430 - New F430 Owner! Need Help! | FerrariChat

430 New F430 Owner! Need Help!

Discussion in '360/430' started by DOWORKFCAR, Aug 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Hello everyone!

I have been a long time FChat member. I owned a stunning 1997 Ferrari 550. But it was time to make a change...so here is my 2006 Ferrari F430! I fell in love with the spec. Well within the first 100 miles, I bought full Capristo headers, blankets and mufflers. My 550 had a full Capristo exhaust...

My question is that I’m looking for O2 spacers with mini cats...I want to avoid a CEL as much as I can with the Capristo headers. I will be keeping my stock cats initially to reduce the error.

Any advice is appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rush109, rennspeed and Robb like this.
  2. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Welcome to the Blu club!!!! Awesome spec , love the color, TDF?? I don’t have the answer to your question, but I’m sure you’ll get an answer soon from one of our expert Fchatters. But, your car looks really beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  3. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016

Yes TDF blue over dark blue/tan leather with deviated blue stitching. I fell in love when I first saw it. Thank you

Tamahal likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine runs around on Capristo manifolds with no problems and i dont have these extenders.
    As long as you start it up and keep your feet off the fuel- just let it tick over to get the probes hot, it is not an issue.
    With the Capristo not having pre cats fitted any unburnt fuel slugs can deposit on a cold sensor at the cats and hence the check light.
    I had 1 check light last year.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Gorgeous car. Please post many photos of your drives.

I’ll enjoy reading the posts about solutions in this thread.

Robb

DOWORKFCAR and Tamahal like this.
  6. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    cpep likes this.
  7. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I agree. Try the big daddies they have worked for me so far.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  8. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    I currently have a 360 and always wanted a 12 cylinder F car, how did you like your 550? I’m considering at 512 TR or 550, any experience advice is greatly appreciated

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  9. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have the Fabspeed ones and they work (and look) great!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have cap heads and cap hiflow cars on an 06 and no CEL errors

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You should be OK on an 06, at least we are here in England. The post-cat efficiency warning threshold was tightened up in 07 with some other engine management changes.

My 06 was fine but my 08 throws a CEL that required a remap to stop.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  12. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
    Thank you for this information! I will be purchasing the Bid Daddies tonight!

13. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
    I've thought about creating a thread post on my comparison. Long story short, the 430 excites me more. The motor is much more lively. Secondly, the mid engine chassis is stunning to drive. I feel much more connected to the road vs. the 550. That said, the 550 had such a powerful smooth motor. Torque in every gear, a highway missile. The gated gearbox was a delight but better for smooth back road cruising. A true GT car. The 430 is much more of a "sports car." Main reason for the switch, my 550 had 47k miles on it and was starting to add up in maintenance, it is a 23 year old car...so it was time for me. I drive my cars.

14. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016

Did you purchase the "Straight CEL Fix" extender as well as the Mini CAT or did you buy the "Angled CEL Fix" extender?

Thanks!

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Why not try fitting the exhaust without these extenders and see how it goes- u can always retrofit them if u have a problem.

16. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I bought just the Big Daddies Mini Cats but ended up also sourcing the shortest 90 degree extender I could find on eBay to make it fit. Also had to turn one Cat to make it fit and used spark plug heat protectors over top as the O2 wires are now pretty close to the muffler and I didn’t want heat to cause any melting.

For some reason I can’t attach a pic...not sure why used to be able to

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have the Fabspeed mini cats, no codes for several years.

18. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    ^same. I had the Capristo headers put in about 2 years ago. They threw CEL within a week. Got the Fabspeed O2 extenders and the car's been running smooth with no CEL the past 2 years.

19. oc23

oc23 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rob Yo
    So this seems to be the most applicable thread I can find that touches upon my question... I'm looking at a F430 that has capistro headers and a fabspeed catalytic converters, and from service records it seems to keep throwing CELs and o2 faults. Does anyone have this setup or have they heard of it? And aside from the CEL issue, anyone know the benefits/drawbacks of this type of setup?

