Maserati Mistral Coil Spring Rubber Buffer | FerrariChat

Maserati Mistral Coil Spring Rubber Buffer

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ettore66, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    I am preparing to reassemble the front suspension on my Mistral and see a reference in the parts manual to a rubber buffer at the top of the coil springs. I am certain the coil springs were never removed from my car and there is no sign of any disintegrated rubber. The same part number 47999 appears in the parts manuals for the 3500, Mistral, and Ghibli. Is there a source for this part, or were they even installed originally?

2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hi Ettore. This is what was on the top of the front springs on my Ghibli. I too believe the suspension has never been apart. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate a source for replacements. Cicognani in Italy do not list it, and the metal/rubber discs they offer for the Iso Grifo don’t fit apparently. McGrath Maserati in the UK said they have seen cars both with and without the insert. I imagine the rubber raises the front ride height and makes the ride a bit softer, but also maybe stops the springs squeaking. I am still pondering what to do. Let us know if you come across a supplier.

Best regards.

Mark.

3. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    Thanks, Mark. I appreciate your effort and especially for letting me know about Cicognani in Italy. I can assume if they don't list it, it's not available. Interchangeability with other car makes also seems highly unlikely.

4. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    #4 JCR, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    Brilliant! Found a perfect fit insulator that matches my springs nearly perfectly. Many thanks for a great suggestion.

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Michael...

Please provide the details on company, where, and part number of what you found, if possible...

Thanks..

Mike

7. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    Hello Mike,

I measured the top of my coil spring housing and the dimensions of the coil and the best generic spring isolator seemed be the one available at Summit Racing. Their part number is ENS-9-6101G. Availability of the original factory part seems unlikely and it also appears to be a three part set based on the parts manual. I've attached a photo of the original rubber buffer remnants and what appears to be a retaining ring that secured it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
  9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Michael...

Great work !!!!! Thank you for posting details and pictures.. I will start looking into this product as well !

Mike (Mexico074)….

10. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Well spotted Wilde!
    So this should suit all front engined Maserati GT cars from 3500 until Khamsin?

Julian

11. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Certainly !

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So reasonably priced too :rolleyes: At $22 the Energy Suspension is a nice alternative for half of the solution. I bet there are others made of actual rubber out there as well if you don't care for a urethane solution. I've used ES products for the sway bar bushings on my Espada. They hold up much better and you can get them with zerk fittings for lubrication. That isn't original looking though.