2019 Indy Car | Page 23 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    GuyIncognito and pilotoCS like this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. #553 lorenzobandini, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    'Not tryin' to start an argument, but using the same logic, we're gonna hafta take Indy off the calendar too as it's more costly than Pocono, eh?

If you care to, check out the number of deaths, all racing at the tracks (which at Indy is far less) since 1969 (Pocono's debut). Indy 8, Pocono 1.
    'Won't even get into massive injuries.....Indy hands down.

'None much safer than F1 circuits yet it sorrowfully happened this weekend in a F2 race. :(
    Racing is dangerous. The drivers know it and take the risk.
    Mark Donohue prolly rolled in his grave when his widow sued Goodyear. Mario testified at the trial that Mark knew the risks but it was his decision to take them.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah but then it's not IndyCar. it's American F2

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Dixon gets out front; gets a one-in-a-million car failure ....... again. :(

7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Poor attendance was a factor also.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It is not a great venue for the spectator, you are miles away from the action. It is a race better viewed on TV.

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Disagree. The track isn't the problem. Poor driving is. As for the non return...I would say money more than the track. Sanction fee too high, track attendance too low. Makes for difficulties in profitability.

rdefabri likes this.
  10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the facility is not particularly well kept or well run, and when they replace catch fencing with a section of a chain link gate, yes the track is a problem ;)

Nembo1777 and pilotoCS like this.
  11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Oh please . . . Every track suffers from the occasional (maybe frequent) poor driving. Pocono should be plowed under for farm land.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    LOL...

I asked a photo colleague of mine who covers the Indy Car races if Pocono is as big
    a dump as it looks on TV.

His reply was "Worse, much much worse". That about sums it up.

BHW

Nembo1777 and pilotoCS like this.
  13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1000 I visited just once in 1990 when my compatriot Bertil Roos gave me some valuable advice about racing in the US - I had been racing in the UK-.Then we went out in one of his racing school 's road cars, a Saab I think, on the oval and infield. He let me drive, the car had rear suspension that toed out suddenly and massively when the onboard instructor triggered it... So I was a bit busy but still thought it looked like a dump.

rdefabri likes this.
  15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    And they say TV doesn't do racing justice, ha!

BHW

16. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I did the Bertil Roos program at Pocono too, in 2001. Did not think the place was a dump so much as the possibility of slamming into a concrete barrier along the track at 120mph scared me ****less.

18. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Spoken like a real racer. The place will intimidate you. Driven Pocono several times. Both oval and road course. If you are not 100 percent focused on driving the track, you will find the concrete. It lulls you into a false sense of security with the wide corners and the apron. Miss your apex, and the hard realities are your wake up call. But it is fun to drive.

amerikalei and rdefabri like this.
  19. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  20. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Bertil's "slide car" concept, to train your eyes to look where you were heading! Never thought I'd hear about that again. I remember it from my first drivers' school there in 1982. Very cool to have someone like Bertil in the seat next to you giving helpful commentary, before my fist time in a formula Ford.

Pocono was a fairly stark place, but at that time I was familiar with tracks like Nelson Ledges and Indianapolis Raceway Park, and none of them were anything like Mid-Ohio after Trueman bought it, or Barber today. Riverside, where I spent a little time in the mid-80s, was similarly sparse, even Laguna Seca at that time. At the time I wonder if society had not yet been conditioned to all the bells and whistles of accommodation for the affluent. The amateur SCCA fields for open wheel racing were fairly stout back then. I wasn't involved in the 1990-2010, but it seems like the division between the high end tracks and the local courses really took off, which is too bad. Although the FF revival in historic racing is nice to see.

Regardless, I still would like to see Pocono on the calendar. I know it won't happen but even on TV you'd get a sense of how tentative the drivers had to be to really maximize their speed even if it was not wheel to wheel racing most of the time. It was one of those places that had the after the race sense of something extra accomplished, like Indy. I think the veteran IndyCar drivers seemed willing to face it for that reason.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very nice post, yes Pocono is definitely awe inspiring despite the shabbiness. Bertil was very generous with his time that day, I really appreciated it. That school car that had a second personality as a shopping cart was fun and useful for tuition:)

I would like to see Michigan return to the Indycar schedule....that would be something, I recall a great duel there between Montoya and Michael Andretti, fantastic race...

amerikalei and 375+ like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Absolutely Marc, that was a spectacular race. As I recall Michael was leading and he tried to box Montoya in behind a backmarker; Montoya slipstreamed the backmarker and shot past Andretti for the win.

amerikalei likes this.
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes, JP said afterwards that he was prepared to push the backmarker across the line :)

375+ and amerikalei like this.
  24. 'See you got around. 'Ever do the barren Bridge? (hampton) A nothing facility but oooohhhh what a circuit.
    My first road course spectating was the '69 Can Am and club raced there a couple of times in '77.

amerikalei likes this.
  25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #575 Nembo1777, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Indianapolis Raceway park God that brings back memories, I tested a Barber saab Pro series car there June 1990, bit of a basic track, I remember there were some major security issues , IIRC solid things meant for dragstrip use just sticking out on the road course with zero protection and a track management pick up truck crossing the track out of nowhere not far in front of me at top speed.

I then went for a bite to eat at a little road side cafe with another driver and asked for a Perrier water (was new to America then sorry thought you could find it everywhere;-)! but I should have known they would not have it and the Hoosier waiter answered in a gruff voice: "A pair of what?!" Lol.
    That is the only circuit where four time Le Mans winner ex F1 driver Yannick Dalmas tested an Indycar: not a good day exactly....he ended up upside down with scratched helmet on a public road just beside the track...but unhurt.

amerikalei and GuyIncognito like this.