812 Spider | Page 31 | FerrariChat

812 Spider

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Furthermore, in keeping with their capitalistic dreams they could easily charge more for a non-GPF car as an option, passing that additional cost on to the client, and we all would pay it.

Prancing12 and Bundy like this.
  2. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    #752 nads, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    You are paying for what is produced and the choice is yours. You don't like you don't buy......simple. Just because you pay an amount does not give you the right to dictate how it's built. Plenty of non GPF cars out there to choose from, perhaps better to focus on those.

stavura, cesman, SVCalifornia and 2 others like this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You guys all make great points and I for one am turned off a bit by the notion of a GPF fitted 812 of any kind- that's why its worth a lot of discussion so Ferrari can hear our point of view.

I am not that fluent with regulations so I don't know if its simply not feasible for them to make different versions of the same car (with and without GPF).

I am skeptical the GPF is due to being public. Ferrari as a public company is a favorite boogie man for many here, but I think it's an over used explanation. They were a very profit driven company before they went public. Certainly there are changes, but I don't think their being public has caused the GPF. From where I'm sitting, it is due to the diesel gate scandal.

I also would imagine the people at Ferrari are aware of the passionate Ferraristi who would rather not have this, so there must be good reasons. Perhaps they thought of increasing prices to cover the cost of producing two variants? Perhaps it's simply the cost to develop the variant for the EU means it must be spread out over the volume for the rest of the world? Imagine not selling their V12 model in their own country!

So we all know why GPF is not desirable, I think its worth voicing one's opinion, but also, we have to accept that it is reality now. I remember when they moved away from stick shift- how many people said- oh, no more Ferrari for me! Stick is essential to the experience. I'll never buy another one... Yet, we are 10 years later, how have things worked out? They said the same thing with turbo also... Change is the only constant my friends.

4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Agree with your perspective on turbo, and think Ferrari managed to do a hell of a job making the engine still sound great / distinctive all things considered

GPF on the other hand, just judging off of the F8 videos (which is not the same as in person), it sounds more muffled and muted sadly. That being said I'm not educated enough to understand if the GPF does or does not have redeeming qualities. Feels like the 2nd generation catalytic converter of sorts, and I sure hope that if most (if not all) ICE cars moving forward are going to have this then it's for a material impact on making the world better for the future, and not something inconsequential..

Like Anir said, at least DCT/turbo came with some benefits along with the known drawbacks. GPF, only benefit that I can think of is to better the environment so I sure hope that it's worth it. Lamborghini supposedly got lucky/found a way around GPF with port and direct (dual) injection, wonder if that still plays ball with the regs & maybe a remotely feasible alternative for newer ICE engines...

The poor 812 aperta owners, if the sound is muffled for them with the GPF, at least they can combat that by droping the top :) Maybe that's why Ferrari is making the car, and not strictly limited production lol

Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Actually paying an amount does give you the right to dictate how its built. Ferrari would be one hell of an arrogant company to think it doesn't need to listen to its customers. In fact the mere mention of the words McLaren and Lamborghini put them into a tailspin.

If you are a serial car buyer like most here the passion only takes you so far and then you indulge elsewhere. Ferrari are 100% aware of this evidenced by Universo (excellent idea and great marketing) and the way they have upped their direct marketing.

Regarding the sound and not hearing the car at Universo is not something that would concern me. If they can't put "their best foot forward" and need time for more development then I am happy to wait

Bundy likes this.
  6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    That’s most likely what I’ll do. I still love Ferrari but will redirect my focus to purchasing older models like the F12 tdf that stir my soul. Maybe even an F40 or 333SP.

You’ll have to forgive me if I still need time to grieve after being a diehard Ferrari nut for 50 years and buying 7 Ferraris in the past few years. There is currently only one car in my garage that isn’t a Ferrari.

I accept change but didn’t see Ferrari incorporating so many worthless & non-mandated do-dads like HELE, ADAS, GPF, etc, in rapid succession. Add-ons which do absolutely nothing to enhance performance or the driving experience. Systems which can only lead to maintenance and reliabilty headaches down the road.

