488 value | FerrariChat

488 value

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FL410guy, Sep 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FL410guy

FL410guy Karting

Apr 18, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale
    With the new F8 spider announced, where do you guys the pricing for a 488 being in 6 months?
    10 months?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Less than what it is today.

Maciek, tekaefixe, RyanFoH and 12 others like this.
  3. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    Haha

4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    That is the most accurate answer there is. No one can ever predict what a cars value will be in 6 months or 10 months. There are too many variables. The only answer is what SoCal posted.

5. FL410guy

FL410guy Karting

Apr 18, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale
    Good point. And LOL. I guess I was trying to speculate (Entertainment purposes) what guys were thinkin.

Thanks again fellas!

6. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    No worries. It’s like asking people on the internet what a certain stock will be worth in 6 or 10 months. It is just speculation. With that being said Ferrari has announced shorter life cycles for the cars moving forward. The F8 is a fill in car with a 2 year run. Other than very limited cars I think you will see greater depreciation than has been seen in the past by Ferrari. Also in increase in production means more cars and more depreciation. Lots of variables.

7. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

A milder depreciation curve is possible given Ferrari's apparent upmarket pricing strategy.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive never seen this work - in fact id go the other way. charging more just makes the used car more of used car.

daflk, Shark01, dustman and 1 other person like this.
  9. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Back the original post, it seems like there is an excess of 488s available from sellers that are a little resistant to lowering prices. I think that prices will drop noticeably as people move to the f8 given a number of consumers that must have the newest thing and care less about taking a depreciation hit. I dont see the 488 holding any unique traits (gated shifter, NA ICE, etc) to hold value like models before. Im currently looking at 458s and the selection is kind of tough for what i have in mind. I might be inclined to move to a 488 next year if i dont find the spec im looking for because because of relatively better selection and a narroeing gap between the 458 and 488 prices. Another thought with respect to the used market is the 7 year maintenance plan which will still be in place for 488s. Buyers like me looking at later model 458s and being frustrated with selection may be more likely to set aside the need for the NA engine and whatnot for what may be a better value in a newer model 488 that also offers better performance. Just my 0.02. I think if we get any drop, it will be when those buyers for f8s trade in their cars, but no idea on how far of a drop.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

488GTScarbon and Chizz like this.
  10. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    there is one aspect, which is completely subjective and up to every individual to place their respective value on it (high to 0)- 488 is the last ICE ME V8 Ferrari as of right now without the particle filter/hot tube solution. I don't expect any sort of value retention because of it, so I'm not tooting it like last of NA or last of Pininfarina which many place an emphasis on, just one thing to note for anyone who might care

For me, I love the 488 sound so I value that, time will tell if Ferrari managed to engineer their way around the GPF to ensure the F8 still sounds great. This is important to me regardless of whether the market values it or not, as resale value is something I'm never concerned with as it relates to cars. Expect 488 prices to drop just as every outdated non limited car should

The 458 is truly great, as is the 488. OP I would spend time driving both and see which one tugs at your heartstrings, then make that work rather than what would be the best value or most accessible. I think that's what will make you happiest. I'm blown away by my 488 and much prefer it to the 458. Most prefer the 458 whether they are an owner driving the car or not, and I'd guess they would say the 7 year maintenance plan is not worth the move to the newer turbo'd car to sacrifice the Pininfarina looks or NA experience. Or they might place value on the fact that the 458 could be worth more down the road. Just my 2 cents

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    488 values will of course be dropping, lots of owners will be trading it to get an F8. Nothing to do with the 488 though: this has always happened and will always happen whenever a new model is launched.

Prices will drop and there will be a lot of 488s to choose from. Owners who’ll trade it in, won’t care about depreciation and there will be a lot of greatly spec’d 488s out there for sale at a super pre-owned price. Win-win.

Unlike the 458, the 488 hasn’t reached its maximum depreciation. I’m watching this closely, as I’m a sucker for the 488 Spider.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

488GTScarbon, Viper830tt and MANDALAY like this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Test driving a 458 doesn't really give you the full experience. To truly love and understand why the 458 is a better all round car to the 488, you really need to own both for an extended period of time.

Some people definitely love the 488 for sure. For me, the 458 is more of a true Ferrari than the 488 or the F8. I think we are going to see an increasing backlash from people as Ferrari continues to churn out cars like the 488, the F8, the SF90, etc. Yes, those cars are more technologically advanced, but they also continue to move further and further away from Ferrari's roots and what has historically drawn such a select and discriminating type of person to dreaming of one day owning a Ferrari.

The day a used 458 fetches more than a comparable used 488 isn't far off I don't think. It's going to simply be a function of supply and demand. More and more people are selling their 488's and going back to the 458 - maybe not huge droves, but you are starting to see those types of comments crop up more routinely. There is simply no path forward if you demand a certain type of experience from your Ferrari. The only way to get that is to go shopping for a well cared for 458 or 812 Superfast or something like that - or even a used 360 or Scuderia.

