Rear hub shaft removal | FerrariChat

Rear hub shaft removal

Discussion in '206/246' started by russh, Sep 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi, I currently do not have a shop/hydraulic press, and I am trying to determine if I can use a 10 ton hydraulic bench top press to remove the rear hub shaft from the pressed in bearings. I have very limited garage space to work in (one car garage) and was hoping that a 10 ton press would be sufficient to remove the shaft. I have no idea how much force it will take to remove it Image Unavailable, Please Login . Thank you. Russ

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I removed mine with a 10 ton press, I recall they came apart OK once moving. It might take more, take it to a good shop if concerned you’re at the limit of the press.

The only part on a Dino I couldn’t do with a 10t press was the front steering control arms into the spindle, needed 50t.

3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    They normally come out quite easily once moving, would suggest spraying some release agent around the bearing/hub before you start

4. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi Andrew, thank you very much for that advice. I will search for a 10 ton bench press. I'll save the front steering control arms into the spindle for someone else to do.

I will try using a release agent prior to attempting to press out the shaft. Thank you.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Russ

where are you in NoCal?

6. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Mitchell, I am located in the Walnut Creek/Concord area.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Try it with your bench top press but I don't think that will do it. If it does not, bring it to my place and I can do it for you, or I can put you in touch with someone on the East Bay with a larger press.

8. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Thank you, I really aprreicate it. I will definitely get in touch with you if I am unsuccessful in pressing it out.