Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 103 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Adamas and Mbutner like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Dealer can lower the suspension by 1”.

TSOYBELIS likes this.
  3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #2553 MalibuGuy, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    I do like many things about the F8. I appreciate the styling and i know it will be significantly faster than my 458 spider

For now I have no plans to sell the 458. So the purchase will be an addition and not substitution.

I also realize that as one reviewer put it, this is the new reality. The car will be much quieter. Compared to my friends Tesla, it will sound sporty.

I’m hoping that in the future Ferrari will adopt an electrical driven turbo which will open up the exhaust and restore some of the music which has been lost.

But I’ve grudgingly accepted the fact that the F8 won’t sound the way I want.

Dicecal likes this.
  4. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    f8 is such a good price imo

base spec f8 is £200k cheaper than a spec'd aftermarket pista

it's a no brainer

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2555 Shadowfax, Sep 4, 2019
    Will confirm and come back soon but it seems by what he was saying it must - either that or there is a dummy GPF which still necessitates the pressure sensor post turbo. Eitherway it doesn't sound as loud or good as 488 or Pista, that's pretty clear, but inside it's ok with all the new piped in sound. Outside it's lamer for sure.

Yes the new cars inc F8 will be compared to Tesla from now on until all the sound is gone and just the whine of an electric motor remains to keep you company. Sad days ahead with only the piped in sound to fool you into thinking it sounds the same on the outside when in reality it sounds like a lame ***** cat with a sexy body (well kinda depending upon who you're talking to) and an F car badge on the hood.

MANDALAY likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Even with a front lift system?

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Front lift has nothing to do with the lowering. 1" lower with or without lift. It will make the lift more important since the car will sit 1" lower.

8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Is there a technical problem with electric turbos? It does seem like a perfect solution to a non technical guy like me. I guess it would require a better alternator...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #2559 REALZEUS, Sep 4, 2019
    So what matters the most? How it sounds inside, when you drive it, or how it sounds to bystanders? There are new sound limits, so it is expected to be a bit quieter from the outside, but what really matters is what you hear inside, right? Unless one has some unresolved ostentation issues...

BTW I like the sound at 6:35. Not as good as a N/A V8, let alone a V12, but nice for a turbocharged engine:

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    All the reviews of the F8 are glowing. Nice to see.

elmadi, Thecadster, MANDALAY and 3 others like this.
  11. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Novitec and their likes will get a lot of requests in future.

elmadi likes this.
  12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Are glowing?! Actually they dont praise the car that much, I remember seeing 458/speciale reviews were people were sooooo happy to drive them and this one is like, Oh its fast and that's it.
    But all good its not Ferrari's fault, its just how they can make cars nowadays. It will only get worse...

Mbutner and sampelligrino like this.
  13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the pista had quite a bit of criticism too really, "undrivable with the electronics off" etc

it's interesting to see the hatered the general public have towards the 488 vs the 458, most of the top comments on the youtube reviews are people saying "i'd rather have a 458 than the f8"

no one was saying similiar things from the 360 to 430 or 430 to 458

though I personally think the f8 is more desirable than the pista as a general road car and value for money

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In Europe what the actual market is saying is:
    a new F8 is the same price as a medium mileage Speciale (you need a virtually new Speciale to exceed the price of a new F8)
    a 458 Italia can be had for half that price
    a used 488 is from 20% to 30% less than a new F8
    a Pista could be up to 60% more than a F8 - although here it's difficult to have a notion of actual (not asked) prices.

Apart from the new situation of having the mix of the 488 , Pista and F8, the market is actually aligned with previous situations of some people claiming to prefer the VS of the previous generation to the current regular model: the real debate is now between Speciale and F8, like it was before between CS and F430, and later between Scuderia and 458 (I remember that very well because my own opinion of the new model being each time significantly superior was always passionately challenged by others).
    The unusual 488/Pista/F8 story leaves us, for the time being, with an undervalued 488 (which people should acknowledge as a bargain) and an overvalued Pista but we don't have much past reference to judge what will happen later to these.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I’m no expert on the subject but I’ve heard to make electric turbos a reality means a beefier heavier alternator, an electrical motor, and bigger and heavier battery. The system
    Would add weight and parasitic loss, so there is a penalty.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I remember when the 430 came out and people did say they would rather have a 360- the new car was not as good looking, not as direct driving... And it goes on every time. In time you will see they have done their homework and the special model will have things about it that keep it valued by those who understand it. And it does seem they addressed the shortcomings of the 488 with the F8. It looks like it will be a very successful model. You really can't compare eras, we are in a new era where sound will be reduced. Its a real loss and a shame, but it is where we are.