Myself, I've owned the 355, the 360, the 458 and the 488. I declined my F8 allocation and have zero interest in the SF90. I doubt anything in the future will qualify either. I'm already debating just going back and re-buying my old 458. Either that or stepping into an 812.

To me, it seems that Ferrari cannot produce a good sounding car and also meet EPA and EU exhaust standards. It's just a byproduct of laws and regulations. Stuff like turbos, catalytic converts and now GPF's have ruined the NA exhaust note show. If you don't care what your car sounds like at any RPM, then none of this matters. But to a lot of us, it does. What Ferrari really should do is get off the "we must chase McLaren's straight line o-60 and HP figures at all costs" and get back on with making a powerful N/A exotic car that sounds amazing when you drive it. Just engineer the exhaust system so I can remove it and replace it with something else. That's all I ask.

Personally, I don't care if my car is 1/10th of a second faster around Fiorano next year, if driving it on the highway and around town makes me wonder if $300K would better be spent elsewhere.

Values for the 488 aren't heading any place but down.

Ray

tekaefixe, anishka, daflk and 6 others like this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i agree. so many people finance these things and look at going to the next model almost like a lease....i think staying 3 years behind is a great way to get the most amount of value

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    458 is the least risky way to go....downside is finite and enjoyment is on par or greater with all the new stuff.....if you value sound, looks, and NA the 458 is the easy winner...

15. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    Ok I will take a shot at this. My guess is, in 10 months from now, prices for 488's and 458's will be about the same

anishka, daflk, Graz and 2 others like this.
  16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Except it is slower. a LOT slower in seat of the pants balls to the wall acceleration And, after all isn't that what owning a Ferrari is all about?

wrs, MANDALAY and Dicecal like this.
  17. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    FWIW, the non-Ferrari dealer who purchased my 488 Spider in May has sold it and 2 other 488’s since then. There were 3 458’s in his inventory back then and they have yet to sell. I asked him why they are still in inventory and he said because the market is soft and he can afford to hold his asking prices for now. He purchased the 488’s at good numbers and they were still under warranty, a big selling point according to him.
    He feels the whole exotic market is saturated right now so deals can be made.

18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mark,

Although I get your point, for some speed isn’t what it’s all about. For some, it’s part of the experience, but a long way from being the chief concern when buying a car.

If speed is the only criteria, then imvho we’d all be better off driving Teslas or other electric supercars. Those things are a catapult right from the off.

Like Top Gear’s James May once said when talking about the Speciale: a Ferrari should be like music, something to stimulate your senses. Speed is a matter of numbers, and mathematics doesn’t do that.

I think in time, 458s will be worth more than 488s, and 488s more than F8s. In any case, I don’t see the depreciation of the 488 as a problem: a lot of Ferrari for half or less than that from new will prove an irresistible deal to some. And soon it will be a lot of car, a lot, for relatively little money. The 488 will always be a popular Ferrari, a proper Ferrari and will always spark interest from prospective buyers, regardless of the ammount of money it will be worth at the bottom of its depreciating curve, and regardless if the 458 will be worth more in the future like most predict, me included.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Viper830tt likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no - that's what having an 8 second mustang is for....to say it is ALOT slower is an exaggeration - if making money by racing is what fed my family, maybe it wld be a concern. driving around with an average speed of 25 mph, ill take the looks, sound, NA and 97 percent of the speed.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Considering the fact that the production line is currently pumping out Pistas like there's no tomorrow, and that there are still a few 488 Spiders in the pipeline, it might take a while before the F8 Spider will hit the streets. They will also need to start F8 T before the Spider. Not sure the F8 Spider will have a major impact within the next 6 months.
    So as SoCal said. Less than now, and your guess is as good as everyone else's.

Personally, I suspect that the F8 Spider will have a greater impact on the 488 Spider, than the F8 T will have on the 488 GTB. Kind of strike me that many are very excited about the F8 Spider design, including myself. I am not a fan of the F8 T, but I can't deny the F8 S is a bit of a homerun. How many will be scared off by the sound is too early to say, but even for a freak like me that prefer the 488 to the 458 in this regard, the F8 is quite a dull dry fart in the sound department.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Sadly the OP question specific to 488 has gone the usual pathway of 458 is better than 488!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ash Patel and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Owning a Ferrari is so much more than "balls to the wall" acceleration.

I think the fact that so many Ferrari buyers today are very focused on and obsessed with stuff like top speed, 1/4 mile times and lap times is what helps Ferrari sell cars like the F8 or SF90. People no longer care about how the car sounds, how it drives, or the overall experience... as long as it's faster than the exotic car they park next.

I'm all for having a car that is blindingly fast, but there's got to be more to it than that. Otherwise, I'd just go buy a Mk4 Toyota Supra, build an 800+ HP 2JZ and save myself $250K in the process.

Ray

Chizz and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yup.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    488 only way is down.

25. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I completely agree Nuno. While I love the 488 I was looking at getting a 458 because of expense. Now I’m going to wait awhile for the prices to drop on the 488s. Can’t wait to get one.

Viper830tt and AlfistaPortoghese like this.