355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #51 johnk..., Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    For sure people have different ideas of well sorted. Yours is just nuts. ;)

(People take these cars way to seriously.)

steved033 and 97 Spider like this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its my stupid Navy time as a youth on helicopters we replaced everything all the time pre-failure it was called high time. Every component had a high time. I can't help myself. And I am probably WAY more conservative replacing stuff.

Geez I replaced my entire gauge face plate with idiot lights just to have clean electronics in the dash there was nothing wrong with the original one. My god I AM nuts...

So John, I'll have you know, I resemble that remark.:)

carnutdallas and Suffyk like this.
  3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    See my edit above. To each their own. As longs as it make you happy. :D

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Wife just ordered the new corvette, bye bye camaro

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If i had a helicopter or plane id take the same philosophy- on the ground im more relaxed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmym likes this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    When is delivery? Around here if you didn't preorder dealers are saying at least a years. Makes me wonder.

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Waiting list right now. She has a really nice full option camaro they want as a trade with low miles. If I order the 2020 duramax we get the first that come in of both. I rekon jan-march for both
    My current dmax is at their dealership with a rebar went through the motor that fell off a truck and grenaded the motor towing last week so working a full deal now

8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if I'm repeating what someone else said. In my opinion, finding not only a well taken care of 355 but any Ferrari (or any car really) is quite difficult. The 355 more so because it has a few known faults which are pricey to fix. When I bought my 355, the market was really hot and they were selling like hot cakes. I put a deposit on mine within an hour and the same day 4-5 other people called. Other potential buyers even called while it was getting a PPI done. Since they were getting so hard to find and I was worried they'd go up in price like the 550 and 360, I swooped it up but ended up putting around 30k into it for a major, valve guides, high flow cats, a Capristo and various other things. Obviously a Capristo wasn't a requirement but for me it was. Luckily it had Fabspeed headers already.

The vast majority of cars that I've seen for sale don't have most of what needs to be addressed taken care of. So when you start factoring that in and add it to the price of the car, it's usually not worth it.

carnutdallas likes this.
  9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That’s a ground up restoration, not “well sorted” come on...

Wsmatau, jimmym and 308 GTB like this.
  10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    You buy an F355 To achieve a dream and have a rewarding experience along with the other intangibles. You generally don’t do it to add income. There are a lot of easier ways to do that.

But it is way cheaper than a boat or airplane.

Worth the experience to me.

Robb

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sorry, what do you have exactly? one off unicorn which is what?

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It’s not about the money. It’s the love of the car / hobby.
    Every car on that chart needs another 20k at least to make it great.
    That’s ok. A fully sorted 355 now cost around 100k and is worth it !

Good luck finding one of these finished cars out there. I wouldn’t sell mine for less than 100k after having made it mechanically perfect.
    That’s what Robb is implying. These cars are SOOOOO good once the faults are corrected and that is why they aren’t for sale once the effort has been put into it.

They are the end of an era. Small, nimble, fast, gorgeous, and sound fantastic. There’s not another Ferrari that matches these attributes. I also have a Dino, 328, and a CS, so I understand what came before and after the 355. The 355 is special.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You can buy a lot of boat for $90k, like this 43 footer. And you can eat, drink, cook, sleep, travel and party 24/7 on a boat. Take it from a salty dog, a boat is a better buy that a 355.

Another advantage of a boat is that when your wife kicks you out you can go stay on the boat for a few days. Beats sleeping in a 355 in a garage for a week.

And the best part about a boat is you only need a friend who owns one. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cole_ve likes this.
  14. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    “When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.”
    – Dr. Samuel Johnson

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You bet. I enjoy working on it making it perfect as much as anything. That's why my my list of stuff is 2 pages long. it is my hobby. Others too I am sure!

Skippr1999, carnutdallas and Robb like this.
  16. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=85207&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=249166336

Link to one of my cars. 1999 Gated GTB. Ultra rare color, ultra rare interior, low miles. Factory Roll Bar In US Spec VIN. All sorted and accounted for with keys and luggage. Radio is crap, but original.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I hope you get that number!!

carnutdallas likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I see a few cracks in some rubber boots :p (see cam cover picture). Nonetheless, a beautiful car

19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #69 carnutdallas, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Man I see that ad and think, what am I doing . I have driven it about 300 glorious miles. The F1 car has been just as fun, not as special, but really great to drive. I drove a 458 Spyder last week and really did not like it. I thought I would, but dang if I did not prefer the 488. Sat in a 430 and painted the bumper on one and thought I puke do it, but nope....355 for me. 488 is just to much money. I kind of dig my Z06 Vette

20. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Dang! You are right. Just had it in. But drove it hard the day I dropped it off. That Should not matter, but will take it over and have Norwoods Italia check it out. We did new motor mounts, rack, some boots, detailed the engine, etc. They fully inspected it. That is annoying though. Thanks! Great eye. I have a number and would address that to the right buyer.

Qavion likes this.
  21. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There comes a point where the cost to replace every component is beyond the value of the vehicle. When the demand for these vehicles grows, then the justification can be made to replace even the smallest of items like the cracked electrical boots. From my own observations, there are very few people willing to spend the money and time to replace everything. When these people do, they do it because they see the longer term vision and enjoyment of the vehicle. They don't sell the vehicle right after making the car perfect.

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What really hard to find it seems it 355's other than red and black.

23. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    I think it’s more like red or yellow - currently.

24. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    60 Giallo F355 GTS (manual) worldwide in the registry and
    422 Rosso Corsa

Manuals worldwide in the registry:
    688 total GTS
    1444 total GTB
    1448 total Spider

https://ferrari355registry.com/

25. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    The registry does not reflect accurately how many 355s there are in the world.
    It was always a registry for anyone who would like to volunteer there cars details. It started on fchat years ago by rob, a great guy imo. However not all Ferrari owners use fchat nor feel the need to add to a registry.