Mondial T tire size question | FerrariChat

Mondial T tire size question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by matfo, Oct 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matfo

matfo Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Sweden
    I just bought my first Ferrari and it's a -92 Mondial T. It is currently completely original and has original 16" rims as you can see on the picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

However, I accidently ran into a set of 355 Challenge rims that I just had to buy. I think the white rims with black Speedline logo will look nice together with the Nero body color.

The question I have is what tire dimension I should go for? I have read a number of threads on the forum but haven't got a clear view of what's perfect for a Mondial.

Currently I'm thinking of these dimensions:
    Front: 245/40x18 (~3,4% larger diameter than original 205/55x16)
    Rear: 285/35x18 (~0,5% larger diameter than orginal 225/55x16, i.e equal to original)

Or should I go for some other dimension front and / or rear?
    All suggestions and input highly appreciated!

Other questions I have is if I need spacers and new wheel bolts with this rims?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JessN16 and paulchua like this.
  2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Had a set of Challenge wheels. Never got around to using them. You will need spacers and new bolts at the very least. Get your car on a jack, and try mounting them sans tires to better see what your up against.
    Before anyone asks my set was sold to a friend here on Fchat.

matfo likes this.
  3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have some custom wheels on my car. I think 8.5 x18 in front and 10x18 in the rear. Not sure what the offset is, I may have the original paperwork (done by prior owner).

From memory, fronts are 235/40 and rears 275/35. At full lock I get the slightest rubbing in the front. But ONLY at FULL lock, so that is rare. I will try to remember to take a look tonight for you when I get home.

Regards,
    Jerry

matfo likes this.
  4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    OK, front wheel 8, not 8.5. Rear is 10. I checked the specs and no info on offset.

Recommended tire size was 225/40 front, which is what I have and 265/35 rear. I have 275/35 on the rear.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. matfo

matfo Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Sweden
    Thanks for your replies!
    I have realized that I definitely should try the rims without tires to see how they fit before making any decisions.
    However, 225/40 and 275/35 seems interesting so I will keep them in mind later.
    Do you have any pictures of those on the car Jerry? Would be interesting to see.

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry

I can post a pic of the wheels, but you really can't see the size of the tires. I may have gone one size bigger on the rears because it matches a tire on one of my other cars. And having a little extra grip in the rear is not a bad thing in a rear engine car.

I have add a wheel pic, from prior owner.

Regards,
    Jerry

Attached Files:

JessN16, Michael B and matfo like this.
  7. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I know this isn't what you are after https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/mondial.html because it gives the original TRX tyres.

However what you might find useful is that if you click on the actual tyres themselves it gives you the dimensions of the original TRX tyres which you might find useful while in a determined manner insisting on fitting 18" wheels so you can spoil the ride and handling of the car!

"Oo you controversial tosser" i hear you say.

"that gobby git from Longstone Tyres is stirring it up again" - and to be fair i am being purposefully controversial for a laugh.

However consider this:- I think when Ferrari first developed the Mondial they fitted 240 section tyres front and rear. However the later model they improved by fitting 220 section front tyres. Or did they do it because they were cheaper?

Any way, for those who care i have the 240/55R390 TRX on the shelf and all being well the 220/55R390 TRX should be back next month.

8. matfo

matfo Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Sweden
    Thanks for the input! :)
    I know that Mondial didn't come with 18" and that fitting those can, and in fact will, change the behavior of the car to some extent.
    However, my car was not fitted with TRX wheels original but 16", so TRX are not an option for me. To be honest, I didn't think that Mondial T came with TRX at all, but I don't know that for a fact.
    When TRX wheels was launched it was supposed to be the perfect (or better) combination between handling and comfort due to it's slightly different construction of tire walls (if I remember correctly). "All" top performance models of mid eighties cars had TRX wheels: Peugeot 505 Turbo, Citroen CX GTi, Alfa Romeo GTV6 for example so I'm glad that they are available for those who want to be strictly original.
    Maybe Ferraris introduction of the electrical adjusted dampers on Mondial T was another way to achieve this combination with non TRX, i.e.16"!?
    Interesting fact that they changed from 240 to 220 widht in the front, I didn't know that.
    As I wrote in my first post, I "accidentally" came across the Challenge rims and I'm not 100% sure to use them but I will try them on and see how it looks to start with.

9. matfo

matfo Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Sweden
    Finally got to mount the 18” 355 Challenge rims. The front tyres is 225/45 and rear is 255/40. It seems to work fine although it’s really tight on the inside in the front. Could maybe add a thin spacer there to get a little more clearance. Rear seems fine but there is already a 15 mm spacer added there.

Next I will need to find suitable centre caps for a resonable price. I would like them to have black instead of yellow bakgrund color but haven’t found any yet in the right size. Any suggestions of where I can find caps is appreciated. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Skickat från min iPhone med FerrariChat

ATLdoghouse likes this.
  10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Looks great! Had a set of Challenge wheels myself, but didn't think they would fit on my 3.2

Not sure how different the 2 might be on wheel offsets.

matfo likes this.
  11. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Cool man, good to see different variations.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

matfo likes this.
  12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  13. matfo

matfo Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Sweden
    Thanks!
    I think the difference in ride / handling is smaller then I thought it would be. However, I haven’t pushed it to the limit but I would guess that the 18” wheels would keep the grip better than the old 16”.

Thanks for the link also, however it is the wrong inner diameter on those caps. It should be 43mm I.D and 56mm O.D.

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  15. matfo

matfo Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Sweden
    Ok, thanks for the link!
    However I was hoping to find black ones a bit cheaper, prefferably for max $100 since I’m not sure if it will look good or not.

16. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Jeka likes this.
  18. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hmm funny isn't it. I have t his from Pirelli in 1990 which lists a rear tyre of 225/50R16 P7. which of course would be much more convenient on the grounds of that is the tyre that has been made.

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting. So Pirelli recommended "shorter" tires (i.e. smaller OD).

However, the later Ferrari Mondial t Owner's Manual (Cat. 709/92) calls for the same sizes as their '89 OM.

Note the 55 Series all around.

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, identical sizing to my 1988 3.2 Mondial per owners manual (and what I have on the car).