Do I really need to epoxy floors and add HVAC unit | FerrariChat

Do I really need to epoxy floors and add HVAC unit

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by BT22, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT22

BT22 Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I’m excited to say that I’m taking delivery of my first Ferrari next week! I’m the proud new owner of a 2007 599 GTB with 2K miles. The interior and exterior of this car is just about flawless and I’ve noticed that everyone on this forum talks about sealing their garage floors and even install HVAC split units to keep humidity down. My question is if this is really necessary for a car that will be stored in a single car garage with nothing else. It is separate from my other garage and the kids won’t be allowed in there. My concern is heat and humidity levels potentially warping the dash or the buttons becoming “sticky” (they aren’t today). I’ve received quotes for epoxy floors ($5/sq ft) and a Mitsubishi split unit ($3K) installed and I’m concerned that this is really overkill and a waste of about $7K on a house that I’ll probably move out of in 5 years anyway. Could I just throw down a rubber mat and call it a day? I don’t want to overthink this. Thanks!

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #2 BigTex, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    There's other types of floor paint.

And there's a spot cooler my apartment uses that might beat the installed split system.
    It only requires a 4" flex out the wall for heat rejection.....could get you the brand.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #3 BigTex, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Doing anything to the concrete really cuts normal dust and also seals the very corrosive lime that's wearing loose. But a black or grey latex sealer is fine IMO. Epoxy is for color chip speckles and a clear coat! And it's really cool....flat black is $25 a gallon.

Depends on the climate, the a/c but a friend inherited his Dads beautiful Jag and asserts the whole soft rubber and plastic of the car dry rotted in the Houston heat. He leaves the door cracked almost all the dame in the daylight hours, to avoid the heat sink.

Food for thought.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. BT22

BT22 Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Makes sense. I’ll look into some latex sealer and if you could send me some info on that spot cooler you referred to I’d really appreciate it! Thank you for your reply!

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dude congrats on your car...I missed a 6K miles 599GTB and there was none finer, heavily optioned, by a friend.

Time was not right.

I picked up two gallons of floor sealer from a commercial space, a restaurant or gym or something in Austin.
    Something a lot less than epoxy.

Yes, when my apartment a/c failed in June, here they came with R2D2 and blew his vent out the kitchen window.
    Handled 600 sq. ft. just fine.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You got your Ferrari, now you gotta beat the Jones's! j/k, being fellow Georgian, I would definitely suggest doing something to cut down on the humidity. Doesn't have to be anything extravagant, just take a saturday, paint/seal your floors and maybe put a dehumidifier/AC unit in. You didn't mention your size, but all that can be done pretty cheaply. I personally vinyl tiled my floors and piped in HVAC, but if you aren't planning on staying there, might as well just do what's "necessary" for the car.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont necessarily think the heat is the issue in the garage, the sun through the glass is what warps the dash/leather etc. more important to manage the humidity. adding AC is more $ but obviously you kill 2 birds with one stone.

8. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Those single vent portable A/C units are inefficient and don't lower the humidity as much as they should. That's because for all of the extra hot air that it blows out the single vent, it must draw in the corresponding amount of also hot and humid outside air to compensate. Think about it, it can't only pump air out otherwise the air pressure would go down?

I love my mini-split because I work on my own car and that's a lot more pleasant with A/C and heat. But if you do go with the portable type, I highly recommend that you search for a two hose system that brings in outside air in a contained path that blows across the condenser and then vents outside through the second hose.

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Choose the right floor finish for the substrate and conditions. Latex will likely peel when in contact with tires and will easily chip off if you're working on the car. Even an inexpensive 2K water based garage coating will be more durable and is readily available.

10. BT22

BT22 Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks guys. I just got a quote for an in-wall dehumidifier for $2K. I’m not as worried about heat as I am humidity as it will be in a single car garage just large enough for the car itself, so I won’t be working on the car or hanging out in there. Good call on the water based sealant. I’ll look into that today as well. Thanks!

11. BT22

BT22 Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The car comes with the original car cover and trickle charger. Do you recommend covering with the original cover while it’s stored as well?

12. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I keep my 599 in an offsite storage facility. Unfinished cement floors and no climate control, however I am in Southern California with no real humidity issues. I always keep it covered and on the trickle charger.

13. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    If your moving in a few years look into something that can be installed now but easily relocated maybe. I have a commercial (but portable) dehumidifier in one part of my basement just in case in the summer.

I’m in Atlanta and opt’d for metallic epoxy and split Mitsubishi unit but no plans on moving any time soon.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  15. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    You do need to seal the concrete to prevent the previously described problems.
    Clear, 100% solids epoxy is very easy to apply and should cost < $1/ sq ft using a roller.

16. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    We went with a polyurea floor coating as it's more durable and slip resistant, but overkill if you know you will be moving. Costly $$$.

Adding a Mitsubishi mini-split to the garage was one of the best things I've done as now everything in there is protected from the heat, humidity, and salt air we have here. About $2600 for the AC, super efficient and no insulation on block walls. Now I can work on any project or the cars and bikes.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We do specify the Mitsubishi split systems, no ide on cost though..keep the lines short.

ttforcefed is a good rec also...

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm in a hot, humid area. Speaking from experience, split system air conditioning systems are great. We have a Daikin in our >600sf garage. It keeps it cool and dry. Well worth the money.

We also had three ss units in an old house that we didn't want to mess up with a.c. ducts. They worked fine.

19. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Well there's nothing like an epoxy coated floor if you can afford it. It resists moisture,very easy to maintain (either by hose or sweep and vacuum) and looks awesome.
    5$ per sq. ft is about what in costs. make sure your istaller puts a little grit in it to avoid slippinng when wet.

20. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    No, grit is what will make it look permanently dirty eventually and be abrasive for things you place on the floor. If you go with a system such as the multi-step polyurea with color flake, it has a very high friction coefficient and is not only rated durable enough for a forklift to run on, but slip resistant enough to be used outdoors around water. No grit needed, so it is not abrasive and doesn't catch dirt or grab at things moved across it. Grit works but it's the old solution :) (from the school of been there, done that)

21. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    An ac unit will do the same job AND you will be cool. That seems high, IMHO

22. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    a cheap 24K BTU cool system here runs about 1100 plus install. Mine is going on 3 years old in the garage and works great.

23. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    My Mitsubishi Mr. Slim split system AC cost just over $2k for a two ton unit installed, and it has a dehumidify setting as well. No reason to throw money away on a dehumidifier alone when an AC does other things and even has a heat cycle if needed.

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m a fan of split systems, having used them for decades in both home and garage. Just choose an installer who has experience with them. You don’t want to be his OJT.:eek:

Dean Palmer likes this.
  25. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    alan (Tex) is one of the nicest guys on here, and is very very knowledgable!