Why haven't 550s Appreciated More/Dropped in Value? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Why haven't 550s Appreciated More/Dropped in Value?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sgtpeper, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Then why do 550's sell for what they do? I'm "that buyer" and when I grow up I have no interest in the 550... and hate to break it to you guys but don't expect a non-sports car to be worth the big bucks. They're not the quintessential ferrari.

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Not sure how you can be so blind about this. All Ferraris were front engine cars until the 308, since the Dino wasn't technically a Ferrari. So the 550 is, in fact, exactly the quintessential Ferrari. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. If you don't like them, fine, but facts are facts. Have you ever driven anything on the 456/456M/550/575M platform on a track? They are supremely competent and very easy for even a duffer to drive fast because the handling is unbelievably neutral. I read a retrospective take on the 550 just a year or so ago, and the reviewer said he'd forgotten how wonderful it was on a track. And he used the word competent more than once. When I had mine at COTA, the driving instructor must have said, "I can't believe..." a half dozen times. And they're not expensive because they're not old enough yet.

I love my 360, but it's no 550. So don't buy one, I'd like them to stay low until I can afford a third Ferrari. :)

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Most only buy 1 Ferrari in their lifetime. For many it is just a phase. And you are 100% right they go for V-8's being younger thinking a Ferrari is the cool car to be seen in get noticed and get laid. I consider myself pretty devoted. I'm on Ferrari #6 and #5 and #6 were 550's while everything prior were V-8's. There is room for everyone's taste. I think the V-12 buyer is a different kind of owner. That owner most often matches the kind of person I choose to be around. My days of sporting around like Justin Bieber have past a long time ago.

root and vrsurgeon like this.
  4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I started racing in my 348 mid-engine Ferrari. For the last 10 years a front mid-engine C5Z06 vette ( which handles like an unrefined 550 with the corvette hop). To go fast you need confidence. Confidence comes when a chassis makes you comfortable. The 550 does that because the front engine weight bias chassis is just not as fast in direction change as a mid-engine. This means that the average Joe can drive a front engine car faster more confidently while the mid engine car is technically faster. Few understand this simple concept where going fast is about the car AND the driver. The power to weight ratio of the new C8 vette is nearly identical to the out going C7 front engine car. I'm certain we will see a larger number of wrecked C8's vs. the C7's.

G. Pepper and vrsurgeon like this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I get it. The early 60's cars were all GT cars until the 246. I get it.

I'm just saying if you guys think anyone under 50 cares about the 550 and will pay for it.. go right ahead and keep fighting against the machine. There are too many great cars out there that are more competent GT's than the 550 for less money (yes even on the track). The Merc GT comes to mind (also looks cooler when ur ballin'). A better car in every way. Now that the C8 is a mid engine, it's game over for the 550 and it's ilk. You guys are more than welcome to spend $$$$ acquiring them, but you're not going to sell it to anyone in my generation for what you paid. Remember that film with Will Smith when he drove that Ferrari in the beginning and it got all shot up? I didn't until I got my 360. Then I went back and saw the beginning and went *meh*. More then welcome to buy, but don't complain when you can't sell for what you bought it for.

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Absolutely. I guarantee they'll lift mid-corner when racing the WRX and then over steer right into the tree. I'm waiting for it.

7. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    I think "quintessential Ferrari" is defined less by Ferrari's history and more by one's personal association with Ferrari. As an under 50 guy (barely :)) my first memory of Ferrari was Magnum PI. I always liked the mid-engine V8s: appearance and sound. Front engine V12 do nothing for me although I do think the 599, F12, and 812 are great looking cars. Older cars like 575 and 550, not so much. I am sure owners of 575 and 550 think a puny V8 360 is a toy and if you look at horsepower and torque it is, but I still wouldn't swap.

It is similar for Lamborghini. The Countach was the first Lamborghini I ever really knew even though the first few models were front engine and now my "quintessential Lambo" is a mid-engine V12 or V10.

8. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    I've enjoyed reading through this thread and all the opinions offered. Some have opined that there is no interest among the next generation of buyers for the 550/575 and the more subtle/refined V12 GT cars in general, but speaking as someone in this demographic I can assure you that this isn't the case. I've always felt that the 550 is a timeless beauty and have looked forward to owning one. Like many here, I started with a mid engined V8, added a current generation V12 for daily driving duties, and my next car will be likely be 3 pedal V12 GT car.

Unless I am the exception to the rule, I think that these cars will be well loved and looked after by generations to come.

Geoff_kg, cinquevalvole and G. Pepper like this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

You are correct. They are loved and will continue to be so. But, just by a much smaller percentage of enthusiasts that those who gravitate towards mis engine sports cars.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The 365BB says hello.....

Bluebottle and sixcarbs like this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    250 LM’s aren’t so shabby either

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Also hard to figure about why the 365 BB sits so low value wise.387 produced..

13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It was a couple years earlier, wasn't it. '73 v. '75. I even had a poster of one, but I forgot the BB was first.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    BB’s were the first mid engine road only cars but not the first mid engine Ferrari.

15. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    I drove many Ferrari models prior to settling on the 550
    Many V8's, paddle and stick form and a couple various V12's, again in paddle and stick form, all within a fixed budget of course

After driving the V12's, I was sold first on the engine, no need to wind the crap out of it to get anywhere, it is linear and effortless.
    Then it became about the paddle vs stick shift, have so much fun rowing my own gears, for me, its about the user experience

Could not give a cr&P about what others think, whether the quintessential Ferrari, beautiful or otherwise.

Look at past lineage and the cost of entry to the flagship V12 GT, clearly can see why they appreciate, the 550 represents the last of a past era

Whether its worth $5 Million or $0.50 Cents when I decide its time to sell, if I decide, I will have enjoyed every mile put on it behind that wheel

Best car purchase I have ever made and believe me there have been far too many

bruzzifumi, root, Geoff_kg and 2 others like this.
  16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, I was only referencing road cars. The LM is a cool car, but it wasn't even homologated properly.

17. Geoff_kg

Geoff_kg Rookie

Jun 23, 2019
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey Svensson
    Think the young don’t want these cars? Think again

I’m 23, and I’m buying a 550 within the next two years —don’t even think of talking me out of it because it’s going to happen

Why?

In a world of turbo’d, high performance tech-fests, each subsequently better than the other, the 550 stands out as a supremely unique car: Manual, naturally aspirated, big displacement, 12 cylinders, driver oriented, understated....I can go on

Of course, I’d love to have a crazy modern Porsche or Ferrari next to my 550 like any typical young guy, but it can come later. If you don’t take my word for it, just ask my group of friends who all worship this car and other legends from the 90’s. If these cars ever go up big time in value, you can thank Need For Speed video games for that!

18. DSUK

DSUK Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    The 550 doesn't interest the classic car guys because it isn't old enough, it doesn't interest the technology guys because it isn't new enough, it doesn't interest the mid' engined guys because it's not exciting enough and it doesn't interest the investors because it's not rare enough. The 550 doesn't have an obvious narrative as it's not very good at Top Trumps - it doesn't have 800hp, cost 3 million or look like it arrived from 2100 in a time machine.

It's qualities are more subtle. It's why the word sublime gets bandied around by owners. It's ageing like a fine wine but needs longer in the cellar. Then prices will probably rise and the narrative will follow......three world speed records, Schumacher/Lauda involvement, styling cues from the 250GTO and 275GTB etc. There's plenty to go at if people are happy to listen.

If you want a post Ferrari Daytona manual mid' engined car you can have a 208, 308, 328, 348, 355, 360, 430, Boxer 365, Boxer 512, Testarossa, 512, 288GTO, F40 or F50. But if you want a manual 2 seater front engined V12 you can have either a 550 or 575 (good luck finding a manual 599)...not a long list!

The Maranello's were one last look towards the past before Ferrari hurled towards the future. I'd happily spend the weekend with any Ferrari but the 550 is the one parked in my garage.

19. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    Already have mid V8 360, looking for 12 cylinder Fcar. Which would you choose between 512TR or 550 M?

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    550, no question

401rpg and G. Pepper like this.
  21. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Good posts above.

I think most owners with more than one Ferrari would like a v8 AND a v12. Just a matter of time and finding the best fit for those types of owners.

I do think age determines your choice primarily if you are only getting one F-car.

With three v8’s - A v12 is next on my list.

Robb

JohnnyRay, NE550, BOKE and 1 other person like this.
  22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That is how Enzo viewed it.... V8 customers only registered so far with him.... V12 customers were true enthusiasts, the rest were just buyers

NE550 and G. Pepper like this.
  23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Bad Boys 2 - Loved that section of the film...... and as a matter of fact, I had test driven 575M a few weeks before (and owned various maseratis and a 360 at the time) and the film scene made me turn the key on a 575M purchase, and all that at the age of 34.

I must say though, you may be right about the mid engine Vette stealing sales, but I think it will affect many models and marques, not just 550/575. That new Vette is a very accomplished car for its money, and I think it looks great.... why would anyone, maybe if they are struggling to put that money together for a first sports/super car, go older car when they can buy a new/nearly new Vette of the current type? You’d have to be a confirmed tifosi, or Porsche fan, or Lambo fan, not to be sold on the new ‘lesser marque/higher performing’ car

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Enzo must have really been confused when the 288 GTO and F40 were born under his watchful eye.

daytona355 likes this.
  25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I own and race vettes and still own and used to race Ferrari’s. My new C8 will be here around January. I have many vette friends and vette racers. You don’t own vettes because you wish you could buy Ferrari. When our fchat brother drove my ex-Argento 550 from California to Montreal in the winter without a breakdown, that’s a story. Drivers document such journeys on fchat. When the 100s of people do that in a vette no one cheers. Success without incident is expected. Ferrari will pioneer the auto-manual gearbox in 1995 and still have reliability issues today in the evolved Ferrari dct today as it pushes the boundary of dct performance. Corvette will have a dct 25 years later but it will be perfect and by now cheap to mass produce. The difference between the two isn’t aspirational. They are different cars with different, raison d’etre.

NE550 and daytona355 like this.