TV Coverage = Worst Ever. | FerrariChat

TV Coverage = Worst Ever.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Eilig, Sep 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Every shot the camera quickly zooms in too tight on a single car driving by, then quickly pans in order to keep up with the tight shot of that single car, then quickly zooms back out. They single out a car and zoom in on it so close that it fills the screen. So much that I can't even tell where they are on the track. It's like the camera men are on cocaine, totally insane to watch.

Apparently they think all this quick zooming in/out and quick panning of the cameras will make the coverage "more exciting" to watch on TV. It doesn't. It makes me motion sick.

It's beyond annoying, it is just impossible to even watch. For the first time in 20 years, I'm turning off the TV before the race ends. And Spa is my favorite track.

amerikalei likes this.
  2. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Then you turned off too soon!

(But yes, the camera work is ordinary)

3. I usually don't comment on coverage as I don't give a hoot about it as long as I can see what's going on, but, I hafta' agree on this one. The visual coverage today stunk. :oops:

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I thought it was fine.

william likes this.
  5. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Didn't care for the new % of someone doing something is currently at 4%

daytona355 likes this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Kudos to SkySport, ESPN and Mother's for their efforts for the second year in a row. It's much better than it was on NBCSN.

Just a note, they ALL use the F1 world feed for everything except the commentary.

Geez . . . . it's like some people just like to complain.

Jakuzzi, william and 375+ like this.
  7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Coming up in a couple of weeks is the Indy Car race at Long Beach, where they always insist on panning the camera past that silly fountain/statue over and over again. Why do they do that???

8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis

Ahem . . . . please check the IndyCar schedule.

9. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    +1

It was pretty bad, but better than quali at least.

10. Wassamattuh wit you? Doncha know LB is so popular it gets two events a year now??? :p :D

11. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I am still at the Portland GP and it was awesome! If you don’t like the TV coverage then try going to the event. Many great seats and just an amazing race course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flea7 and pilotoCS like this.
  12. #12 lorenzobandini, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Seats??? It's a road course for Pete's sake..... :eek:
    'Never been to Portland....they don't allow perambulation? o_O

13. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #13 dflett, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    F1TV allows to choose between different feeds. In particular, the pitlane channel has multiple feeds.

I usually spend my race mixing my own presentation from these feeds. That is one aspect of F1TV I love.

Regards
    David

Evolved likes this.
  14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Didnt bother me

william likes this.
  15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Quote from article: "So we looked at different ways to do that, a few little tricks. We've always been good at doing whip-pans to show the high speed of the cars, making them look a little bit more edgy in places."

Um, yeah, overly zoomed camera whip-pans don't make it more "edgy," they make it unenjoyable to watch. Just another example of the continued disintegration of F1.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I was there! Great fun....I enjoyed the trucks as well. They hauled ass!!!

...but getting back to the F1 tv coverage....I can't stand the commentary people for Sky sports...especially Brundle.

daytona355 likes this.
  17. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Something was wrong with the color, a red car finished in front of the silver cars, I think there must be some sort of error, the silver cars always are in front at the end ;)

18. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree with this thread. Towards the end they show the 3 lead cars with a shot from behind the cars as the go up Eau-Rouge. I love to see how each of the drivers handle their apexes. But suddenly, we're seeing the shot from the ground camera, which shows no finesse of the cars at all.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  19. petrol_junkie

petrol_junkie Karting

Jan 16, 2017
    Dublin
    It shows the actual speed of the cars taking Eau-Rouge rather then another boring on-board footage .

20. Oh. Is that it? :rolleyes:

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The low angle speed shots made from cameras in the kerbs were amazing from Spa. And, they are
    speed shots meant to relate the relative speed of the cars through one of the most demanding and
    famous section of race track in the world.

Commentary from SKY is first rate given we had to put up with the likes of Leigh Diffey & Co for so
    many years, anything is an upgrade and we are now hearing from former drivers one or two generations
    removed from competition, not seven or eight.

The other advantage of SKY is that the commentators are actually at the venues rather than sitting in a
    studio in Charlotte (or wherever) 10,000 miles away.

Everything regarding the current F1 broadcasts is pointing in the right direction and getting better.

BHW

Bas, dflett, pilotoCS and 1 other person like this.
  22. All well and good for you. I don't need "amazing" "low angle speed shots made from cameras in the kerbs".
    I need not be "impressed" by bs. I enjoy the sport, not "amazing" production.

I'll take knowledgeable commentary by Matchett and Hobbs, from wherever, over anybody else I've ever seen, any day of the week. (As much as I loved Brundle driving the TWR Jags...you can shove his "amazing" crapwalk where the sun doesn't shine :eek:)

To each his own, no? ;)

23. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    For those that have F1TV the debrief show today has Rob Smedley demonstrating the race strategy simulation package that the teams use. Apparently this show is exclusive to F1TVPro but maybe it is also on Sky.

I thought the software was interesting. This is what the teams use to decide when to pull drivers in etc. In particular it shows Vettel running fastest before the undercut at which point he was the predicted winner in front of Charles and Lewis. This all changed with the tire deg but his middle stint which quickly had him finishing 4th in the simulation.

Anyway, if you have F1TV check it out.

Regards
    David

24. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Ellig, I completely agree. This has been a beef with me for decades. It used to seem that the Japan GP cameras would do this, but it seemed to improve once Bernie created an F1 feed. In my opinion, the context of the track relative to the cars is important, and enables the viewer to gauge the different car/driver combinations approach to the track, going back to the earliest TV race I recall, the Monaco race where Rindt caught Brabham on the last lap. After that I was fairly well hooked. The pan-zoom is ok for stills I guess, but it's just garbage on TV. I also think this bothers me more with TV since you don't have the direct feel for the car based on its sounds that you get at a track. I recently attended the Mid-Ohio IndyCar race after a long hiatus from in-person attendance and forgot how much listening to a driver's right foot can tell you as they take on corner complexes. Regardless of how good the TV coverage the intensity of that is mainly lost to TV.