812 Spider or SVJ Convertible | FerrariChat

812 Spider or SVJ Convertible

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Scud8, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Hi Guys,

Since the 812 Spider is now out, I would like to hear your views especially from those who have had the priviledge of seeing both cars in the flesh. Which would you go for? Reason being I have the choice of getting one but not both unfortunately so would like to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you.

2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Which one do you prefer and why? Perhaps sharing your own thoughts first would help provoke the kind of responses that you’re looking for...

3. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I asked this exact question about a month or two ago, in the same predicament. Now that the 812 Spider is out, I’ve decided on Ferrari 100% because of how crappy the transmission is in the Aventador line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    I concur with you on this as I test drove the SvJ Coupe. Also it's not going to be my everyday car so probably can live with that. But the Svj looks more aggressive which I also do like compared to the 812. Am really confused. Then there is the limited 800 for the Svj compared to the 812 which will obviously be more.

5. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Hi scrappy, thanks for your reply and kind of shared my reasons with nycbrose which you will be able to see.

6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I own an 812 and have driven a friend’s standard Aventador. I know of a few Aventador owners who sold their cars because they outgrew the looks and attention it garnered, found it too big and the single clutch gearbox jerky. I have several friends with 812s who love their cars and have no intention of ever selling, unless it’s replaced with a Spider or a VS variant. In my experience, very few cars have earned this level of attachment with their owners. The Aventador seems to be the opposite where numerous experience buyer’s remorse.

Dolceexte and Igor Ound like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Absolutely hate the outdated and jerky transmission of the Aventador.

The interior and looks of the Lambo does nothing for me and I would not be caught dead in a car I think is nothing more than some kind fashion item. It might have a striking appearance, but it grows old quick and I think it has as much class as a binging trust fund kid on a Saturday night.

Not a modern Lambo fan:)

8. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    When the Aventador was first launched in February 2011, I thought it was exciting and striking. A fascinating looking car. However, it hasn’t aged well, to my eyes. Now it is a middle aged man in teenage clothing. I think the Ferrari 812 will age gracefully.

Caeruleus11 and deltona like this.
  9. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks everyone...possibly leaning toward the 812 now. Appreciate all your feedback on this. Many thanks and stay safe everyone!

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    SV variants are over the top and gaudy, but I think the standard Aventador is 10x better looking than an 812. Sounds better and is available right now. Residuals on both will be **** and you'll lose several hundred thousand dollars over a few years. I'm sure the driving experience is completely different though, so I guess that's up to you to decide.

And if you're in the US and not on your dealers list, just how long are you willing to wait for a car? 812 Spider isn't even technically announced yet. You want to wait 1-2 years for a car or do you want one now?

I don't think the Aventador aged poorly. It's still 2x the presence of even the SF90 from what I can tell. No competition. One of the best designed exotics in the last 20-30 years.

[​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki, dustman and R J like this.
  11. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are you tall? If so, forget the Lambo, even with the roof off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster likes this.
  12. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    No I am not 5'10". Thanks

13. dickus25

dickus25 Rookie

Dec 26, 2008
    These are completely different cars, it would be best to own both. I had a black Aventador Roadster and have a green SV Roadster. Both get attention, but the green SV much more. I dont agree it has aged and I dont think the transmission is bad - you just have to know how to drive this car and you will be rewarded with the biggest smile ever. I made more than 40 000km in both Aventadors and 200km in 812 and would always chose an Aventador. My regular Aventador was a daily car and Im waiting for an SVJ Roadster to come next year and it will replace Performate Spider as a daily car.

Surfah, Roland1688 and Thecadster like this.
  14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There's the solution: buy an 812 Spider and a used, normal Aventador. $300K Aventador + $300K 812 Spider = $600K SVJ Roadster

The SVJ cars are insanely overpriced and expensive. Way more than the 812 Spider will be.

nycbrose likes this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

I understand that this is subjective, but you are the first person I have heard saying this...

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Are you saying you at not 5’10”?
    Commas matter....

REALZEUS likes this.
  17. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Good point. The original / standard Aventador without the wings and bits is still stunning. It is the SV that is trying to hard.

18. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Apologies I am 5'10" not 6ft

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Short guys might enjoy the Aventador, I can't get in it, same with Huracan Convertible.
    I'm 6'4"

20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    How can this be a debate? 812 GTS is going to be an all time Ferrari great. Aventador SVJ is just this years Lambo fad.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Eh, it's going to be a standard model going forward and it's not like the 550 or Superamerica are all-time Ferrari classics. Can't think of the last time someone even mentioned or posted a picture of those cars.

There will be normal series convertible V12 GTs from this day forward. The 812 is just the first year.

22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I hope you’re right that these will be easily available. The market exists for this car to be a standard production model. Regardless of numbers and values, there is just so much ‘right’ about this car.