FORMULA 1 JOHNNIE WALKER BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 12 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 JOHNNIE WALKER BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The pity is that right now Ferrari are not at top form. He should have 2 victories this year and that's with a car that we all know can't hold a candle to the Merc.

fil likes this.
  2. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Can't say I blame him. Now he knows how RB felt last year.

3. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    For those who bash Seb, I think today's win was really only possible due to him, the more I look at it.. Hamilton was gaining on him in .5 second chunks. If you take away that 4 seconds that Seb took, Hamilton would have won. Lets not give Leclerc all the credit.

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL!

Is that Orange KoolAid you are mixing with the Vodka?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flea7, ypsilon, fil and 5 others like this.
  5. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I don’t think it is the matter of people being hard on Max as much as Max deflecting the blame of the accident and not owning up to the fact that he was in the wrong , clearly in the wrong . The onus is always on the guy behind to pass safely and he has been racing long enough to know that there is no way Kimi can see him from where he was , not in a single seater . All Max had to do is say that he messed up and he is sorry , that would have been the end of it . But he is too entitled to apologize, huge character flaw

Flea7, Surfah, VPX and 2 others like this.
  6. #281 lorenzobandini, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Can't argue with you there....we shall see what we shall see. 'T'will (hopefully) be interesting. :)

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't bash Vettel today. He didn't have what Charles had all weekend. Its was clear that Hamilton was going to overtake him after the last pit stop.

Vettel did the right thing for the team but he really had no choice. If he didn't, Charles would have lost on the last lap and he would have to spend the next week walking to Monza. :)

fil, mcimino, daytona355 and 4 others like this.
  8. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    This is the first time ever I recall Seb obeying team orders to let a driver by, as I recall anyway . He knows his time is up

daytona355, Surfah, VPX and 2 others like this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You are a bit harsher than me but I really don't think he had much choice here. Clearly he could not fight with Leclerc. All he could do is slow him up. So instead he did the only thing he really could do and not be a complete goat and support the faster car.

Neither of them is going to win the WDC. Its just pride. If Vettel was faster Leclerc would have done the same for him.

I'm not sure how "heroic" it was vs "just being practical".

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Max was clearly 4 wheels inside the white line at La Source, so obviously off track limits.
    It's also not the first time he tries to pass at that point, and everytime with the same result !
    I don't know what he was expecting.

VPX and ATBNM3 like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I hope Binotto knows it too.

ATBNM3 and ingegnere like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I was expeting a Ferrari 1-2 today, in view of the car superiority on this track.
    Vettel finished 4th only.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Don't forget the Mercedes muffed pitstop, Hamilton lost the better part of a second.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He gets all the credit. He was faster all weekend. Vettel helped. Charles made the effort and won. Vettel has a poor record vs younger faster team mates lol :)

VPX, ATBNM3 and ingegnere like this.
  15. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    You are correct on all counts . I also believe the consequences of him not giving way would have been very severe , his star isn’t shining anymore . The furor of the tifosy had he not given way and they both lose the race to Lewis because of ego and stupidity is enough of a deterrent, never mind management and etc

ATBNM3 likes this.
  16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Ferraris car superiority??? Since Friday it was reported that Mercedes is much faster on the long runs... It was Leclerc with the help of Seb keeping the faster Mercedes on nediums behind him and not the Mercedes overtaking the faster Ferrari... You would know that if you would not like to talk up Lewis and his "achievements"....

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Right. He put himself in a position to win it (unlike Vettel), saved the tires better than Vettel and won, period. Even if by less than a second, he won.

How many races have the Mercs won where they left one guy out to block for the leading Merc driver. A win is a win. Leclerc didn't steel anything.

fil, Surfah, VPX and 3 others like this.
  18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    After Max took out mostly Ferrari in the past we thought that he might have something against the cars in red... now we see that actually Kimi is the target no matter what car he is sitting in :)
    Must be a relief for the guys in Maranello :rolleyes:

mcimino, stavura, daytona355 and 4 others like this.
  19. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    That’s very funny , lol lol

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That took the wind out of my sails, frankly. He was all alone in fifth for most of the race, having like a fun sightseeing drive. Nobody in sight ahead or behind, mostly.

And the car poops out on the last lap. It would have been his best finish. Such a bummer.

"Chuck Calrissian" is one of my sentimental favorites. :)

Bas likes this.
  21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    LOL, true.

But Kimi still in a red car, so your theory may need to consider that maybe Max targets anything red, like a bull! A RedBull.

spotja, DF1 and P.Singhof like this.
  22. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It cold have been worse. He could have done his last lap and the car craps out in sight of the finish line.

Terra, Nortonious and G. Pepper like this.
  23. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Excellent race. Max nearly ruined the race for me on lap 1, but the dramatic finish more than made up for my disappointment.

I truly feel Seb’s tenure at Ferrari is over. His vibe over the past few races, and Chuck’s recent dominance in qualifying, shows me that Seb has checked-out. I don’t know if Seb will retire, or swap with Kimi lol. But I do get a feeling from Seb that he’s on the out.

I believe Chuck can lead this team in 2020. The only question that remains is who can join us and lead the Scuderia to a WCC at the very least?

VPX, ATBNM3 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You forgot that Ferrari actively screwed him in most of the races this year.

csmjr91090, VPX and ATBNM3 like this.
  25. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    And don't say Mick Schumacher lol!