The Sid party continues :) Monza Pre Race thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Sid party continues :) Monza Pre Race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Sep 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    used components prior to Monza

UPDATE; Gasly, Max, Norris and POSSIBLY Perez will start at the back of the grid due to new components

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Are you being humorous or confused?
    He meant people from the country of Albania;)

greg328 likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Oh please no !!!

Kubica already had his fair share of crashes ...

4. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Sorry, I should have said he (Maxi) is able to. I didn't try to suggest he should run into Kubica's Williams, as we know Williams have their own struggles.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Dumb joke. But I may have to look into the Albanian solution, good help is hard to find around here. Do they speak the Queen's English?

Nembo1777 and daytona355 like this.
  6. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I thought he meant those folks with white hair and pink eyes ;)

Nembo1777 and Nortonious like this.
  7. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145794/mercedes-reliability-concerns-over-engines-remain

Toto Wolff admits there are still questions over the reliability of the latest Mercedes Formula 1 engines in the cars of Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas, Lance Stroll and George Russell.

Sergio Perez and Robert Kubica, who both suffered failures on their upgraded Phase 3 power units at Spa, will run Phase 2 engines that have already completed high-mileage at Mona this weekend.

Last weekend in Belgium, all six Mercedes-powered cars were equipped with the latest Phase 3 engines ahead of practice, and these were scheduled to last each driver until the end of 2019.

But Perez suffered a failure in FP2, and then Kubica's let go in qualifying and doth drivers switched back to older Phase 2 engines for the rest of that event.

Wolff suggested Mercedes had found some of the reasons behind the issues following an investigation at its High Performance Powertrains Brixworth engine base this week, but he explained that the exact situation was not yet fully understood.

When asked if Mercedes' engine performance would be compromised at Monza, Wolff told Autosport "that is not yet totally clear".

"We will know more tomorrow when we have run them," he continued. "It's still an unknown, we need to run them in FP1."

Regarding Perez and Kubica sticking with their old engines, Wolff said: "We wouldn't be able to put the new ones together in time. It's a capacity problem. There were only six. Some spares, but not enough."

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Toto getting the obligatory excuses set out well in advance if the race, just in case he needs to protect the ego of his mentally weak team leader in the event of a loss

nietoale1, VPX, fil and 3 others like this.
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    More importantly is Mrs Toto with him again after all the bad luck, that came with her at Spa...

stavura, Nortonious and daytona355 like this.
  11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Flavio_C likes this.
  12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I hope so, good old Suzy

VPX, Nortonious and of2worlds like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Sorry, that's about as "hi-res" as I could get.:)

14. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX

15. Looks like RA, if so, April or September ('76)? 'Was there in April, and this was the finishing order (I know not RA, but the best pic of Al/Mike 1-2 I could find)...and, two Monzas (races) would be better than one.... :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Many thanks for the photos, Joe. Has anyone noticed how Ferrari's rosso corsa has changed on the F1 cars? Years ago it was a pure red; during the Marlboro years a Marlboro 'cowboy' orange-red. Last year more red and, to my eye, this year again red-orange. Try comparing your Ferrari baseball cap with the color on this year's cars.

I attended the 1960 race, the last F1 race in which 2 1/2 liter cars raced. F1 was ending the 2 1/2 liter engine formula and going to 1 1/2 liters for 1961. For the '60 Gran Premio d'Italia all of the English teams brought their 1 1/2 liter cars already prepared for the '61 season. Ferrari brought two 2 1/2 liter front engine cars for Phil Hill and Richie Ginther and a 1/1/2 liter mid-engine car for Wolfgang 'Taffy' von Trips. As they already had experience with 1 1/2 liter engines at the back, Porsche brought two cars. They produced a weird sound as they whistled past the grandstands straight; I learned that it was produced by the engine cooling fans placed flat horizontally above the engines, the tips of which were said to be spinning at supersonic speeds.

What days those were!

WilyB, daytona355, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  17. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    disgruntled tifosi? you think Piero F. and John Elkann will be gruntled if the Scuderia does not deliver? ;-)

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think they are pragmatic businessmen more than emotional individuals.

19. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    D’Ohh!!!

Thanks anyway. Always appreciate your race weekend posts.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ahhh, Ferrari themselves won’t be disappointed if they lose, it’s just us owners and fans that will be. ****ing hell, I’ve heard it all now

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think he should try for another kamikaze in turn one. :eek: That would be, like, totally awesome! Forza arancio!:rolleyes:

375+ and Nortonious like this.
  22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    And that was the last World Championship GP won by a front-engine car....Phil Hill, in a Ferrari, at Monza. What could be better? You definitely were a witness to history.

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  23. I think even the top teams would differ....

As in, when is the "goal" of a top team a fifth when starting up front could result in a win. I sincerely would like to read the rationale.

daytona355 likes this.
  24. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    It's the horrible matte finish on this years' Ferrari...it looks vaguely acceptable in some lighting conditions and a thoroughly dreary pale red-orange in others, like you describe. Definitely the worst shade red ever to be put on an F1 Ferrari. Hopefully it's quietly (or loudly!) abandoned in the coming years. They've tried to justify it as owing to weight saving, but imo Ferrari should never compromise style for such infinitesimal gains :cool: