Ceramic & Blankets??? Sline & Fabspeed. | FerrariChat

Ceramic & Blankets??? Sline & Fabspeed.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zack Hawker, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    I have Stock exhaust on my 430. I installed S-line x pipe and the tips melted my paint by the tips. Yikes. Also deck lid was so hot you could not even touch it to open it. Took it off had it ceramic coated. It is still very very hot. No temp reading yet. Deck lid is still super hott, cant be good for the paint/engine bay.
    Question #1.
    I bought header wrap as I am planning on wrapping the Sline on top of the ceramic coating. Any issues with this? Less heat the better, right??
    Question #2.
    I just bought ceramic coated Fabspeed headers.
    I have blankets as well. No harm in installing the blankets right?? Again, less heat the better??
    I have heard you dont need blankets or header wrap if its ceramic coated but The sline still seems super hott. Why not double up?

Any insight, pros and cons are appreciated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I've been told that blankets/wrap often cause smell problems and the way to go is either just have the precats removed from stock headers (360) or get the Tubi which come with inconel shields.

4. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Plenty of threads here and some very specific ones about the headers and address the blankets, ceramic, and wraps. The blankets are the best solution and there is not a smell problem once they are broken in. Wrap will also help for the other parts of the system but difficult to install on installed headers. Ceramic coatings in many cases have not proven to do as much as the blankets or wraps for heat control (not just Ferrari). My choice was to go with Fabspeed headers and blankets, so will see how that works out over time. Your engine bay will be hot, but guessing that wrapping the rest of the pipes will help that. The factory doesn't do that, so unless there are temp measurements to compare to, it's hard to say what "hot" is.

5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I would definetly wrap that x pipe. But one of the problems is ventilation. I have the carbon challange grill and the larger screen on it helps. More importantly, i installed vents under the car just like the scuderia has. Same exact as the scud. Now i at least have air flow in and out

6. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Do you have pics or the part numbers used, or a link to a thread about these vents?

7. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#7 LorenzoR, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Dean Palmer likes this.
  8. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I should add that i dont make nor sell these anymore

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #9 freshmeat, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    The durability of the fabspeed blankets is questionable and have been observed by fchatters as disintegrating pretty rapidly (do a search).

Capristo blankets are bullet-proof and have never failed, cold to the touch even after a session of hot laps. Biggest con is the heftier price tag and perhaps the additional weight.

I think ceramic coating is a big waste of time+money because it does absolutely nothing when the coated part gets to temperature ie generates the same amount of heat as uncoated parts and the heat generated is free to dissipate/soak all over inside the engine bay. The name of the game isn't to reduce the amount of heat generated, that's never gonna happen.

The name of the game is to redirect the heat generated as rapidly out of the car as possible thereby keeping the engine bay temps cooler, that's why the blankets are so much more effective; they keep heat dissipation towards and out the rear of the car, rather than letting the generated heat circulate/soak around the center/under the engine. The naca ducts LorenzoR made for his car help by introducing air flow that help carry hot air out of the car and cool air into the car.

10. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I have the blankets installed on my 430. Will post on how they hold up here in Florida after a while.

11. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I’ve had the fabspeed blankets and headers for two years, still look new. I did have the Capristo exhaust but it was too loud, so I switched to fabspeed. The difference in heat from Capristo to fabspeed was substantial. The Capristo kept the engine bay much cooler, including the lid. It also allowed the engine to breathe far more effectively which was noticeable at higher RPMs. Point of the long preamble is that your exhaust will make a large difference in trapped heat. I would expect the s line to breathe well, but maybe it doesnt

12. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Image Unavailable, Please Login I had Fabspeed blankets on my F355. Material started to fall apart after a couple of years. Now have headers with inconel shields and are great. Very little radiant heat and don't get dirty like the Capristo blankets. Also weigh next to nothing.

13. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    What part of the exhaust system do you attribute the difference in heat to? Was it replacing the cat pipes, muffler canister, or headers? What was different between Fabspeed and Capristo that made the Capristo louder? Headers, cat pipes, or muffler? Just was not clear what changes made the difference for you. Sounds like you had the full Capristo exhaust system, and although louder, was cooler running. Good to hear the Fabspeed stuff is holding up as I have the same.

14. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Only difference for me was the capristo level 3 vs. the Fabspeed catback. Headers in both were Fabspeed and stock Euro Cats. The catback system from Capristo was much more free flowing, when I switched from the Capristo to the Fabspeed the difference in power above 6k RPMs was very noticeable

Dean Palmer likes this.
  15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have AP headers with Capristo blankets, stock main cats and S-line exhaust. No ceramic coating on anything and I’ve had no heat related problems. I did also remove the 2 black grill shields to aid in airflow.

16. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    There is actually dynos suggesting that 4-1 headers like Fabspeed cause the power to drop below standard on certain RPM:s. The 4-2-1 headers like Capristo work a lot better in that respect.

17. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Hey Guys,
    Phil from Fabspeed here.

Thank you for the love on our blankets.

If installed properly we have not had any fail the inside of the blanket is designed to keep the the heat in the header. The outside of the blanket is to reflect the heat away. The engine bay does get very hot no matter what; but the more free flowing the exhaust the less heat that will build up. Getting rid of cats and mufflers helps create a more free flowing-less restrictive exhaust and therefore less heat.

If you ceramic coat the headers I would also heat tape them very well. Ceramic coating works but over time it can crack and flake. Once it starts to flake it no longer works effectively.

Dean Palmer likes this.