My thoughts after 200 miles in my used but new to me FF;) | FerrariChat

My thoughts after 200 miles in my used but new to me FF;)

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#1 Natkingcolebasket69, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Dear All,

After lurking for a FF for a long time i finally bought last month a 2012 FF with 35k miles from Envy in Detroit.
    Initially i wasnt interested at all in a higher mileage car but as i was able to get all the history from the car from new, loved the specs and secured a warranty on it , it started to make sense as a complement to a vintage ferrari.,, As i am also looking for a 94 Tr and this one coming with a warranty i was confident it made sense.

Here are some pictures of the cars and my first impressions on it. Of course those are my impressiosn so any one can disagree. Thanks to many of u for ur help on this forum !

First mods were novitec springs, black rims, yellow calipers, capristo x pipe, remote, 4 new tires mixjelin super sport,rear brakes and voila.

1-It is and isnt a REAL ferrari

Now at this point i should explain what a real ferrari is to me: it's a 2 seater, its red, its pre enzo's death , manual and the engine isnt the back. With that definition one may say i dont consider any of the new ferraris to be real ferraris and thats sort of correct. I feel like the FF with its controversial purpose and design is even more of an outcast but thats my opinion... UNTIL u seat in it; it smells wonderful, the leather is rich, the sound is amazing and like chris harris said it has a real sense of occasion every time u drive it. It feels special, the sense of racing heritage is there and it is very very easy to tell it can get u in trouble and has a split personality. Amazing machine

2-It handles and corners better than you think
    I currently am back and forth with California (norcal) and Miami. I took delivery of the car in california and immediately took it to twisties we have. Man it is sharp, glued to the road and once u push it, it comes alive.

3- Comfort VS Sport Mode
    Though i did notice a difference, its not that big, but maybe it is me?

4-The gearbox feels jerky

Let me explain: the car shift beautifully and is performing as it should. No issues there. What i believe im experiencing is all the computer learning that adjusts to your driving and shifting points. It feels that at times, specially in auto, the car struggles to understand what you want to do, specially if you just hit the gas a few times real hard and want to cool off after. hence a few jerking moments before readjusting... At least this is what i felt.

5-The best and the worst are mixed up inside

Allow me to explain: the leather is great, seats and steering wheel are amzing but the buttons ferrari put on a 400k car as well as lever and switches are appalling. Doesnt feel sturdy and im pretty sure they could break anytime. No bueno !

6-The direction is precise but too light
    Im not sure if ferrari has made steering the cars so easy in order to appeal to more ppl but i personally loved that the TR had no steering assist, the response at speed from the car was go kart like, although bad in hairpins. The steering in the FF, i feel, is too light, Lexus light. It is , however, very precise and fun. Im also glad i didnt purchase the LED wheel aftermarket. Dont need it. just looks

7-It revs really fast, maybe too fast?
    Same as 1, i got to deal with the new cars and how powerful they are. I did enjoy more the power buildout in the TR, this is too fast to enjoy. Makes u want MORE

8-It is the best bang for your buck ferrari offers
    The TR and the FF are incredibly great cars for 100-120k cars. I do think the FF is close to bottoming out and the TR is stable. I would not have gotten a 430 instead of a FF thats for sure

9-It looks better in person
    I am on the record for quoting the ferrari FF as the worst looking ferrari ever. Like a fiat bravo. Must admit that is is aging well. From up close the shapes are amazing. The long hood, the back... ITs all well crafted. It makes sense, it doesnt photograph as well as it does look in real life.

10-I wouldnt take it on a long road trip if i had the choice between this and my S63 coupe

I know, blasphemy. Am i saying that my s63 is better ? Well as far as interior build quality= Yes, technology ? Hell yes. Safety ? Again massive yes. I love the s63, so does chris harris. But like Chris i also have the FF now and i love it just as much. Value wise the s63 will plunge, it handles well but not as well, and it is not that special and thats why i would take it on a long road trip versus the FF. The merc is more comfortable, easier to maintain and cheaper too in that regards. I still have my w215 cl65 and back then everyone was elling me how expensive to run but it really isnt because on a merc u can get cheaper parts ( i bout an abc pump on it for 500VS 2k at the dealer)... ferrari on the other end... Different story...
    Dont get me wrong i am in love witht he FF and i feel so special in it thats why, even if its more of a daily drive, id rather drive it occasionaly so i dont get spoiled rotten by it :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IloveGT, otakki, ANOpax and 1 other person like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Sorry for All my typos and grammar mistakes ! I just saw them now;)

3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Excellent report. I purchased my 2012 FF to replace my 2006 M5 that I purchased new and put 150k miles on. The FF was cheaper then a new M5 and will lose less in value a year, even with spending $6k/yr on extended powertrain warranty

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

evanmcm and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Thanks sir!

