Unsolvable problem on only one cylinder with Pertronix module | FerrariChat

Unsolvable problem on only one cylinder with Pertronix module

Discussion in '206/246' started by chritin, Sep 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Hello to all,

I’ve an unsolvable problem with a model 9MR-161A on my Dino 246. It works well on 5 cylinders, but I've a lot of misfire on cylinder 1, and only on cylinder 1 on my engine. The exhaust pipe stay cold on this cylinder.

I think everything has been checked, here ist he list:

- Mounting of the Ignitor ans magnet sleeve strickly confom to installation guide

- Impedance between ignitor plate and (-) battery measured lower then 0.2 ohm as Pertonix said to verify.

- Voltage on (+) ignitor measured higher than 14.2 Volts, so it’s OK

- Coil primary résistance 3 ohm and no ballast resistor (A second coil has been tested, same problem)

- Ignition timing perfectly ajusted in static and dynamic with my strobe light

- Compression on cylinder 1 verified and ok

- Spark plug on cylinder one OK (Exchange with new spark but same problem)

- Cable between disttributor head and spark tested (Exchange with new cable, same problem)

- Igniter head new, and impedance on output for cylinder one tested and ok

More than that, my distributor has been tested on a other Dino and works perfectly well. So the Ignitor module is OK. And this other Dino has exactly the same configuration with a Pertronix too, and works very well .

I become crazy with this problem ... ! I can’t explain why it happens only on one cylinder compared to everything that was controlled.

Any idea of anything else to test more than on the list above ? Or any experience with a similar problem ?

Thanks

Régis

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    1) Have you tried running the motor with the ignition lead disconnected from the spark plug and checking if it is sparking? 2) Is fuel filling the cylinder? 3) What about the carburetor throat? Each cylinder has one throat. Clogged jet?

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Try cleaning out the idle jet as 4camgt suggests, clean out circuit with comp. air then try the air mixture screw. Start 2 turns out then slowly wind in / or out to see when the cylinder comes back. You will hear a distinct shift in revs when it does. If you wind in the MS all the way in so it bottoms out and still get no response out then -
    Operate the throttle opening and see if fuel squirts from the pump jet inside the venturi
    Also make sure air by pass screw is about 1/4 turn open to closed. To far open and this will drastically weaken the fuel mix. If you fiddle with these then its best to check all the air flows through each barrel as well so you don't upset the balance.
    Tony

4. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Start with 4camgt's suggestion on checking for spark. The units aren't always good. I ran one for many years in a different car with great success - but tried to put one on my Dino and gave up - I have a Luminition unit now...

5. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Thanks for your answers. In fact the fuel arrives, the spark plug is wet but I saw with an external spark plug that there is no one spark per turn, and at very low revs no spark at all. As if the ignitor wouldn't trigger on each turn. I need to invastigate because the same distributor installed on an other car works perfectly well and the coil voltage is 14,2 V on the two cars. Very strange ...

6. Fred Winterburn

Fred Winterburn Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Perhaps move the magnet ring and see if the problem moves to another cylinder. Fred

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    to much fuel - you say in your opening post that the spark plug is OK ! Now you say it is wet fouled?

Seems like you have investigated most if not all ignition causes so before you dismiss the carb, check the accelerator pump jet is not operating at idle

check and verify that the air flows to each barrel are exactly the same, to much airflow through cylinder 1 can indicate the throttle plate is too far open, allowing excess fuel to spill through the progression port /s

Check mixture settings

Check float levels and shut off valve work OK, if it doesn't fuel can spill over

Was it working OK then the fault suddenly appeared or have you changed anything?

Tony

8. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Yes I said the spark plug is ok because with another and new one the problem is the same. It's not due to a faulty spark plug.
    Moving the magnet sleeve is a good idea Fred

9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    No fuel... it’s likely air isn’t being sucked through the carb, check for leaks in the hoses around the booster vacuum hose which connects to the into cylinder 1 under the carb in the inlet manifold. Only cylinder 1 can suffer this.
    Tighten all the clamps back to the booster, a loose clamp will cause this condition where air bypasses the carb.

Quick test, pull the vacuum hose off and block the hole to see if it runs properly.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #10 synchro, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Pertronix must be impedance matched or risk failure, it is on their website (althougvh you did mention yours had met the minimum 3 Ohms req).

Why not add an MSD box to that?
    The Pertronix MR-11211 ignitor is rated for use by MSD 6421 as a standard input. i.e don't use the Pertronix as an ignitor but as a trigger to the MSD which easily fits inside a Marelli AEC-103 box. This allows modern function and OEM look - alike.... plus you don't have funky coil impedance to match which risks pertronix failure.

Wiring diagram:

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/256548/22/msd-6421-6al-2-ignition-control-installation-page22.png

11. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Thanks for your answers, now I think the ignition is not the problem. I tried it manually outside of the car on a battery and have a nice spark on all the 6 spark plug. I will investigate on the carburettor and the idle jet soon ...

12. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Problem solved ! The idle jet was loosened on the carburetor for the cylindre not working normally, nothing more. The effect is very suprising !

dgt, cls and TonyL like this.
  13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I’m really happy to hear you solved it! It must make you feel great that you found the problem and it was so small! Nothing worse than chasing an intermittent gremlin! I put my original DCNF’s back on my car and I really made sure everything was tight and took special attention to all the vacuum lines. It’s never ran so well! These cars vibrate and it’s always a good idea to check tightness, rubber cracks etc. Even perfectly restored examples can break down because of a parts failure!