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    capristo headers huge plus - you need minitcats or better wld be a new tune from @360trev to deal with the cel from the aftermarket headers/cats

21. oc23

oc23 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rob Yo
    Thanks for the quick reply, good to know that. Do you happen to know what the fabspeed catalytic converters do? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie with this stuff.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    They facilitate better airflow and Make the car louder.

oc23 likes this.
  23. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Second the trev tune. It will make things better overall.

oc23 likes this.
  24. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Sounds like it is most likely related to the exhaust change. However make sure you check the actual codes and O2 sensor data to make sure you are not dealing with bad sensor(s), an upstream sensor code (which would be more cause for concern), or another issue like bad cat or exhaust leak before assuming it’s just because the exhaust was changed. Can you post the codes?

25. oc23

oc23 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rob Yo
    Happy to, but it is quite long. I went back and pulled what I could from the service records until the Fabspeed Catalytic Converters were installed. Not sure everything relates and I left out some stuff that seems to have not related to the o2 sensors too. There's 80 pages of service records and this car has about 40k miles on it, so there's a lot of info. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. But here is what I found:

April 2023: O2 sensor fault due to after market exhaust - erroneous oxygen sensor fault

June 2022: WIRING HARNESS 1.00 LIGHT NOT ON AT THIS TIME. SCAN VEHICLE IN, FOUND LEFT SIDE REAR O2 SENSOR HEATING FAULT. O2 SENSOR WORKING CORRECTLY AT THIS TIME. DETERMINE THAT VEHICLE HAS INTERMITTENT HIGH RESISTANCE IN WIRING HARNESS TO ENGINE CAUSING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO COME ON. NO FURTHER WORK AT THIS TIME. P0056 HO2S HEATER CONTROL (BANK 2 SENSOR 2) CIRCUIT (SIG) (NO SIGNAL) FURTHER DIAGNOSIS WILL BE REQUIRED TO DETERMINE CAUSE OF FAILURE

April 2022: P0056 HO2S HEATER CONTROL (BANK 2 SENSOR 2) CIRCUIT (SIG) (NO SIGNAL) VEHICLE TO RETURN AT A LATER TIME TO ADDRESS CONCERN

Dec 2021: RETRIEVED FAULT CODES FOR LEFT DOWNSTREAM O2 SENSOR VOLTAGE. CAR IS ALREADY EQUIPPED WITH A NEW O2 SENSOR, O2 SENSOR DEFOULER/SPACER AND O2 SENSOR SIGNAL EMULATORS. WORKING TO FIND ALTERNATE WAY TO CORRECT FAILURE. WILL ADVISE CUSTOMER. VEHICLE TURNED TO CUSTOMER FOR THE TIME BEING

June 2021: check with sd3 found errors P0036, P0138, P0139 all O2 sensor related, perform pin out test on harness check all connections and grounds in harness. replace O2 sensor test drive

Jan 2021: O2 sensor failure. Retrieved several fault codes for Bank 1, downstream O2 sensor. High voltage, slow response and heater circuit issues. Supplying estimate on O2 sensor replacement. after further diagnosis failure code reset but returned. physically checked O2 sensor and found secured. advised customer possible issue why vehicle keeps setting engine light for O2 sensor is due to combination of aftermarket exhaust manifolds from capristo and catalytic converters from fabspeed

Aug 2020: AFTER MARKET O2 SENSOR STAND OFF LOOSE 1.00 DIAG CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. FOUND BANK 1 REAR O2 SENSOR FAULTS. TRACED TO LOOSE BANK 1 REAR 02 SENSOR STAND OFF. TIGHTENED O2 SENSOR STAND OFF. CLEARED FAULTS. ROAD TEST. FAULTS DID NOT RETURN.