G. Pepper, Solid State, LMH and 4 others like this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Every new Ferrari has "glowing" reviews.

The real question is what does the new F8 bring to the table over the 488. Certainly it brings style. This is the best looking version since the 458 intro, which was quite shocking after the F430 ended production.

I still think the Scud and 16m are really attractive cars. Its hard to continuously play "can you top this"

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If the F8 sounds better inside the car versus outside, why do we really care? (Not saying I don't care, just want to get others thoughts)

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I care how the I perceive the sound when I am inside the car. Have no interest what those on the street think.

Avia11, Lesia44 and Ash Patel like this.
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I suggest you reread or listen to those reviews again. The praise extended well beyond the obvious speed.

MANDALAY likes this.
  21. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Here is the F8 at Fiorano. You can judge for yourself about the engine music and level of aural excitement

Compare it with the 458 at Fiorano

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Because tunnels. Other than that, there isn’t much of an argument unless you buy these things solely for attention.

With that being said, there is something about the mystique of Ferrari that is attributed directly to the noise it makes from the outside. I wouldn’t have fallen in love with Ferrari as a child if they didn’t make such cool sounds whenever I saw them on the road. If the cars back then sounded like the vacuum cleaners they’re producing today, I probably wouldn’t frequent this forum the way I do today. The loss of sound is detrimental to the “soul” and there is no way around this fact. We should just be thankful that they are working on ways to improve the experience from inside the cockpit, even if lawmakers continue to ruin the fun from the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Here is a short clip of the 360 CS
    I owned a regular 360 but with the CS exhaust so I got 9/10 of the sound. I had that car 7 years and logged about 70,000 miles. Still love the sound of that 5 valve machine

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I can't remember if I posted these last week, I got to see the demo here in LV.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I love the looks, the nose is much better than the base 488 and the rear view is a lot more dynamic.
    The outlet takes up a lot of the frunk space compared to the 458, I've never looked in 488 one. Interior is mildly updated but feels similar to 488 and familiar to 458. The demo is totally loaded with CF and had the whole CF interior in matte which was very sharp. Also the whole engine bay.

I liked the steering wheel better in person it is almost reminiscent of a thinner 930 wheel, although I still love the thick 458 wheel.

My favorite Ferrari of all time is the 288, and this is probably as close to a modern 288 as I will see in my lifetime, so I would like to order one and spec it as a dream car to keep forever. But the tough mental hurdle is the additional cost over the 458 and depreciation. I go back and forth between the urge to retire as soon as possible so I should save save save and then buying the cars I want which pushes that back indefinitely.

FWIW they didn't say that the order books were closing any time soon. I'll see how things play out over the next two years.

Avia11, stavura, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  25. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    part of the allure for me is the sound, especially for a Ferrari

Doesn't need to be the high pitched F1 style sound, but there has to be some sort of emotive sound that makes me turn my neck when an Fcar drives by or driving the car itself. It stands out from everything else on the road, same for a Lamborghini from just hearing/seeing them drive by. I really enjoy the 488 sound, especially at low revs which is most of my driving around town with the deep baritone rolling thunder sound inside and out. Makes me happy that the 458 came before the 488 did, as the 458 likely set such a high benchmark that Ferrari really was focused on tuning the best sound they could for the 488 as different as the sounds are

That's why I'm curious to see if there is any discernible difference in sound between F8 vs 488, or if they've done more tuning to reach the same result. Will be hard to tell from a video is my guess. Thinking for the future if all new Ferraris are going to have GPF fitted moving forward. Interesting to hear about the development of the hot tube solution to combat PF exhaust sound dampening