488 - Battery Voltage Readings | FerrariChat

488 Battery Voltage Readings

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    When I'm cruising, the battery voltage display bounces around significantly from the high 11's to mid 13's. Is this normal, indicative of a bad battery, or indicative of an alternator problem? I checked and the car still has the OEM battery which is now about 2 years old.

2. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Normal, both my 488 spider and Portofino do the same!

sampelligrino likes this.
  3. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Thanks. Nonetheless, I think I'm going to swap out the OEM battery for the interstate MTX-48 for a little more peace of mind.

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

With a fully charged Interstate battery, typically low 12's (on accel) to low 14's (on decel) will be realized. With an OEM Ferrari battery reading high 11's to mid 13's, be prepared for a failure. I would replace the battery ASAP and also carry a portable jump starter.

338Lapua and sampelligrino like this.
  5. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Thanks. Yeah, driving the other day my dash went blank for a moment. Fortunately the car came back in a second or so and kept on going. New battery is supposed to arrive today. Hopefully that's the only issue.

6. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Don't have experience with the OEM Ferrari bat, I replaced it the moment I took delivery. Same as Joe I'm seeing low 12s to low 14s is what I'm seeing on my aftermarket Odyssey, for whatever reason it varies quite a bit from accel to decel as mentioned. On my 911 it usually stays at high 13s to mid 14s

probably a good call!

7. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Interesting.....my 458 Spider voltage will go between 13v to just over 14v during a drive. I agree with Viperjoe and you obviously felt the same way about replacing the battery.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It's probably not the battery. It's something to do with the logic Ferrari used in the 488 vs. the 458 I believe.

In the 458, the charging system seems to function more like any old car would - the alternator puts out max voltage and then a regulator controls it. This is probably why you see 13 to 14 volts with the 458. It's also why the charging system of the 458 charges up the Braille battery fully, whereas the 488 doesn't quite get it.

With the 488, the voltage ranges all over the place. I suspect that Ferrari has done something where the car attempts to reduce the demand on the alternator, based on some logic with the RPM's, charging system output and battery needs (or something crazy along those lines). My guess is that placing less demand on the alternator frees up engine HP, whenever the ECU deems that the charging system doesn't require any voltage much over 12.x or so.

All I know is the i48CS battery worked flawlessly in my 458 and yet in the 488 it could never obtain a 100% charge (and thus required occasional topping off).

This is all just based on seat of the pants driving, practical experience and what I suspect is going on - so I could be totally wrong on some of these points.

BTW, if you have a digital volt meter, it's easy enough to check the state of your car battery. Just check the terminals and read the voltage, then reference this chart:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is for a standard battery. The cell voltage on a lithium Ion battery is going to be different. Typically a fully charged, standard car battery will show around 12.70 to 12.75 volts when all is well and the battery is fully charged. If you drive your car and come home, you should be seeing 12.70 all day long. If you check the next couple of days (with the car's ECU drawing away), it's going to be lower of course, but you shouldn't be seeing readings down much below about 12.45 to 12.50 volts usually on a healthy battery.

Ray

Gcsdave, daflk, Solid State and 2 others like this.
  9. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Actually thought about the same thing (i.e. differences in charging strategy between 458 and 488), so thanks for posting the information. Although 11V seems low when driving, but who knows?

RayJohns likes this.
  10. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It's a function of the "Smart Alternator". It minimizes the parasitic power loss by essentially decoupling the alternator (electronically or mechanically, I'm not sure) when under power.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If I was President of Ferrari, S.p.A., the first thing I would do tomorrow morning, when I arrived at the office, is fire the people who came up with this Smart Alternator idea.

Ray

DebbieSidera likes this.
  12. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I would also fire the team that designed the battery compartment. It is no small feat to swap out the battery on the 488. Not technically difficult but a total PIA. Should have stuck it in the bonnet with easy access from the top instead of cortorted as one is half sprawled across the door sill and half up under the glove box. Got the old one out and the new one 90% installed before my arms, shoulders, and back said enough for one night.

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, that's no joke. I have a funny video on YouTube showing installing a battery into my 488. The 458 was a lot more straight forward.

Ray

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    One word: F12. Then tell me about it. :)