Buying used | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Buying used

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by red308, Sep 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Does the dealer do an inspection prior to coverage? Do they care if during the warranty period you perform your own maintenance? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Car will have to be inspected by the dealer and have repairs done (if required) to get the warranty. There is nothing else really to maintain as the 7 year annuals cover the fluids and filters plus belts. You can/will replace the battery though and that one sucks if you do it yourself.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I dont know i wld never and have never bought an extended warranty. Suckers bet.

Thecadster and Jaguar36 like this.
  4. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    Do you know what dealers will charge for the inspection? One used 812 I am looking at would be a purchase from an independent dealer who has a customer car on consignment. It is fairly new with very low miles so I don't think any detailed inspection is required but at some point, maybe during the first annual service, I could request the detailed inspection. Thanks.

5. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    You can never get a discount on a new one. As posted above they are all made to order and all MSRP. As for making a 12% offer on a used one you can make any offer you want. Up to the dealer on if they will accept it. Depends on how quickly they want to move inventory and how much they paid for it. Good luck.

6. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Call up your local dealer and ask. I think they can be different from dealer to dealer.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Now im starting to wonder if this op is legit. You are about drop 700k pretax dollars on a car and you wondering what an inspection my cost?!?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

killer58 likes this.
  8. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I was wondering that too. 812 would still be under warranty so if they are for real, buy it and enjoy it. Any issues would be sorted out under warranty.

9. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    I can assure you I am legit. I am just very detail oriented before making a $400k purchase as a retiree. Everything adds up but the concern on the dealer inspection is not necessarily the cost. Will they be reluctant to do it if I purchase a car from out-of-state and not from a Ferrari dealer?

10. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    There should be no issue to do an inspection and/or service the vehicle. I would simply call your local dealer and ask them.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you dont have an assistant who can make a couple phone calls first order rather than doing only second order due dili?

12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just purchased a powertrain warranty on my 2012 FF that I bought from a 3rd party. The car was turning 7 yrs old and still had a last service due under the Ferrari Maintenance program. The dealer did the service and charged me $6k for inspection and one year warranty. You can buy the warranty every year until car is 15 yrs old or 56k miles

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

red308 likes this.
  13. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    Retired, no assistant, if that is the type of one you mean. I reached out to one of my local dealer contacts and he just resigned after 16 years. I have a call into my another local dealer contact. Waiting to hear back.

14. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m with you on that. Until my Lusso and failed PTU....I love the car and $12K for 2 more years of worry free driving I’m signing up....nowadays it’s much much much cheaper than trading for something different

The extended warranty is not getting the car inspected and seeing what the find. It’s telling the dealer you want the warranty, then doing the inspection and then paying for it. If the car is still under the factory warranty, which it will be, anything they find will be fixed. Why pay for the inspection and not get it warrantied? Just ask for a PPI then but my guess it’s not as extensive

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you have a line on an 812 then it should have OEM bumper-bumper warranty for three years from first sale. The dealer should sell it to you as a CPO item with the remainder of the warranty in place. I think this is true even if you purchase from a non-Ferrari dealer but others may know for sure about that. You get three years for everything then you go year by year with the prices stated earlier. Better to purchase from a dealer in the long run. Dealer loyalty pays off if you stick it out.

16. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    A quick update -

I did make an offer of 12% under MSRP and it was not accepted.

I did find out that some dealers always sell their pre-owned cars as Certified Pre Owned. From what I understand this is a pre-requisite if you want factory year-4 and year-5 bumper-to-bumper warranty (same as years 1-3). I do not know if it can by CPO'd after the fact. The 101-point inspection apparently takes about 3 hours so just the std hourly shop rate for cost.

I also learned that some dealers have new cars that they cannot advertise. One dealer I spoke to had 3 that were apparently customer cancellations. One was a 2020.

It appears as though the dealers price pre-owned cars trying to cover the lease buy-out prices. One dealer said about 70% of their used cars are on consignment from customers who leased. I studied the Ferrari lease deprecation schedule. A new 2020 812 with an MSRP of $435k in 18 months would have a lease payoff of $381k. That equates to 12% depreciation over in 18 months. Coincidentally, most '19s I have looked at are asking around $385-410 depending upon options. I pressed one dealer on what they would need to be made whole on a car and the answer was $380k.

It was also interesting to see how the dealers are pricing used cars at or about the same price. From what I understand, dealership GMs routinely check used prices on the popular car sites and then adjust accordingly.

My search continues...

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Buy an f12 and revisit in 3 yrs - u will have the pick of ur choice

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  19. red308

red308 Karting