5. ThatPat

ThatPat Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Patrick J Fowler
    Great insight and review!
    I like your views of FF vs. s63.
    We always look at a car and ask...could we take a long road trip in that?
    Thanks and great photos too!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    makes sense - driving an FF for 2 hours is easy. 4 hours plus wld be doable on the right roads. 6 hours and id take an SUV.

ThatPat and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Thanks for all ur insight which helped me pull the trigger on one!

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    happy to have been helpful - and dont forget the cup holder slides back and forth and if you connect via BT you can stream music and get waze onto the car speakers!

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Waze can only be helpful given how fast this accelerates!

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh its almost too fast...and it can do it in the rain and snow too with the right tires. FF with snows is better than my full size Range Rover with snows. now you will have some rust and corrosion around the brakes but hey its a ferrari

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Totally agree on the speed. I have a few canyon type of roads here in Cali. In the testarossa u would ramp up and get to the corners at say 65 in a 45, it was scary, it felt fast but I would do it. In the ff u will take the same corner at 100mph. The car can take it for sure and it’s for sure safer than the tr but the sheer speed makes me want not to try it. Really fast very very quickly

12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I did a couple of 7hr drives in the FF across Europe this summer. They were great fun and I wouldn’t have swapped it for an SUV for all the tea in China.

sisiay, Actualizer, ScottS and 4 others like this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you have much better roads than us!

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Being French I second that back home highways are nice, u pay for them but they are nice...in Cali I got potholes after potholes.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ummm yeh ive had 7 sets of FF wheels in 7 years - 2 sets because i wanted to change the looks.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

I forgot
    11- why on earth did Ferrari have all those beeping noises inside. So loud lol

timjen88 likes this.
  17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    those are mind numbing...

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes- I was driving with my dad and he took off his seatbelt, being new to the car I was wondering what the heck happened and I was looking for some issues but no... just the seatbelt...
    Mind u, nothing beats to me the slow down light sound on a testarossa. Same sound as an elevator door u kept open for too long: absolutely awful. My sensor was off at some point on mine and I had to run with it for an hour before I disconnected it. My wife hated me;)

19. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
  20. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo

21. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Hello Everyone,

Don't post hear much but have been an FChat member for about 11 years when I purchased my 575M which I still have and love! I have been searching for an FF as well for awhile approx 9 mos and finally purchased my new quasi-daily driver last week. 2014 Grigio Silverstone/Iroko from Ferrari Palm Beach, only 2800 miles and 2 year cpo warranty which was very important to me. Had the key options that I wanted: Pano roof, Carbon fiber, Horse contrast color in headrest,Dark forged rims, LED steering and passenger display and several other features I happy to have; chrome front grill, sport exhaust, lifter, full ventilated heat/air seating, alcantara lining, floor mats and rear hatch shelf (no carpeting anywhere) I prefer the carpeting . The only item I had changed were the calipers, the car was built with silver/aluminum color I made them change to yellow and they threw in 4 brand new michelin tires. The car left palm beach thankfully just before the storm and is expected to by in NY by tomm late, cant WAIT!

I have driven an FF several times and this car twice and I agree on most of natkingcolebaket69 comments. I intend on driving 2-4 weekly in the NYC and surrounding areas, I know im probably looking for trouble on many levels especially with the terrible roads. i hope it can handle it. once i get some time with the car i will report back with my comments. Super excited to drive this as a daily !!!!

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Enjoy! Love the car. I agree- for me full warranty was a must!!

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ur biggest annoyances will be potholes and bent rims, the ridiculous beeps turning the car off, and gassing up all the time. Sound system is crap. Otherwise everything else is bliss.

24. Natkingcolebasket69

I would add
    12- can’t beat the value for money...

The sticker in the car I got is 392k. It’s only missing the cf steering wheel and the roof. The rest it has it all: from a 4 k factory tint job to a cavalino on the gas door noozle (apparently that’s a rare option) it’s pretty cool. I like the lift system but not that useful

25. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Nat congrats on the FF! Glad you stuck with a V12. Great write up. Did you end up getting the steering wheel?