May 2019: CATALYTIC CONVERTER 4.00 VERIFY CUSTOMER CONCERN, FOUND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. SCAN VEHICLE IN, FOUND ON RIGHT SIDE P0420 CATALYTIC CONVERTER EFFICIENCY FAULT. FOUND LOOSE COUNTER NUT ON O2 SENSOR 90 DEGREE SPACER (FABSPEED). CONTACT FABSPEED, THEY HAVE NOT HAD THIS ISSUE BEFORE. TIGHTEN COUNTER NUT AND USE SAFETY WIRE SO IT DOES NOT COME LOOSE. ON PREVIOUS VISIT, SWAPPED MOTRONIC ECU SIDE TO SIDE. INSPECT ENGINE WIRING HARNESS AT ECU CONNECTION. FEMALE ENDS IN GOOD CONDITION. CHECK BACK SIDE OF CONNECTOR AND CHECK FOR FRAYED OR CHAFED WIRES, NONE FOUND. PERFORM PIN TO PIN TEST FOR CONTINUITY FROM PIN 2 ON O2 SENSOR TO PIN 63 ON ENGINE ECU, PIN 3 O2 SENSOR TO PIN 68 ENGINE ECU AND PIN 4 ON O2 SENSOR TO PIN 69 ON ENGINE ECU. CONTINUITY GOOD. DROVE CAR FOR 100 MILES BEFORE ERROR RETURNED. INSTALL NEW REAR O2 SENSORS AND NEW O2 SENSOR SPACER FROM FABSPEED. TEST DRIVE VEHICLE FOR 40 MILES. P0420 CODES STORED. PERFORM CARBURATION TEST, PASSED. VALUES FROM RIGHT SIDE OF MOTOR TO LEFT THE SAME, WITHIN SPEC. PERFORM ANOTHER
    VACUUM LEAK CHECK ON INTAKE MANIFOLD AND VACUUM LINES, NO VACUUM LEAKS FOUND. FABSPEED TO SEND TWO NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTERS. INSTALL NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTERS. CLEAR FAULTS AND TEST DRIVE VEHICLE. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NOT ON.

April 2019: VERIFY CUSTOMER CONCERN, FOUND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. SCAN VEHICLE IN, FOUND P0420 CATALYTIC CONVERTER EFFICIENCY FAULT. FOUND LOOSE COUNTER NUT ON O2 SENSOR 90 DEGREE SPACER (FABSPEED). THIS IS THE 2ND TIME IT HAS COME LOOOSE. CONTACT FABSPEED, THEY HAVE NOT HAD THIS ISSUE BEFORE AND OFFERED NOT SOLUTIONS. TIGHTEN COUNTER NUT AND USE SAFETY WIRE SO IT DOES NOT COME LOOSE. ON PREVIOUS VISIT, SWAPPED REAR O2 SENSORS TO SEE IF FAULT FOLLOWS O2 SENSOR, IT DID NOT. SWAPPED MOTRONIC ECU SIDE TO SIDE AND DROVE CAR FOR 100 MILES BEFORE ERROR RETURNED. SWAPPED WIRING OF REAR O2 SENSORS SIDE TO SIDE FOR A TEST, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IMMEDIATELY CAME ON FOR VARIOUS CODES NOT RELATED TO CAT EFFICIENCY, TEST WILL NOT WORK. RECONNECT TO CORRECT SIDES. CHECK WIRING AT CONNECTOR F OF MOTRONIC, TAKE CONNECTOR APART AND MAKE SURE FEMALE ENDS PASS DRAG TEST, OK. INSPECT INTEGRITY OF CRIMPS ON PIN 63, 68 AND 69 (O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT), GOOD. CHECK MAIN GROUND WIRE FOR RIGHT SIDE ENGINE HARNESS, LOOSEN, CLEAN AND TIGHTEN, FOUND TO BE GOOD. POSSIBLE BAD CATALYTIC CONVERTER IS ISSUE OR WIRING HARNESS HAS BAD OR CORRODED CONNECTION ALONG ITS PATH FROM MOTRONIC TO O2 SENSOR RIGHT BANK REAR.

March 2019: RIGHT HAND CAT EFFICIENCY FAULT P0420 VERIFY CUSTOMER CONCERN, FOUND RH CAT EFFICIENCY FAULT. SWAP REAR O2 SENSORS SIDE TO SIDE TO SEE IF FAULT FOLLOWS PART. CLEAR ERROR AND TEST DRIVE. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NO LONGER ON. NOTE IF VEHICLE RETURNS AND FAULT FOLLOWS O2 SENSOR, THEN VEHICLE WILL NEED O2 SENSORS. NO CHARGE