?Was Leclerc right to deny Vettel a last quali tow? | FerrariChat

?Was Leclerc right to deny Vettel a last quali tow?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    In light of his victory?

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    No, he wasn’t right to do it, but I think the confusion of that stupid lap, with everything going nuts around him, I think LeClerc started to panic that he wouldn’t get his own lap in, and when vettel himself, seemingly only making half hearted attempts to get clear enough for a run, didn’t move soon enough, LeClerc decided to ensure his own lap, rather than hang around and miss out completely. Therefore, I have to forgive the guy his mistake. I hope it doesn’t cause issues with Seb for future races, but I can’t think of any that require the tow to such an extent

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #3 Igor Ound, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Thing that saddens me is that Vettel did everything perfectly Saturday including giving a tow to his young teammate and driving a perfect lap but his race was already compromised. Probably, though, if Charles hurried up and got in front, everybody else would have improved and no Ferraris would have started on the front row or won.

Ferrari should have given Vettel the tow first, if they consider him number 1

sampelligrino, Bas, VPX and 2 others like this.
  4. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    certainly the Mercedes were supposedly able to find some more speed in the last lap had they got it in, and we know LeClerc/Ferrari pace already, so you are right, likely another Elton pole, and then we are hoping for a slipstream at the start or we automatically lose

Bas likes this.
  5. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    In light of Vettel's race, it doesn't matter. Vettel not getting a good slipstream from Charles in qualifying is down to team tactics not being the best. Fortunately for them, other teams messed up too. And in the end, would it have been better to have Vettel spin out and cause trouble from P1 or P2?

VPX likes this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I don't think it was a matter of yes or no at Monza. It was the weird Q3 scenario as a whole that "denied" Vettel a tow. It was not Leclerc's decision in the least.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #7 Igor Ound, Sep 9, 2019
    Why, could he not push on the accelerator? Vettel was waiting for him to go in front for the whole lap.

Look at him signalling to go after he got on front because Leclerc was so slow.

As also Binotto stated Leclerc was at fault

stavura, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    How was he to pass those going slow in front of him? Look, the whole thing is a lesson learned the hard way. They were ALL complicit. It was interesting that you mention Binotto because ultimately, this whole mess can be laid at the feet of the team managers, no?

VPX and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Vettel is done, finished, finito, etc.! Lec shall not collaborate with Vettel anymore.

Surfah, catdog and william like this.
  10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Team discipline comes first always but I don't get exactly what the problem is. A lot of caos in that lap but Leclerc was ahead of Vettel at the Parabolica to give the tow.

VPX and daytona355 like this.
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Make-up your mind: Mark Hughes in "Motorsport Magazine" has this to say: (this is why Binotto said to Leclerc after he has won in the radio "Congratulations, Charles; everything else is forgotten": this is the "everything else")

Rgds

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/2019-italian-grand-prix-race-report-steely-leclercs-monza-masterclass

[…] Vettel — who had towed Leclerc to that provisional pole — was clearly animated about Leclerc, who was supposed to be returning the favour on this run but was backing off and not forcing his way through the dawdlers. Leclerc was keen to get a tow from one of them and was prioritising that more than his agreement with the team about towing Vettel to a time that might beat his own provisional pole. Seb eventually got by the Renault and McLaren but then backed off again, instructed to let Leclerc repass to give the tow. At this point Sainz repassed Vettel and was the only one to make it across the line before the chequer. Hamilton mistakenly thought it had been the Ferrari drivers doing the blocking at the front.

Vettel was furious with Leclerc and later commented: “I thought we had spoken about it. I definitely listened to what we intended to do… but we weren’t doing what we were supposed to do and that’s why it was a mess and I didn’t get a run in the end. I’m not entirely happy because I thought it was clear what we communicated beforehand… I was the one trying to indicate ‘Get out of the way’ because it was clear that I should be the one behind in the second run and getting a tow, because I was the first one in the first run. People were slowing down, Charles was slowing down and in the end I didn’t get across the line… The [first run] was good, the car was very good and I had a really good lap. I just had no tow. That was the difference between pole and not pole today.”

A full and frank discussion reportedly followed in the Ferrari debrief and Leclerc was held accountable. He’s had tougher things than that to deal with and, rather like Hamilton at Hungary 2007, was quite willing to graduate from grateful apprentice to a hard, seasoned pro ready to fight his own corner even at the expense of team harmony. Something very significant happened at Ferrari on Saturday.

stavura, VPX, I'm 360 Canuck and 7 others like this.
  12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Vettel only .15 down in his quali lap shows he had a great lap...tow is worth 2+ tenths.

stavura, dflett, Igor Ound and 2 others like this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Exactly. His posistion was correct. It was NOT Leclerc's fault that time ran out. Silly discussion.

catdog, william, daytona355 and 3 others like this.
  14. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Vettel finally got a taste of his own medicine from his Red Bull days.

DF1, bmwracer, Surfah and 4 others like this.
  15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Can not claim Leclerc denied something when it never happened.

pilotoCS, william and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  16. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    "Multi 21, Seb, Multi 21..."

VPX, 375+ and catdog like this.
  17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #17 Igor Ound, Sep 9, 2019
    This is exactly what happened. Thank you so much.

In the larger scheme Leclerc might have been right to behave like that but he wasn’t fair to Vettel at the time

stavura, VPX and daytona355 like this.
  18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "In the larger scheme" that whole farcial situation would never have happened. What wasn't fair to Vettel was also not "fair" to EVERYONE involved, including the fans. It's silly to try to assign blame to Leclerc or any one individual regarding this cluster ****.

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Leclerc was sacrificed for the benefit of Vettel for half of the season.

Now he has asserted himself and showed who is de facto Number One at Ferrari.

VPX, ingegnere, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    He won the race, so in my book he made the right call to get himself the pole and win the race. Ferrari need more like this from him. The drought has gone on for far too long.

VPX, ingegnere, Jeronimo GTO and 4 others like this.
  21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    That’s not the point

daytona355 likes this.
  22. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Go Charles Go!
    Enough Vettel, he has been giving inconsistent performance and clearly has lost the fire...
    He can't make it happen... He needs to see a sports motivational psychologist and/or retire... He has not been right ever since he brake checked Hamilton in Baku and kept making mistakes and throwing two good years away....
    Enough is Enough... Thank Goodness we have Leclerc now, a ray of sunshine and hope...

ingegnere and william like this.
  23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Elton brake checked him, and seb merely gave him a little tap coming up alongside to make the prat aware that seb was angry about it. He was lucky really, if I was seb I’d have put him square in the wall

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Bas and VPX like this.
  24. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    #24 catdog, Sep 9, 2019
    I really hate Mercedes both Toto Wolf and Hamilton's characterization of events and just for being such sour pusses....
    All these comments about new drivers being reckless and veiled threats etc...
    Fact is, if you look at the video, Charles' car was 1/2 a car length in front of Hamilton, the reckless move was from Lewis, because there was simply no room to execute his pass on the outside since Charles was on the inside and half a car length ahead. Lewis was going to force the pass on Charles by intimidation.
    Love the way Charles handled the press and the entire BS around the "mistakes" he purportedly made; if it was Verstappen instead of Leclerc this would have been characterized as good driving by the Dutch.
    Also, shame on Binotto to bring "the mistake" from Saturday at a time when Charles had just saved Ferrari-Nation from a near-decade drought of victories at Monza and reenergized the Tifosi from that drawn-out mediocre B-/C+ performance of Vettel over the past few years ...

DF1, Bas, stavura and 6 others like this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 and Charles may have saved Binotto's ass with this win.

catdog, Jeronimo GTO, VPX and 4 others like this.