Car wash activation 812 | FerrariChat

Car wash activation 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by marky1, Sep 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When I turn the car off in neutral after a few seconds P comes up. However I also see a message saying “car wash activation”. What am I doing wrong? How do I turn this off? Manual only says how to activate it, not deactivate.

Also do you guys turn your engines off in gear or N for parking?

I’m also a little confused by all the different parking brake options. EPB, Autopark, Park lock etc. Is there an easy explanation? Does the P mean the electric parking break is on or does something else show that?

2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Never used the Car Wash function, sorry can't help. May need a reset or dealer intervention?

Explanation of the parking modes are on (P. 61 in the .pdf) of the manual.

EPB - Electric parking brake 

On this vehicle the parking brake is actuated by an electric motor. 
The parking brake can be applied and released by pulling a special lever B on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. When the instrument panel has been activated (KEY-ON), the relative warning light comes on on the instrument panel to indicate that the parking brake is engaged 

To release the parking brake, pull lever B and keep the brake pedal pressed. If the instrument panel is activated, the warning light goes out when the parking brake has been fully released. 

The electric parking brake can be used as an emergency brake when the vehicle is in motion. If this is the case, the system acts on all four wheels until button B is released by communicating with the ESP system which prevents locking. 
Always apply the parking brake when the vehicle is parked. The vehicle should be blocked. If this is not the case, please contact the Ferrari Service Network. 

Autopark function
    The EPB Autopark function automatically activates the electric parking brake when the engine is switched off. This means that the driver does not have to apply the parking brake every time the engine stops.

However, the function can be temporarily deactivated before switching off the engine by pressing the AUTO PARK button C: the message “PARK OFF” is displayed on the left TFT display for 5 seconds. In this case, after the engine is switched off, the parking brake must be engaged manually by pulling the lever B. To re-enable automatic EPB engagement at the next key-off, press the button C again; the message “PARK ON” is displayed on the left TFT display for 5 seconds.

“Automatic Vehicle Holding” AVH function

The electric parking brake provides optimised release when the vehicle starts up due to its Automatic Vehicle Holding function: once the engine has started, the system keeps the vehicle braked through intervention of the braking system rather than through the parking brake shoes.

(P.132) Park Lock

The Park Lock is a locking device built into the gearbox. This device is used to prevent the vehicle from moving when the multi-disc clutches are open, i.e., with the engine off and/or without the hydraulic pressure required for gearbox operating.

The device operates automatically every time the key is turned to off:
    if a gear is engaged when the key is turned to off, the Park Lock is immediately activated. If the gearbox is in “N” (neutral), the Park Lock starts operating after a minimum preset time (needed for the Carwash procedure, see next paragraph). To inform the driver that the Park Lock has been engaged, the letter “P” is displayed on the gearbox display.

The Park Lock is deactivated when the engine is running, the first gear or “R” is requested (with the brake pedal pressed) and the engine compartment lid has been closed correctly.

Carwash procedure

The Park lock device can be electrically disabled on a temporary basis when the engine is switched off by performing the Carwash procedure.

This procedure is necessary when the vehicle has to be moved with the engine off and when washing the vehicle.

When the Park Lock device is electronically deactivated (Carwash procedure), the vehicle may move. The vehicle is only kept stationary by the parking brake which must be applied.

To perform the Carwash procedure, do the following:

● with the engine running, select the first gear;
    ● select neutral “N”;
    ● switch off the engine (ENGINE STOP);
    ● activate the instrument panel (KEY-ON) within 3 seconds of
    switching off the engine.
    The message “Carwash mode activation” will appear on the left TFT display.

Caeruleus11 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  3. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for that Eric. I did RTFI but still didn’t really understand it all. Just wondered what’s the modern equivalent of putting the hand brake on and how much of the above **** I have to actually do.

4. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I guess easy solution is leave it in auto park and turn off in first gear.

plastique999 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    yep, exactly what I do ;)

marky1 likes this.
  6. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I always turn it off in N and never had an issue. Car doesn’t move and I’ve been doing it for years starting with my F12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Do you get the car wash activation message Jerry?

8. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    All the time, and I just ignore it. My car garage is leveled so all the F cars I’ve had I would first put into N before turning them off. I think originally someone at the dealer told me it’s better for the transmission to leave it in N while it’s sitting so I’ve just followed that rule and never had an issue with any F cars.

9. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah that's what I always did too Jerry. I wonder now though that it may not make a difference as the gearbox (or something like that I'm not technical at all!) has some kind of a lock on it too, hence the big P when you turn engine off.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    For whatever its worth, ever since they went to the DCT, I was told if I am parking the car, turn it off in 1st gear. The whole N thing is a myth that comes from the days of the single clutch F1 system. In many years, I have never had any issue with the EPB, but, when I put a car with this electronic system on a lift, I use a wheel chock because I do worry what happens if the computer has some kind of hiccup and decides to let go of the EPB...

plastique999 and marky1 like this.
  11. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That’s a good point. I’ll try leaving it in 1st and see how it goes. Gives me a reason to get into the car and play with it, lol.

Caeruleus11 likes this.