The U.S. govt has mandated its fair share of worthless components over the years, such as the automatic sliding shoulder belts in the US-spec F40 and atrocious bumperettes on the early 70’s Jaguars, F40, Porsche 993, etc. Fortunately, manufacturers spared Europe and ROW from those goofy systems. Something has changed. Somehow, we’re now supposed to accept the “wisdom” of EU bureaucrats as they lead companies like Ferrari to force their misguided dictums on the rest of us? No thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH, JTSE30, DRYHOLE and 5 others like this.
  7. francescaoscar

Jun 11, 2014
    Uk
    Any more news about the ‘spider’.

What’s the consensus on the look of lines of the convertible compared to the beautiful coupe?

8. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Pics released Monday... worth a thousand words..

KenU likes this.
  9. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Yesterday I had the chance to see it and absolutely loved it.

Mille Grazie, Ferrari! :D

10. Cargt63

Cargt63 Karting

Aug 12, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Marco
    The latter of course. What did you think?

11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    If that were true you would also be able to demand a car without airbags, pedestrian safety protection and countless other add-ons over the years - all of which add huge weight and blunt feedback and performance. It’s simply unrealistic to think Ferrari can exist in its own little bubble and that regulators will say “ah, don’t worry little prancing horsey people, we’ll exempt Ferrari because we know you really really like your cars the way they are...”

12. LandandcarsAZ

LandandcarsAZ Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
  13. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I am sure he is going to be immensely unpopular with Ferrari. Thought judging by his IG profile there are already quite a few cars in the collection.

Not sure what I think of the car, much less dramatic that I was expecting, then again I am not a great fan of grey of Ferrari's.

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I agree with this to an extent but I do wonder about these filters in countries with 'dirty" fuel. Surely these filters will become blocked fairly quickly and then what? Expensive replacements?

Perhaps though we should be celebrating a NA V12 Ferrari convertible.

15. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    of2worlds likes this.
  16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I know I always tend on the positive side with 812 but this is beyond lovely. Not wild about the colour but since I couldn't make the presentation I had held off ordering. Order now in. The open top doesn’t disturb the lines at all, in fact it all flows very nicely. I honestly think Manzoni’s team are really good at what they’re doing and I get that some prefer the older stuff, just not me. Problem is I’ve got so many cars on order now, I’ll have to sell some of them, but which ones?

JagShergill likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Anyone know what the trunk/boot space is like?

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Not if, but when Ferrari see's this breech of trust, he will have some explaining to do as well as the distinct possibility of persona-non-grata for years to come.

Stradalelover likes this.
  19. Stradalelover

Stradalelover Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    Germany
    Just to add to the GPF discussion. I was talking to a Ferrari official yesterday at the preview of the new V12 Spider and he stated that they did a lot of work with the naturally aspirated engine in order for the consumer to hear no change in sound to non-GPF 812 Coupes. So no change in sound for naturally aspirated engines. However, there will be a dampening of sound for the turbo-charged F8 in comparison to the 488 due to "filters" which I think is no big news.

20. Stradalelover

Stradalelover Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    Germany
    Half of the one in the 812 Coupe I would say. I'm simply guessing from seeing the car though, I didn´t ask for the specific numbers.

brighton and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    ..if not forever! Did he not think this would come back to bite him? Are hits on an Instagram post more important than keeping long term relationships of trust? On one hand I'm glad I see the actual car but on the other hand I'm more pissed off that someone has such a low moral compass!!

Ekki F and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    C’mon. Nobody’s expecting Ferrari’s EU or China customers to be exempt from EU- or China-specific regulations. Many enthusiasts live in other regions where no exemption is needed. I believe the U.S. is still Ferrari’s largest market in terms of annual sales?

I’ll wait until official photos are released to make a judgment about the aesthetics. It’s pretty tacky to sneak a photo after agreeing not to do so. Ferrari has every right to get upset.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. LandandcarsAZ

LandandcarsAZ Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    He didn’t take the photo it was sent to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Looked like exactly the same capacity as 812SF barring that the rear shelf is t there any more. Trunk opening aperture is larger as tailgate section is different.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat