Member Big Green Egg Thread! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Member Big Green Egg Thread!

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by rob lay, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. I've been to Hirsch's in Plano and Rudolph's in Deep Ellum, but not to David's. Don't go out that way too often, but I'll add it to my list the next time I do. Thanks!
    T

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There is no place to get BGE out here but I picked up one of these the other day from Home Depot.
    Really good stuff you guys are doing with the grill/smokers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I am ready to tackle the learning curve but I know I want to make pizza! What is the best thing to make a pizza on? I see a lot of choices.

3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I use a cast iron pizza stone over the ceramic place setter. Try to shoot for 600 F or so, so that the top cooks before the bottom chars. User NbyNW does pizza quite regularly on his BGE. He has a bunch of posts on the dinner thread...T

4. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks its going to be hard to find these things due to shipping out here but maybe I will get lucky.

5. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had time to kill and I found some brat worsts in the fridge....so they're on now! Going to shoot for two hours before I cook the real dinner, shrimp skewers!

I also tried to see what kind of temp controls I could manage and i'll be darned if this thing has held about 180 for an hour already! I am impressed. Also I shut it down last night after the chicken test and thought it might have smouldered overnight but nope! 3/4 of the charcoal remains! nice!

6. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I love big green egg. I sell them and because of that I was able to to see 1 of the 2 tri-posti along with a 250 lm and many other cool cars for a charity event.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I got 2 large racks of ribs yesterday from Costco that are pre-rubbed with St Louis style seasoning. I want to try the 3-2-1 method of cooking them but I have a question. I ordered but do not yet have a stone, for Vision grills its called the lava stone, that sits above the charcoal to act as a direct heat barrier. It also appears useful to put foil on to catch juice, etc. Do you guys recommend that I fashion something up to keep juice off the coals? Or is there any harm to letting them get dripped on? Also do I need to vary the 3-2-1 if my meat is directly over the coals with no barrier? I ordered a meat thermometer but do not think it will be here before I get busy! So I am... winging it.

Oh and I also found out where to but the BGE out here! A darned fishing supply store has them! HA!

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Old school place in Texas that has open pit claims that the juices land on the hot coals & generate smoke that perfumes the meat - making for magic flavor! I think I read that in Texas Monthly many years ago.
    I think as long as you're not dropping a ton of liquid on the coals, should be fine. I'd worry more about overcooking the ribs without the heat shield to block direct heat. So, keep a close eye on the temps...T

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    rob lay and Kevin Rev'n like this.
  10. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The stone or plate setter isn't there to block the juices from hitting the coals. It's there to create indirect heat so you can cook low and slow. Without that, you're going to pretty much have to grill the ribs. You probably won't be able to do the 3-2-1 method.

I would put them in a slow oven wrapped in foil with bit of brown sugar and honey for about three hours. Then take them out and grill them off on your Komado.

vincent355 and tomc like this.
  11. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ah darn I was worried about that! Its so hard to get products out here! The manufacturer wont ship the product to my house (it's 11 lbs) and they say that they ship to Home Depot but HD out here says we don't bring those in! I had to order it from some random place off of ebay that charged me 78 dollars to ship but 5 days later they still havent manged a tracking number!

So back to the food. Is there any kind of temporary direct heat reflector I might be able to use? Does it have to be a stone or can I use a piece of metal or foil? I might be able to rig something up but probably not going to quarry a stone and shape it before tomorrow! Do you think a ceramic or terracotta planter base would be ok?

12. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That may work. You just need to block direct heat and have airflow up to the ribs.

Don't forget to add a couple of apple wood chunks!

13. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    Looks like we're having ribs tonight - finally got my outdoor kitchen finished. So much easier to work when you have a little more countertop space. Doing the 3-2-1 method. Using pecan for smoke. I think the secret to doing it on the egg is never letting it overshoot on temp, as it's almost impossible to get it back down once it's heat soaked. One rack is just lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. The other rack has yellow mustard and smokehouse maple. Getting some new rubs in from Meat Church. I make a killer BBQ sauce that I'll finish them with on the last hour.

Maybe time for a Fchat BBQ at chez NYFAIM?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay and tomc like this.
  14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

That's a nice setup you have there!

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I.T. Guy and rob lay like this.
  16. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
  17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Glazed tile may contain lead. Even if not, there may be other disconcerting compounds to give you the vapors. At the very least, likelihood is it will crack.

Saltillo tile is unglazed terra cotta, available in various sizes at Home Depot, et al. Quarry tile may also happily suffice. These types are recommended by the likes of Alton Brown because of how they handle actual vapors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  19. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    tomc likes this.
  20. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks, thats the kind of think I was asking for! I will go another way! Much obliged!

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    first for me and maybe my new favorite on the Green Egg, Prime Rib! I grew up as a kid going with my parents to a great Prime Rib place almost every Friday. It was so good, it seems these days good Prime Rib is hard to find and those places just do on weekends. My favorite local Prime Rib is Del Frisco Grille and waiter told me their rub, which I was surprised almost exactly what I do for my ribs and brisket. Yesterday I bought a very high quality 5 lb Prime Rib letting it sit wrapped in fridge with my rub. Warmed back up to room temp and put on BGE 300 degrees with the diverter. Took about 90 minutes to get internal temp up to 110 and then I removed diverter for a direct 5 minute char. for my first time it couldn't have been better. Actually don't know anything to do better, I will be good to duplicate this every time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dom, powerpig, 05011994 and 2 others like this.
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cooked to perfection. The sides look awesome as well...T

23. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Looks great Rob. For prime rib, I cook at a lower temp, around 250- which will give you less brown, more red/pink to the edge of the slice. The downside is that it takes longer to cook as opposed to cooking at 300.

rob lay likes this.
  24. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OK so the 3-2-1 ribs were perfect but it was an interesting journey. I had a tough time on the cycles between the steps when the lid was open I had to work and monitor to control the temps because it shot up 50-75 degrees or so and then it was tough to get it back down! I think I need some more counter space around the thing so I can pull the meat off fast and wrap or unwrap or baste, etc without leaving the lid open too long. No pics unfortunately but something happened toward the end of the 6 hours and I want to see if anyone else has had this happen.

Toward the very end there was a lot of condensation coming out of the bottom vents and dripping water and after a while the coals went out. Was the condensation telling me that the flame went out? It was extremely humid yesterday and so I was wondering if the moist air getting sucked through the unburnt charcoal created a problem for me. Since it was right at the end of the cook cycle I just finished and took the meat off and came back to try and figure it out. I could not relight the charcoal easily at all I had to use a fire starter to get any to burn. After the fire starter got going the heat returned and I ran it up to 650 just to see if I could but I am a little worried if I try to do say a turkey or a big ham and need to go longer than 6 hours I may run into a problem. Any of you guys cook in humid environments? Or did I just not take enough care arranging the coals for a long burn? I have a kick ash basket that I had filled with lump charcoal and a three chunks of apple wood in it but was really surprised that I lost the burn!