Help with iPod stuff | FerrariChat

Help with iPod stuff

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jab458, Sep 7, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jab458

jab458 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2019
    SF Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    hi everyone -

i have searched the forum for answers; i cannot find exactly what i'm hoping for so i'm reaching out with a new thread...

i bought my 458 with the upgraded (JBL) audio and it actually isn't that bad! not exactly audiophile level, but i was impressed.

it came with the iPod cable installed and when i attach an iPod or a Bovee bluetooth unit the "tab" for iPod shows up alongside HDD and CD. so far, so good.

i cannot, however, seem to select iPod in the same way i do the other two choices. i had heard that if a connection is not made (or the cable isn't present/attached correctly) the iPod tab doesn't even show up.

i am sort-of moving the knob/joystick up-and-right/left to select the upper tabs to move between the choices. yet, it never actually lands on and selects iPod.

anyone have any help to offer? i have a feeling i'm close but just not doing something correctly. i'd love to be able to stream from my phone or a bluetooth device; i suppose i could be happy with CDs and satellite radio, but i'm hoping someone here can give me the magic trick!

thanks y'all!

2. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not exactly the same thing but I bought a 30pin to lightning adapter and fished a wire behind the glove box then through the console so the cable exits neatly toward the back. It’s kind of a crap shoot when I plug my phone in that I will have what I think is your issue. Plug in my phone and iPod option will show on screen but you cannot select it. The fix for me is unplug and plug back in until the problem is fixed. I have not messed with it much to figure out why this is happening as it usually only takes a couple times to fix. One time I did get so aggravated that it refused to take I just gave up, but the very next time it took immediately.

3. TomC9786

TomC9786 Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tom Courtney
    I find that I have to turn Bluetooth off and then back on each time I start the car to get the Bovee to work with my iPhone, once I do that I can page over to the iPod tab and successfully start Spotifykr TuneIn radio

Bandit23 likes this.
  4. jab458

jab458 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2019
    SF Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    wow thanks, Tom...i'll try that.
    may i ask - does the iPod tab show up yet inaccessible before you turn on/off bluetooth on the phone?
    and then once you reset bluetooth on phone, the tab is now accessible?
    honestly, i think my iPod cable is faulty; i tried attaching an iPod directly to it and even though the tab is visible, i can't select it.
    so, in my situation it might not even be a bluetooth issue.
    i can hear the little hard drive in the iPod spinning up, then down, then up, then down....etc...
    makes me think the iPod cable is losing connection with the main unit in the glove box.
    thanks again...

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Does the iPod function otherwise? Do you have a newer SSD based iPod with 30 pin connector. Don't use the lightening adapter, it has the absolutely worst audio convertor I've ever heard. You might as well just use the iPhone's speaker. I use an old iPhone 4.

6. jab458

jab458 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2019
    SF Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    hey there!
    yes, the iPod is fully functional. it has the 30pin connector but it is not SSD - it has a little spinning drive in it - it's one of the older gen iPods with 160gb...i have a couple of older nanos with the 30pin, but only with 8gb. i was hoping to use the big one. but mainly i was hoping to get the friggin' bluetooth working so i can stream from AppleMusic.
    yes, the audio convertors on recent Apple products kinda suck.
    i use Astell&Kern players with all my files either in FLAC. ALAC or DSF (sometimes AIFF but no need to waste the space)
    if i get the bluetooth working i can use the A&K players, presumably....
    i wonder if anyone has burned a DVD-R with tons of audio files on it successfully? that's another option...
    thanks!

7. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I’m using Bovee Bluetooth and it’s ok but super annoying for this exact reason.

Turn car on.
    Turn Bluetooth off on phone.
    Turn Bluetooth on on phone.
    Wait for BT to connect.
    Press play.
    Often it automatically pauses again if you’re not connected yet - in that case, again click play
    Scroll screen to iPod
    Sometimes it pauses, if it does press play again on phone. If it plays, great.

This is not horrible, but really a joke when you think about how Bluetooth should work, even hacked together like this. Is there a better way out there?

OP - the above likely solves your problem btw.

JT Rosewater likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you probably have a bad connection and you need to have that checked out.

This is low odds but, I wonder if its the cable or if its that the 458 is expecting the a USB generation iPod. There is a chance your iPod is possibly from when they were using a firewire connection, even with the 30 pins. Its a different voltage. That doesn't mean it won't work because it should still work, but not charge. However, its possible the 458 was programmed to not see older devices. Does the 458 plug charge your iPod? That might be a good place to start- if its charging then there is definitely something wrong with the connection. If its not, I would try a different iPod.

9. JT Rosewater

JT Rosewater Rookie

Jun 22, 2015
    Downtown Los Angeles

THANK YOU!!! The key is keeping the audio/music playing on the phone so the car recognizes the signal. This solves the gray "iPod" right-hand display into white "iPod."

I kept unplugging/plugging before I read this.

10. Owen_Cali30

Owen_Cali30 Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Owen Fowles
    I am sure this has been addressed by now but just in case.... turn Bluetooth off and on on your iPhone whilst playing music and iPod becomes selectable in the onboard menu. Silly but it works :)

11. Gb78460

Gb78460 Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    BIGOT
    Hello
    I have to change the ipod cable of my 458 because the 30 pin connector is broken
    What if you can tell me where is the box to connect the ipod cable
    where in the dashboard
    what parts should be dismantled
    thank you

12. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Hello,
    My Bovee for some reason stopped working. Can anyone send me a link to order the 30 pin connector? Help would be very much appreciated.

13. Gb78460

Gb78460 Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    BIGOT
    Scuderia parts have it
    https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/
    P
    arts number 257948

14. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003