FF wheels on GTC4Lusso | FerrariChat

FF wheels on GTC4Lusso

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by RickLederman, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Does anyone know if the FF wheels will work on a GTC4 Lusso? I've had two FFs and put Sottozero's on them in the winter. I just took delivery of a GTC4Lusso and wonder if I need to order new wheels?

The GTC4Lusso is simply amazing, well worth trading my second FF!

Rick Lederman

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I remember looking into this a while back. IIRC, The wheels have the same diameter and width and the major difference is the offset for the rear wheels. I believe FF wheels have more offset and that will make the mounted FF wheels recede more into the wheel wells. I'm not sure if that will create a problem of rubbing for the 4WS system on the GTC4.

3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes they go on great but I recommend spacers. I went 15 all around but heard others doing 10 and 15.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Otakki is correct - the fronts are identical. The rears have an offset which means you need a 10mm spacer on the rears. One of the Canadian Fchat members used his FF winter rims on his Lusso with 10mm spacers IIRC - as much for the looks as for the performance.

Edit - uhn2000 beat me to it! And it seems my recollection was faulty! But the maths stands. If you want to replicate the stock Lusso setup and look, 10mm spacer on the rears is all you need. Anything else is a matter of personal preference.

Natkingcolebasket69 and otakki like this.
  5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Thanks all ... I may have two sets of FF wheels for sale, one set with rubber, one set without. Ordering a new set from Ferrari with SottoZeros possibly.

6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    These winters your selling? I might grab a pair.. lmk.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Just posted them in the For Sale section. [email protected] And I'm in NW Ohio.

Rick

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    The difference in offset for the front is 1mm, thus really no difference. FF rear wheel has additional offset of 9.8mm, thus a spacer of 10mm as mentioned above will bring it to oem look. Of course, longer bolts will be needed if adding spacers for the rear. Nevertheless, I always wonder if there will be additional stress due to the use of spacers.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you plan on using the FF wheels for winter driving, there's one nice advantage of not using spacers. Moving the wheel in 10 mm or so, will greatly reduce the amount of grit and gravel flung up along the side of the car.

As for whether or not spacers stress hub and suspension components. Only when used to increase track width. If you use a spacer to get the offset to OE spec, well the offset is then OE spec. Only added stress here is to the wheel bolts. The rest of the hub does not know whether the offset is built into the wheel or if a spacer is used.

Now adding spacers for increasing track, greatly increase the load and wear on the hub, steering and suspension components, and so does a decrease in offset. When the wheel is moved away from the hub, it moves the loading point away from the pivot point. This results in an increased load on the wheel bearing as well as on the load bearing suspension components, but it also has the effect of making the suspension act softer. Generally, adding wider spacers in the rear than in the front e.g the popular 10/15 and 15/20 F/R combo will result in a significant increase in understeer and push, as well as a reduced steering input sensitivity. It might look cool with the wheels totally flush, but it does nothing good for actual performance, and the tyres which now sit way out in the arches now fling a ton of debris up along the side of the car. The paint will be shot to **** in short order.

No free lunch. There's always a compromise somewhere.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dont want to hijack the thread but i went the other way - i put lusso wheels on my FF for the summer. any thoughts on impact on hubs etc? i dont believe im using any spacers.

11. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    This will work without any problems! I did the investigation about a year ago, and Ferrari said it will work without any problems (the other way around, FF on GTC4 Lusso is unknown as far as I know - but I also know that tdf wheels seems to work on both...).

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I've decided to order matching wheels from Cauley with rubber & air pressure devices. Hopefully I can get a few dollars out of my FF wheels mainly so I get the storage space back in my garage.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    From a performance standpoint, it will have the same effect as using 10 mm spacers in the rear. Same goes for the suspension, bearing etc. By reducing the offset, you move the loading point away from the hub flange and away from the inboard suspension pivot point.

That being said, I would not worry, and if you feel that the car now understeers and pushes a bit more than you'd like, you can add spaces in the front or wider tyres. I would be very inclined to think that the F12 front tyres would compliment the FF rears quite well in fact.

I generally don't like spacers, but one brand of spacer I don't have any problems with if spacers are needed, are the Hill spacers with proper bolt length. The workmanship is top notch.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thanks. Running oem lusso tire sizes - michelins - the car grabs like crazy

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks to A.B for those excellent explanations. So what will decreasing the track on the rear do, ie putting FF wheels on the GTC4? Will the car become more inclined to oversteer?

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're welcome.

No. Increasing rear track induces understeer and the car will push more.

otakki likes this.
  17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    So decreasing rear track induces oversteer?

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes. What happens is that the narrower track will place more weight on the front wheels in a turn-in, whereas a wider rear track means that the rear tyre in the outer rear corner carries more weight.

otakki likes this.
  19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    That was why I went ahead and ordered a new set of wheels and tires for my Lusso.

20. Agpl

Agpl Karting

Jan 15, 2013
    Worcestershire UK
    Full Name:
    John Ranson
  21. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have a set of 2018 GTC4Lusso wheels with winter tires (SottoZeros) with 452 miles for sale if anyone is interested in a plug-n-play solution. Please contact me. Joe

22. Agpl

Agpl Karting

Jan 15, 2013
    Worcestershire UK
    Full Name:
    John Ranson
    Joe please send me a message re the wheels are they in the Uk?

23. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV