360 Modena First Drive | FerrariChat

360 Modena First Drive

Discussion in '360/430' started by Daniel Harman, Sep 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Hello all, great to join the forum as a soon to be Ferrari owner (my first!). In fact very soon as I collect my 2002 360 Modena (manual) from the dealer this coming Saturday. Rather ambitiously (possibly) I plan to drive the 360 the long way home from the Bay Area back to home in LA. Planned route is over the Sierras with an overnight stay in Mammoth Lakes. Seriously losing sleep with the excitement of collecting the new car, and wanted to ask if there is any advice for first drives in a 360? Particularly when a longer trip is planned? Thanks in advance!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FantasiaForest

Feb 22, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin Ii
    Remember its a 17 year old car. I was thinking of drive mine from Chicago Il. To Jacksonville Fl over 800 miles. It was going to cost me $250+ in gas plus hotel stays and if anything went wrong you would have to get it towed/shipped and rent a car. The drive sounds fun but you might want to consider shipping it and getting a feel for the car first. Not sure how long your trip is but I would map out service centers along your rout in case you have any problems. I love my 360 Ive had it since May 2019. 2 problems I have are AC coolent and F1 pump went out. I wish you well with yours, your going to love owning it. Let us know how the trip went.

Daniel Harman likes this.
  3. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Many thanks FantasiaForest I appreciate the reply and wise words. Definitely not something I typically do when purchasing an older car but I excited about the challenge! You have though reminded me to upgrade my AAA to get unlimited towing miles (just in case). Will let you know how the trip goes!

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congratulation on your purchase! I wouldn't worry about the drive or the distance. The route that you're taking might be spotty as far as cellphone coverage is concern. It's been awhile, but I would carry along a 5 gallon of gas in the frunk just in case. Have fun and report back as to how it goes!

5. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Thanks mello ! I was wondering about gas mileage and the stops, thinking 5 gallons of gas just in case is a great idea. Appreciated, and will report back.

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ... make sure to tie down the gas container so that it won't shift around on the frunk. You will be tempted to drive her hard! :)

7. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Ha! Yes I hope so!

8. FantasiaForest

Feb 22, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin Ii
    Bring a set of Torx bits, Phillips and common screw driver. Bring a full set of fuses. To access the fuses in the Ftrunk you will need a T25 bit. I believe the fuses to the lights and wipers are there. A Phillips screw driver will remove the panels behind tbe seats. Ill post what fuses are where. Mine is a 2000 coupe F1. You dont want a your headlights or wipers going out to delay your trup.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. FantasiaForest

Feb 22, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin Ii
    Oops forgot to say 1st pic in in the trunk driver side panel. pic 2 is behind drivers seat and 3rd is passenger seat.

10. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Awesome, thanks again FantasiaForest. Great advice. I am pretty handy with the tools so will definitely be taking a little emergency set for the trip. Now to find fuses within 2 days...

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just drive it. I have gone over 3hrs between gas stops cruising at 70+ on 2 lane rds through the mountains. That is more than enough on your route, and probably more than you want to go between stretch breaks anyways. Besides, it is all downhill from Mammoth to LA:D If it breaks down, a very low risk IMO, just call the truck as you will not want to be trying to figure out what the issue is.

LI2782 and Daniel Harman like this.
  12. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I like to think you will have a good trip, after all you are driving a manual shift car as well. There are a few other things I would bring for a long trip. I suggest the same as I carry which is Tire plug repair kit, a can of Fix-A-Flat , and one of them real small air compressors.

13. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Cheers jcurry and LorenzoR for the advice. I actually drove my '69 E Type to Monterrey this year with little more than a quick service and a lot of faith lol. Thinking this trip is far less risky and will be a lot of fun.

jcurry likes this.
  14. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

You got it brother, enjoy the trip

sparetireless and Daniel Harman like this.
  15. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    If you have the time, I'd suggest spending the first afternoon just driving some of my usual haunts-- the amazing backroads of the SF peninsula. They are reachable in all of 20 minutes' drive from that dealer-- which happens to be how long it takes to warm up a cold 360.

If nothing else it would give you a chance to sanity-check the car before starting a longer trip-- worst-case scenario you could get towed back to the dealer.

But also it's just a gorgeous area with great weather; a destination in itself.

killer58 and Daniel Harman like this.
  16. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    First of all, it will not break down and it will eat that trip up for breakfast. These are strong, reliable cars and, provided that it has not been sitting in someone’s garage and not driven for the last 10 years, it will drive better when you get to your destination than it does when you start.

If it is a garage queen with less than 7000 miles on it, or has a timing belt that has not been serviced lately, you may want to think seriously about having it shipped. It could also have all kinds of hoses and fittings that have dry rotted or otherwise failed from lack of use. But I’m sure your pre-purchase inspection would’ve picked up on many of these things.

Have fun! They are wonderful machines.

sparetireless and Daniel Harman like this.
  17. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Thanks everyone, looking forward to the weekend even more now. Car has done 15k miles and just had its major service at 14k so thinking all will be fine.

Will report back with pics and talk of the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. FantasiaForest

Feb 22, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin Ii
    Im sure it will be fine but better to be prepared. One last thing I can think of, Your Tow Hook. If it comes with a took kit make sure the Tow Hook is in there if not you may want to look at getting one from the dealer you probably don't have time to order one from ricambi.

19. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    The 395 has a lot of rocks on the road. Great way to chip up your car. Stay away from other cars and don’t follow too closely. Outside of that, its an amazing car and solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking either the 120 or the 88>395, so maybe I’ll avoid the 395 and take the 120 instead. Appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Agreed and good point re: the tow hook; will double check!

22. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    Bought mine 5Y ago and drove 650km home... in the dark and light rain It was a great experience!

Now 40.000km later... iam driving.

Regards
    Joerg

23. Daniel Harman

Daniel Harman Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harman
    Awesome ! Nothing like an adventure for the first drive.

24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Welcome to ownership. Enjoy the drive.

25. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Recent service....... just drive it. Forget the gas can. You won't need it.

Red 27, Daniel Harman and jcurry like this.