Daytona seats in 458 uncomfortable | FerrariChat

Daytona seats in 458 uncomfortable

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SPORTBUDDAH, Sep 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPORTBUDDAH

SPORTBUDDAH Rookie

Apr 5, 2015
    Thanks in advance. Sold my 07 430 and took deliver on ‘11 458. 2k miles. The Daytona seats are tight on my thighs. My back hurts after 20 minutes. The 430 seats were very comfortable. Are there any tricks with these seats? I was hoping these Daytona’s were like the 430’s. So much for assumptions. Mark.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Some people fit different seats differently.

I have full electric Daytonas. It took me awhile to master all the adjustments to get a perfect fit. Now they are very comfortable.

I think l was so excited about driving the car at first that l didn’t take the time to adjust the seats properly.

3. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    that sounds horrible, I always thought the daytonas were very comfy without owning one with them though.

@Adamtensta might be able to chim in, he just bought a beautiful 458 spider with the daytona seats I could not resist to admire when we went for a night ride this past weekend.

4. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

Have had 5 Ferraris with Daytona seats. I find them to be very comfortable. I guess that saying "there's an ass for every seat" doesn't always apply :)

Ash Patel and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  5. SPORTBUDDAH

SPORTBUDDAH Rookie

Apr 5, 2015
    My Daytona’s from the 430 were the most comfortable car seats I ever owned. I have had Audi A8, A7, old NSX, 2 Panameras My plan is to fiddle with the adjustments for a while but if this fails I would replace them. The car is magnificent. Does anyone know a seat expert? It’s storming today so I don’t have a driving opportunity. I don’t mind driving the car in the rain but prefer not to go out of my way to do so. By the way thanks for not being snarky about spending all this money and not knowing the car.

I have sat in this seat in other 458s without issue. These seats are not leather, I thought they were always leather. I loved that smell in the 430. If you know a link to seat info I would much appreciate that info. Mark

6. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I feel the same about my Daytona’s. The CS, Scud, and GT3RS LWB seats were more comfortable.

kfmcmahon922 likes this.
  7. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I find the Daytona seats to be comfortable. It took me getting the electronic seat adjusted to the right position.

8. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    It usually takes me a little time to readjust but I remind myself I'm not in a GT car and then I'm comfy

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have Daytona style in my 458 spider...love them...can drive for many hours without any discomfort, best seats ever (for me).

10. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Myself as well, I have full electric Daytona seats. Does take trying many different positions to get them just right though. I love the seats.... No complaints here with my 458 Spider....

Ray

11. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have sat in this seat in other 458s without issue. These seats are not leather, I thought they were always leather. I loved that smell in the 430. If you know a link to seat info I would much appreciate that info. Mark[/QUOTE]

They aren't leather?

What are they??

I sat in one a week ago and noticed lack of leather smell like in my 360. I thought perhaps it was because it did not have the full leather option...only seats.

12. Cyrek

Cyrek Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    I’ve owned the 458 coupe with both Daytona’s and the carbon buckets. Bottom line if your tall I’m 6’1 maybe 6’2 the Daytona’s were tough banged my head on visor hundred times, but they were very comfortable and had adjustment. The carbon seats are one the sexiest sport car seats ever in my opinion, and they solve the visor issue at my height because they lower you over an inch and even improve visibility. Problem is good lower mile cars with race buckets were hard to find 2 years ago anyway and by compromising... if you can with Daytona’s it opens you up to more good car choices if you that makes sense. Don’t misunderstand the Daytona’s are beautiful too, and I like them and the buckets are much stiffer I just really prefer the looks of them and happen to need the extra headroom they offer. Oh and you can get them with Daytona inserts ;-)

13. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I have a 430 and I know what you’re saying. I don’t think it’s the Daytona as much as it’s the shell and the padding. Every time I go for my 488 or F12 into the 430 I feel like I’m sitting on a sofa. I think that’s the fundamental difference. They’re very different seats between the two models regardless of the covering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Me too, although since I've lost weight i can say that easier. Back at 315+lbs... probably a different story.

The Alfa Giulia QV has tight sport seats. At 186-190 the bolsters are snug on my ribs.

15. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I agree, very comfortable when adjusted properly. Actually, my wife finds the seats more comfortable than 991.2 Porsche turbo. I had racing seats in earlier Ferrari and were not pleasant for me, especially on longer trips.

16. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Yeah sounds very odd. Maybe they have been done wrongly from factory? Mines are super duper comfy. When I compare with my X5, previous panamera, and my 991, I must say the Daytona is on the X5 level. Maybe even more comfy to be honest. Though I don't think I have many options to adjust it. Haven't checked honestly but it's like an old volvo from back in the days.

However, I've tried Daytona seats in full leather and the ones I have now are slightly more comfortable. It's leather and alcantara

Ash Patel likes this.
  17. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Ash Patel likes this.
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I know you're not going to believe this but I found the racing seats actually more comfortable than Daytonas.

IloveGT and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Same here, namely if you drive it like you stole it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Mark, sorry you are having this experience.
    I had the full power Daytona style seat in my Italia and have the carbon race seat in my spider.
    I apologize in advance if anything that I say to you below is old news to you.
    First is that the Daytona option ONLY refers to the stitching style on the standard seat. Diamond stitch as well. The seat is the same. Yes, some people swear it sits differently, but it is the same seat.
    Again, having had that seat, If you could describe what you find uncomfortable about it, maybe the cognoscenti here might be able to shed some light on helping you find the right position/solution.
    For your sake, I hope this thread isn't hijacked into which seat is better. That discussion will be of no use to your question.
    Best, Randy

21. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Could you provide your opinion on the differences in fit and comfort between the two seat styles? Also, what size are you? Seems to be very important in understanding people’s comfort in these cars. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, the seat frames are the same, and the different styles are just a matter of stitching. I don’t sit in the passenger seat much, but noticed the side bolsters are a bit wider there than on the driver’s side. The same was true of the seats that I had in my California. I’m guessing this is intentional and it’s likely that the seats are the same in both cars.

The driver’s seat adjustment does take a lot of fiddling with to get it comfortable and it’s still a bit tight for me. Fortunately I have the full electric seats so can save the settings to memory.

I took my California to a local car upholstery shop, who shaved the side bolsters a bit and added some padding to the bottom to “open them up” a bit, and the seat was perfect afterwards. I’ve not felt the need to do that in the 458, but that’s a solution that I know works. The shop did an excellent job, and you can’t tell visually anything has been done.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Trevor,
    I couldn't help but notice you are in Atlanta.
    Do you ever make/can you make it to the last Saturday of the month get together of the Ferrari Car Club in Buckhead? It is at the Streets of Buckhead (shops) from 10-1. It is a really nice bunch of eclectic guys who are far from poseurs. All different models/years of cars show up.
    Anyway, I will try and give you my experience with each seat. On a good day I was 5'7" but have likely shrunk over time! Call my weight 140.
    As I posted above, in the interests of the OP, I will try and remain "factual"/opinionated on each seat individually. I will NOT compare them to each other.
    First the the seat in the Italia. I had the Daytona seat trim and it was the full power/heat optioned one. So, I could inflate side bolsters and lumbar area. I found it to be initially really comfortable.The relative lack of high bottom cushion bolstering makes it very easy for ingress/egress.
    FYI: I always put my hand on the sill and lower myself into/onto any Ferrari seat or the leather/stitching/bolster looks like crap in a few months. Same on exit NEVER ride that side bolster.
    The inflatable bladders were something I could never get quite right. For some reason, when I tried to snug up the seat with bladder inflation, I experienced more pressure on my back rather than on the sides of my thorax - which is obviously the area I was trying to snug up for brisk cornering support. The other issue I ran into was that on bladder inflation, the seat back - which felt great with bladders deflated- seemed to feel like it was cupping a little. I felt like my back wasn't flush the way it started. Likely a result of the pressure sensation issue as I described above. The other issue I had was with the seat's headrest. It is clearly designed correctly to prevent whiplash. Unfortunately this safety design just wasn't anatomically correct for me. Or should I say I had an issue with it. Just like seats in a Volvo I was in and another make I forgot, the headrest seemed to push my head forward when I had the backrest in the more upright position I enjoy. I could therefore never "relax" my upper torso as the headrest interfered with me putting my neck in what I would call my neutral position.
    Lastly, despite being short the seat always felt like it was too high for me. Weird, I know. I assume all the motors need space under the seat cushion. Mind you, I was told that Recaro did this seat. I love their seats in other vehicles. I chalk it up to my body morphology. Other people find the opposite I experienced. Believe me when I say their opinion MUST be considered just as valid. I cannot believe anyone wants to criticize or compliment a seat for secondary gain. They are what they are.
    Lastly, and this is esoteric and only important to likely VERY few people. I have been told that the softness of the regular seat allows more pulling on the leather/seams during entry/exit. This in turn leads to more visible wear. I believe "philnothill" commented on some seat wear he started to get early on. The race seat with its tight leather on its edges purportedly resists the effects of wear more. This is not first hand knowledge so not presenting as fact.
    The race seat is a very different proposition. Think more really good sport seat than race seat. Porsche's optional carbon bucket is much more confining. Maclaren's Senna seat even more so. The seat has no power adjustment. BUT, you can pay $2-3K for a BS manual lifter! A lifter that is only for the driver. Strike one for the race seat is that the passenger seat cannot be adjusted at all. Yes, you can slide it fore/aft and adjust rake, but that is it. Passengers can see out readily. But, talk about a poor ergonomic position for back health. Passengers knees are never bent as they should be for long distance comfort. In regards to the driver's seat, you can adjust the lift under the thigh bolster and seat height. BUT, only with tools! Not adjustable on the fly. In the 6 years since having my seat height/rake of lower bolster "set" by my dealer, and then manually adjusting the back rake, I have never touched the seat again.
    Because the seat is manual, I do slide it back on exit so that I can get out with the least effort/seat trauma. A nice little aspect of the quick manual release.
    The headrest is likely dangerous should I get in an accident. Because it is a "race seat" it is designed for driver (and passenger) to have on a helmet. For me it makes daily driving easier as my head is not constantly up against the headrest.
    For better or worse, there is NO adjustable lumbar support on the seat. BUT, I do find that despite this I get plenty of support in this region. In my wife's X3 or my Golf R I crank in some support. Never once missed it in the Ferrari.
    I am sure I said more than anyone needs to know/hear. BUT, you asked!!
    Hope to see you in Atlanta!
    Randy

24. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Randy, glad to hear your opinion and the fact that you are in Atlanta! I’ve actually made a couple of the Buckhead events this year, so maybe we’ve already met. I plan on going this month as well (last month I didn’t realize the last day of the month was actually the event day, so I went the weekend before and had the street to myself! I find that I have similar issues with the seats as you. Normal seat is tight and I’m only 5’9”, but I also sit too high. Have to duck down to use the rear-view mirror! Very strange. Hope we can discuss on the 28th!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. TomC9786

TomC9786 Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tom Courtney
    Bought my 2014 Spider in April, found my back starting to ache in the first hour of driving, thought OMG, not good, wanted to love lots of time in this car. Had an iPhone and wallet in the rear pockets of my pants, took those out and have never had an issue with the comfort of the seats. I think the seats are so contoured that the slight bulge of the wallet and phone made a huge difference in comfort. For what it’s worth....