FORMULA 1 JOHNNIE WALKER BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 JOHNNIE WALKER BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Now on to Monza where back-to-back victories are well within the realm of possibility.

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Leclerc is a class act .

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ferrari has troubles on the MED tire, and Seb more so than Charles. Have all year. They tend to avoid it at all cost, but had no choice today.

Flea7 and crinoid like this.
  4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Pretty sure Vettel was going to get passed by one or two Mercs if he didn't pit and he was complaining already about the tires going off so had already psyched himself out of contention.

With the strategy Ferrari got Vettel in a position to slow HAM down for a few laps which proved critical to the win, so no complaints about strategy.

As for looking bad, Vettel took care of that all by himself today by missing two opportunities to attack Leclerc - going wide at La Source at the start and again at La Source by locking up at the restart.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Congrats to Leclerc! Good drive, well deserved

6. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Well said & agreed

Seems like we eeked this one out by the skin of our teeth, on a track and conditions that favored us. Hope the team can use this to work even harder to get the car and pace to be more competitive. Don’t forget Max also out today, who has proven to be just as equal if not better this season... Mercs looked unflappable today per usual, even with Lewis complaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Vettel seems to be trashing his tires, out there.
    Okay, granted, he was playing catch-up to re-take 2nd, then brake-checked the Mercs, flat-spotting his tires.
    But he didn't get much mileage out of his second set.
    And got nowhere with the softs at the end. (Not counting the off-track excursion.)

Vettel needs to bring his A game to Monza, even as second to Leclerc.

I kinda expected the French flag and anthem. I had to look up that flag. ;) (Monaco)

ATBNM3 likes this.
  8. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Well done Charles. Really happy for him, hopefully the kick off of many many many more. He is exciting to watch.
    Good race by Hamilton, he almost had it.

9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #234 ingegnere, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Leclerc's pace on the (M) was pretty good but the drop off started earlier than on the Mercs, and the Merc's (M) had one and two laps less respectively for HAM and BOT. Vettel, for some reason, also killed his (S) prematurely.

Leclerc said after Hungary that he would take lessons from how he over-stressed the tires there and learn from it. Seems he did just that.

ATBNM3, Isobel and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  10. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Purely hypothetical as I can’t read Vettel’s mind but he looks lost and dejected , something going on there , been coming for a while and it is becoming more and more apparent . I think he has lost his edge , he has had his flaws over the years but he still is a champion , he just isn’t driving like a champion .

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Realistically, I think CL’s victory doesn’t happen without Vettel running interference. The car’s power is great, but the aero package leaves it vulnerable at the end of a run. It was certainly faster over a single lap today and maybe the early and mid portions of a stint. But it falls off precipitously in the latter portion of the tire life. CL’s car was on ice skates those final 3 laps. Managing that final lap with back-markers, yellow flags (Gio crash), and Hamilton attacking while sliding through every directional change was more impressive than we may realize.

ATBNM3, stavura, Picchu88 and 6 others like this.
  12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    My take; Seb got Eclair his first win. The Fezza needs work, nothing we haven’t known since the start of the season and we should expect Mercs to win the remainder if this was one of our best tracks. They’re a formidable villain ;).

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Leclerc's a SUPERSTAR

ATBNM3, Pawilly and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  14. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Checo on heavy tire wear tracks is a phenom. Smart thinking for Point to sign him again. He’s deceptively adept, has great instincts and is incredibly savvy, possibly the best 2nd seat driver a front line team could have. And Lando needs a seat in the top three.

zygomatic likes this.
  15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    The Scuderia May be strong at Monza also, but the same issue will pop up again next week. Red Bull May show up at Singapore and Mexico. Some intrigue, but Merc/Ham are pretty well lined up at this point.

ATBNM3, sampelligrino and Isobel like this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Max going out so abruptly and unceremoniously adjusted the actual racing drama, not to mention the results. Albon going from 17th to 5th gives some insight on what Max could have done today.

As it should be, the dominant storyline is the shocking and tragic death of Antoine Hubert. Just when the fan gets lulled into thinking racing is mostly safe, a forceful reminder is provided. Prayers sent for Hubert’s family, friends, teammates, and associates. The pictures of his Mom are almost too much for me to look at.

Both happy and sad for Charles. First win, but forever linked to unimaginable sadness. Only consolation will be that this win will be followed rapidly by dozens and dozens of others. The guy has incomparable talent and is just getting started.

Lastly, poor Norris. The dumbest of dumb luck.

ATBNM3, stavura, spotja and 4 others like this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I could not agree more. Vettel gives off a sad mix of resignation and forlornness. Elite athletes know long before anyone else that they can no longer bring it the way they once could.

ATBNM3 and bmwracer like this.
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Get used to this. You're going to hear it quite a lot in the future.

19. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    You guys must have already forgotten the German GP, or Canada, etc...

I think some are mistaking some blunders from Ferrari for being on Seb. He hasn't helped himself in some cases certainly, but given the pressure and what he's had to work with IMO he's doing as good of a job as any. Even today helping Charles win and letting him pass instantly as requested recognizing what would benefit the team. I don't think swapping Seb out for someone else, other than developmental reasons for the future, does the team any good for this moment.. the pace/package just doesn't seem consistently good, seems like the team is trying to plug holes each race and figure things out as they go. That aint helping Seb out, I'd probably be bummed too seeing Lewis on his way to a 6th championship and continued dominance

Looking towards the future is different and maybe Seb's runway is closing, but I sure hope Maranello can pull it together next year for Seb if he's still with us and maybe give him a proper send off into retirement

sure would be nice!

csmjr91090 likes this.
  20. vitajojo38

vitajojo38 Karting

Oct 17, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    Joël
    Hope this one will follow just alter

TheMayor likes this.
  21. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Huge Congrats to Charles amazing job. Awesome job by Hamilton and Bottas getting around Vettel. Vettel, its time to retire

ktu and william like this.
  22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yep. Max ****ed his own race as well as Kimi's. Blockhead.

Flea7, G. Pepper, ATBNM3 and 4 others like this.
  23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely agree. And the first words out of his mouth were "what was he doing?" Moron.

kes7u, F2003-GA, ATBNM3 and 3 others like this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Pure evidence they dont 'need' Vettel at all now. He has been over shadowed completely this year. He needs to leave before it becomes worse in reputation now for him. Albon seems immensley adaptable and smooth. Gain him or Bottas and move Vettel aside and get the future moving at Ferrari....................

Surfah, ATBNM3, william and 1 other person like this.
  25. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Max doing what he did best, crashing and blaming everyone else. He is “Vercrashen”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rmani, Flea7, F2003-GA and 2 others like this.