhaust. I have fabspeed headers and 200 cell cats (HJS core) from fabspeed already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obbob likes this.
  15. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I really think Kline is the under appreciated underdog. Their product and customer service is top notch, especially if you go for their inconel.

I have two confident guesses on why they are not too popular.

First: to be frank, they suck at marketing. If you look at IPE and especially Novitec, they constantly release high quality marketing videos and photo shoots, and are always sponsoring high visibility automotive events. Kline releases like one video every few years, and can barely manage their social media accounts. They even regularly post Instagram posts of cars that have their competitors exhausts on them...it’s really bewildering.

Second: Kline unfortunately has a bad dealer network. If you pull up a list of Novitec dealers, you’ll get a prestigious list of the most reputable shops in various regions. On the other hand, Kline seems to select random dealers that may have never even touched a Ferrari. If you go with Kline, 100% buy the parts from a distributor but install it at a reputable shop familiar with Ferrari.

Flea7 likes this.
  16. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I put Kline on my Tdf and love it. Yes, their marketing sucks.

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If you’re talking about product quality, KLine is up there with the best of the best, if not the best. Their light-weight Inconel products are top notch quality and look.

I have their 100 cell inconel cats and x pipe muffler for the Scud.

If you want to be charged a high price for lower quality products because they dumped a bunch of money into marketing, then you have plenty to choose from.

I paid $6k for Capristo headers. Works well and does what it claims. No issues. But if you take a close look at the build and craftsmenship, it’s really whatevers. Similar to chinese-made exhaust craftsmenship imo. But at least it was a higher grade steel than typical 304.

Flea7 likes this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Inconel is not only light-weight and patinas beautifully, but also has superb heat rentention properties, which is a must for our hot engine bays.

19. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    When I pulled the trigger for the Kline setup, I was apprehensive because I hadn’t heard much about them. Poor marketing explains that. You guys are getting me amp’d about getting this system on. Gotta get a Mase tune to really take advantage of the setup.

20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had the FVD exhaust and Kline inconel headers with cat delete pipes on my 991 tts. It sounded great. I previously had a set of FVD headers that cracked from heat stress but since there was a tiny scrape from backing over a parking stop on one of them, the FVD people said they were cracked from that when it was clear the weld failed.

21. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Many people (me also) think, that the stock 458 exhaust with just a remote control for the valves makes just enough noise. I guess that may also be the reason.

22. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I’ve been spoiled by owning 2 different CS’s, 2x Scuds, and a GT3RS with a Sharkwerks exhaust. To me, the sound of the stock 458 is disappointing. But I get it’s more of a comfort car than the ones named above. That’s why I went with Kline, added noise, higher pitch, and a bargain compared to Novitec.

23. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I’ve got full Novitec inconel headers/race cats/exhaust, its super loud, sounds like an f1 car. Not for all. To me it’s intoxicating. Agree, stock is weak, does not do this car justice. I understand Kline is similar to Novitec, sound wise. To my ears IPE is similar as well.

ShineKen, daflk and Vegas CS like this.
  24. twcferrari

twcferrari Rookie

Feb 22, 2005
    California
    I purchased the Kline inconel exhaust system in 2017 for my 458. It has the F1 sound everyone is asking about. Couldn't be happier! I finally got around to posting a video with the system on my Ferrari. The YouTube story has more info.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    It might be me but I cant get their website to do what I want.
    Like looking up product / model information and pricing.
    The sight is covered with what THEY want you to see ( projects ) not specific easy to find areas of what I am looking for.
    Not very innovative.